Point-of-care ultrasound used to exclude penile fracture
This is a case report of a superficial penile hematoma that was difficult to distinguish clinically from a penile fracture. Such cases occur with relative frequency, and because definitive treatment is an urgent surgery, timely diagnosis is essential to avoid complications. Typical imaging modalities such as cavernosonography and magnetic resonance imaging can be invasive (cavernosonography) or time consuming (magnetic resonance imaging) and may not be readily available. Ultrasound has been used successfully in such cases, and, in this case, we used point-of-care ultrasound combined with a brief period of observation to exclude penile fracture.
- McAninch JW, Santucci RA: Genitourinary trauma. In Campbell’s urology. 8th edition. Edited by: Walsh PC, Retick AB, Vaughan ED, Wein AJ. Saunders, Philadelphia; 2002.
- Nomura JT, Sierzenski PR: Ultrasound diagnosis of penile fracture. J Emerg Med 2010,38(3):362–365. CrossRef
- Koifman L, Cavalcanti AG: Penile fracture - experience in 56 cases. International Braz J Urol 2003,29(1):35–39. CrossRef
- Bhatt S, Kocakoc E: Sonographic evaluation of penile trauma. J Ultrasound Med 2005, 24:993–1000.
- Beysel M, Tekin A: Evaluation and treatment of penile fractures: accuracy of clinical diagnosis and the value of corpus cavernosonography. Urology 2002, 60:492–496. CrossRef
- Fedel M, Venz S: The value of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of suspected penile fracture with atypical clinical findings. J Urol 1996, 155:1924–1927. CrossRef
- Koga S, Saito Y: Sonography in fracture of the penis. Br J Urol 1993, 72:228–229.
- Forman HP, Rosenberg HK: Fractured penis: sonographic aid to diagnosis. AJR AM J Roentgenol 1989, 153:1009–1010.
- Bertolotto M, Neumaier CE: Penile sonography. Eur Radiol 1999,9(suppl 3):S407-S412. CrossRef
- Gedik A, Kayan D: The diagnosis and treatment of penile fractures: our 19-year experience. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 2011,17(1):57–60. CrossRef
- Point-of-care ultrasound used to exclude penile fracture
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Critical Ultrasound Journal
- Online Date
- July 2012
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Penile hematoma
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Emergency Medicine, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, 5005 North Piedras Street, El Paso, TX, 79920, USA
- 2. Department of Emergency Medicine, Darnall Army Medical Center, 36000 Darnall Loop, Fort Hood, TX, 76544, USA
- 3. Division of Urology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose Street, Kentucky, KY, 40536, USA