Subcellular localization of 241Am in structural components of submerged macrophyte of the River Yenisei Elodea canadensis
We studied the microdistribution of the artificial radionuclide 241Am in the components of Elodea canadensis - a submerged macrophyte of the Yenisei River. The alpha-track analysis showed that the microdistribution of 241Am within different components of the submerged plant E. canadensis was not uniform. 241Am distribution was found to be affected by the age of the leaf blades, state of the cells, and morphological features of the plant stem. The radionuclide 241Am penetrated into the plant cells through the cell wall of E. canadensis, but it was accumulated in the vacuoles rather than in the cell wall or cytoplasm. In this case, the integrity of the cell membranes was not damaged.
- Abernethy, VJ, Sabbatini, MR, Murphy, KJ (1996) Response of Elodea canadensis Michx. and Myriophyllum spicatum L. to shade, cutting and competition in experimental culture. Hydrobiologia 340: pp. 219-224 CrossRef
- Barrat-Segretain, H (2001) Invasive species in the Rhone River floodplain (France): replacement of Elodea canadensis Michaux by Elodea nutallii St. John in two former river channels Arch Hydrobioljgia 152: pp. 237-251
- Coates, J Interpretation of infrared spectra, a practical approach. In: Meyers, RA eds. (2000) Encyclopedia of analytical chemistry. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, pp. 10815-10837
- Floriani, M (2005) Subcellular localization of radionuclides by transmission electronic microscopy: Application to uranium, selenium and aquatic organisms. Radioprotection 40: pp. S211-S216 CrossRef
- Ilic R, Durrani SA: Solid state nuclear track detectors. Elsevier Science, USA; 2003:685. [In: Handbook of radioactivity analysis]
- Nakamoto, K (2009) Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds. Part A: theory and applications in inorganic chemistry. Wiley, New York
- Omel’yanenko, B, Petrov, V, Poluektov, V (2007) Behavior of uranium under conditions of interaction of rocks and ores with subsurface water. Geology of Ore Deposits 49: pp. 378-391 CrossRef
- Puzyr’, AP, Mogil’naya, OA, Tirranen, LS (1998) Architectonics of Flavobacterium sp. 56 and Flavobacterium sp. 22 colonies as exposed by transmission electron microscopy. Microbilogiya (Microbiology). 67.
- Reisen, D, Marty, F, Leborgne-Castel, N (2005) New insights into the tonoplast architecture of plant vacuoles and vacuolar dynamics during osmotic stress. BMC Plant Biol 5: pp. 13 CrossRef
- Subcellular localization of 241Am in structural components of submerged macrophyte of the River Yenisei Elodea canadensis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Aquatic Research
- Online Date
- August 2012
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Submerged macrophyte
- The Yenisei River
- Subcellular localization
- Elodea canadensis