Evaluation of Helicobacter Pylori eradication in pediatric patients by triple therapy plus lactoferrin and probiotics compared to triple therapy alone
To evaluate whether the addition of a probiotic could improve Helicobacter pylori (H.P.) eradication rates and reduce the side effects of treatment in children.
Between July 2008 and July 2011 all patients with a clinical, laboratory and endoscopic diagnosis of H.P. positive gastritis referred to our Unit were included in the study. Patients suffering from allergy to any of drugs used in the study, with previous attempts to eradicate H.P. and those who received antibiotics, PPIs or probiotics within 4 weeks were excluded from the present study. Patients were randomized into two therapy regimens (group A and B): both groups received standard triple treatment (omeprazole, amoxicillin and clarithromycin) while only group B patients were also given a probiotic (Probinul - Cadigroup). Patients compliance was evaluated at the end of the treatment. Successful eradication was defined as a negative 13 C-urea breath test (C13-ubt) result four weeks after therapy discontinuation.
A total of 68 histopathologically proven H.P.-infection children (32 male and 36 females) were included in the study. All of the patients in both groups used more than 90% of the therapies and no patients were lost at follow up. All side effects were selflimiting and disappeared once the therapy was terminated. Epigastric pain was observed in 6 (17.6%) group A vs 2 (5.8%) group B patients (P<0.05), nausea in 3 (8.8%) group A vs 1 (2.9%) group B patients (P<0.05); vomiting and diarrhea were observed in 2(5.8%) and 8 (23.5%) group A patients, respectively and never in group B (P<0.05). There was no significant difference between the two groups in terms of constipation (5.8% in group A and B). Four weeks after the completion of therapy, 56/68 patients (82.3%) tested negative for H.P. on C13-ubt. H.P. was eradicated in 26 patients (76.4%) in group A and in 30 patients (88.2%) in group B. There was no significantly difference in the rate of H.P. eradication between group A and group B (p=0.1), although the success rate for H.P. eradication was higher in group B than in group A.
The addition of a probiotic formula to triple therapy significantly decreased the frequency of epigastric pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Suerbaum S, Michetti P: Helicobacter pylori infection. N Engl J Med 2002, 347:1175–1186. CrossRef
- Malfertheiner P, Mégraud F, O'Morain C, Hungin AP, Jones R, Axon A, Graham DY, Tytgat G, European Helicobacter Pylori Study Group (EHPSG): Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection–the Maastricht 2–2000 Consensus Report. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002, 16:167–180. CrossRef
- Chey WD, Wong BC, Practice Parameters Committee of the American College of Gastroenterology: American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol 2007, 102:1808–1825. CrossRef
- Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O'Morain C, Bazzoli F, El-Omar E, Graham D, Hunt R, Rokkas T, Vakil N, Kuipers EJ: Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III Consensus Report. Gut 2007, 56:772–781. CrossRef
- Mamori S, Higashida A, Kawara F, Ohnishi K, Takeda A, Senda E, Ashida C, Yamada H: Age-dependent eradication of Helicobacter pylori in Japanese patients. World J Gastroenterol 2010, 16:4176–4179. CrossRef
- Gotteland M, Brunser O, Cruchet S: Systematic review: are probiotics useful in controlling gastric colonization by Helicobacter pylori? Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006, 23:1077–1086. CrossRef
- Tong JL, Ran ZH, Shen J, Zhang CX, Xiao SD: Meta-analysis: the effect of supplementation with probiotics on eradication rates and adverse events during Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007, 25:155–168. CrossRef
- Ozdil K, Calhan T, Sahin A, Senates E, Kahraman R, Yǘzbasioglu B, Demirdag H, Demirsoy H, Sökmen MH: Levofloxacin based sequential and triple therapy compared with standard plus probiotic combination for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Hepatogastroenterology 2011, 58:1148–1152. CrossRef
- Tursi A, Brandimarte G, Giorgetti GM, Modeo ME: Effect of Lactobacillus casei supplementation on the effectiveness and tolerability of a new second-line 10-day quadruple therapy after failure of a first attempt to cure Helicobacter pylori infection. Med Sci Monit 2004, 10:CR662-CR666.
- Medeiros JA, Gonçalves TM, Boyanova L, Pereira MI, de Carvalho JN, Pereira AM, Cabrita AM: Evaluation of Helicobacter pylori eradication by triple therapy plus Lactobacillus acidophilus compared to triple therapy alone. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2011, 30:555–559. CrossRef
- Szajewska H, Horvath A, Piwowarczyk A: Meta-analysis: the effects of Saccharomyces boulardii supplementation on Helicobacter pylori eradication rates and side effects during treatment. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2010, 32:1069–1079. CrossRef
- Chenoll E, Casinos B, Bataller E, Astals P, Echevarría J, Iglesias JR, Balbarie P, Ramón D, Genovés S: Novel probiotic Bifidobacterium bifidum CECT 7366 strain active against the pathogenic bacterium Helicobacter pylori. Appl Environ Microbiol 2011, 77:1335–1343. CrossRef
- Wilhelm SM, Johnson JL, Kale-Pradhan PB: Treating bugs with bugs: the role of probiotics as adjunctive therapy for Helicobacter pylori. Ann Pharmacother 2011, 45:960–966. CrossRef
- Francavilla R, Lionetti E, Castellaneta SP, Magistà AM, Boscarelli G, Piscitelli D, Amoruso A, Di Leo A, Miniello VL, Francavilla A, et al.: Improved efficacy of 10-Day sequential treatment for Helicobacter pylori eradication in children: a randomized trial. Gastroenterology 2005, 129:1414–1419. CrossRef
- Oderda G, Shcherbakov P, Bontems P, Urruzuno P, Romano C, Gottrand F, Gómez MJ, Ravelli A, Gandullia P, Roma E, European Pediatric Task Force on Helicobacter pylori, et al.: Results from the pediatric European register for treatment of Helicobacter pylori (PERTH). Helicobacter 2007, 12:150–156. CrossRef
- Lionetti E, Indrio F, Pavone L, Borrelli G, Cavallo L, Francavilla R: Role of probiotics in pediatric patients with Helicobacter pylori infection: a comprehensive review of the literature. Helicobacter 2010, 15:79–87. CrossRef
- Kivi M, Tindberg Y, Sörberg M, Casswall TH, Befrits R, Hellström PM, Bengtsson C, Engstrand L, Granström M: Concordance of Helicobacter pylori strains within families. J Clin Microbiol 2003, 41:5604–5608. CrossRef
- Uemura N, Okamoto S, Yamamoto S, Matsumura N, Yamaguchi S, Yamakido M, Taniyama K, Sasaki N, Schlemper RJ: Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:784–789. CrossRef
- Kato S, Konno M, Maisawa S, Tajiri H, Yoshimura N, Shimizu T, Toyoda S, Nakayama Y, Iinuma K: Results of triple eradication therapy in Japanese children: a retrospective multicenter study. J Gastroenterol 2004, 39:838–843. CrossRef
- Song MJ, Park DI, Park JH, Kim HJ, Cho YK, Sohn CI, Jeon WK, Kim BI: The effect of probiotics and mucoprotective agents on PPI-based triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Helicobacter 2010, 15:206–213. CrossRef
- Kim MN, Kim N, Lee SH, Park YS, Hwang JH, Kim JW, Jeong SH, Lee DH, Kim JS, Jung HC, Song IS: The effects of probiotics on PPI-triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Helicobacter 2008, 13:261–268. CrossRef
- Chiesa C, Pacifico L, Anania C, Poggiogalle E, Chiarelli F, Osborn JF: Helicobacter pylori therapy in children: overview and challenges. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2010, 23:405–416.
- Jonkers D, Stockbrűgger R: Review article: Probiotics in gastrointestinal and liver diseases. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007, 26:133–148. CrossRef
- Leonardi S, Miraglia del Giudice M, La Rosa M, Bellanti J: Atopic disease, immune and environment. Allergy Asthma Proc 2007, 28:410–417. CrossRef
- del Giudice MM, Rocco A, Capristo C: Probiotics in the atopic march: highlights and new insights. Dig Liv Dis 2006, 38:S288-S290. CrossRef
- McFarland LV: Systematic review and meta-analysis of Saccharomyces boulardii in adult patients. World J Gastroenterol 2010, 16:2202–2222. CrossRef
- Franceschi F, Cazzato A, Nista EC, Scarpellini E, Roccarina D, Gigante G, Gasbarrini G, Gasbarrini A: Role of probiotics in patients with Helicobacter pylori infection. Helicobacter 2007, 12:59–63. CrossRef
- Armuzzi A, Cremonini F, Bartolozzi F, Canducci F, Candelli M, Ojetti V, Cammarota G, Anti M, De Lorenzo A, Pola P, et al.: The effect of oral administration of Lactobacillus GG on antibiotic-associated gastrointestinal side-effects during Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2001, 15:163–169. CrossRef
- Cremonini F, Di Caro S, Covino M, Armuzzi A, Gabrielli M, Santarelli L, Nista EC, Cammarota G, Gasbarrini G, Gasbarrini A: Effect of different probiotic preparations on anti-helicobacter pylori therapy-related side effects: a parallel group, triple blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Gastroenterol 2002, 97:2744–2749. CrossRef
- Myllyluoma E, Veijola L, Ahlroos T, Tynkkynen S, Kankuri E, Vapaatalo H, Rautelin H, Korpela R: Probiotic supplementation improves tolerance to Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy–a placebo-controlled, double-blind randomized pilot study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005, 21:1263–1272. CrossRef
- Lionetti E, Miniello VL, Castellaneta SP, Magistá AM, de Canio A, Maurogiovanni G, Ierardi E, Cavallo L, Francavilla R: Lactobacillus reuteri therapy to reduce side-effects during anti-Helicobacter pylori treatment in children: a randomized placebo controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006, 24:1461–1468. CrossRef
- Hurduc V, Plesca D, Dragomir D, Sajin M, Vandenplas Y: A randomized, open trial evaluating the effect of Saccharomyces boulardii on the eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Acta Paediatr 2009, 98:127–131. CrossRef
- Szajewska H, Albrecht P, Topczewska-Cabanek A: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial: effect of lactobacillus GG supplementation on Helicobacter pylori eradication rates and side effects during treatment in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2009, 48:431–436. CrossRef
- Goldman CG, Barrado DA, Balcarce N, Rua EC, Oshiro M, Calcagno ML, Janjetic M, Fuda J, Weill R, Salgueiro MJ, et al.: Effect of a probiotic food as an adjuvant to triple therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Nutrition 2006, 22:984–988. CrossRef
- Tolone C: Efficacy of Probinul in reduction of antibiotic gastro-intestinal related side effects in children with respiratory infections. Proceeding of 62° National Congress of Italian Society of Pediatrics 2006.
- de Bortoli N, Leonardi G, Ciancia E, Merlo A, Bellini M, Costa F, Mumolo MG, Ricchiuti A, Cristiani F, Santi S, et al.: Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomized prospective study of triple therapy versus triple therapy plus lactoferrin and probiotics. Am J Gastroenterol 2007, 102:951–956. CrossRef
- Fukushima Y, Kawata Y, Hara H, Terada A, Mitsuoka T: Effect of a probiotic formula on intestinal immunoglobulin A production in healthy children. Int J Food Microbiol 1998, 42:39–44. CrossRef
- Smythies LE, Waites KB, Lindsey JR, Harris PR, Ghiara P, Smith PD: Helicobacter pylori-induced mucosal inflammation is Th1 mediated and exacerbated in IL-4, but not IFN-gamma, gene-deficient mice. J Immunol 2000, 165:1022–1029.
- del Giudice M, De Luca MG: The role of probiotics in the clinical management of food allergy and atopic dermatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol 2004,38(6 Suppl):S84-S85. CrossRef
- Del Giudice MM, Leonardi S, Maiello N, Brunese FP: Food allergy and probiotics in childhood. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010, 44:S22-S25. CrossRef
- Hsu PI, Wu DC, Wu JY, Graham DY: Is there a benefit extending the duration of Helicobacter Pylori sequential therapy to 14 days? Helicobacter 2011, 16:146–152. CrossRef
- Evaluation of Helicobacter Pylori eradication in pediatric patients by triple therapy plus lactoferrin and probiotics compared to triple therapy alone
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Italian Journal of Pediatrics
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- H.P. eradication
- Children gastritis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of General and Bariatric Surgery, Second University of Naples, Via Pansini 5, Naples, 80131, Italy
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Second University of Naples, Via L De Crecchio, Naples, 80138, Italy
- 3. Department of Medical and Pediatrics Science, Via SSofia n.78, Catania, 95123, Italy