The benefits of integrated systems for managing both samples and experimental data: An opportunity for labs in universities and government research institutions to lead the way
- Rory Macneil
- … show all 1 hide
Currently most biomedical labs in universities and government funded research institutions use paper lab notebooks for recording experimental data and spreadsheets for managing sample data. One consequence is that sample management and documenting experiments are viewed as separate and distinct activities, notwithstanding that samples and aliquots are an integral part of a majority of the experiments carried out by these labs.
Various drivers are pushing labs towards integrated management of sample data and experimental data. These include the ever increasing amounts of both kinds of data, the increasing adoption of online collaborative tools, changing expectations about online communication, and the increasing affordability of electronic lab notebooks and sample management software. There is now an opportunity for smaller labs, which have been slow to move from paper to electronic record keeping, to leapfrog better resourced commercial labs and lead the way in adopting the new generation of tools which permit integrated management of samples and experimental data and a range of tangible benefits to conducting research, including:
Fewer lost and mislabelled samples
Clearer visualization of relationships between samples and experiments
Reduction of experimental error
More effective search
More efficient use of freezers, leading to cost reduction and enhanced sustainability
Improved archiving and enhanced memory at the lab and institutional levels
- What's in a name? Electronic lab notebook versus Sample management ... system [http://elnblog.axiope.com/?p=802]
- 21 CFR PART 11 Innovative Software Solutions - [http://www.iscfr21.it/21cfr_glossary.html]
- Laboratory information management system [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIMS,] 2011.
- Bolton S: LIMS and ELN: 1 + 1 = 3. [http://www.scientificcomputing.com/article-in-LIMS-and-ELN-1+1=3–071009.aspx]
- Morris N: To lab book or not to lab book, that is the question? [http://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/bioscience-elearning/to_lab_book_or_not#commentFormDiv]
- Dolak L: Patents Without Paper: Proving a Date of Invention with Electronic Evidence. Hous L Rev 1999., 472:
- The Research Information Network and the British Library: Patterns of information use and exchange: case studies of researchers in the life sciences. 2009.
- Take action: store smart [http://www.sustainability.ucdavis.edu/action/conserve_energy/store_smart.html]
- The benefits of integrated systems for managing both samples and experimental data: An opportunity for labs in universities and government research institutions to lead the way
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- June 2011
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Rory Macneil (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Axiope Limited, 24 Fountainhall Road, Edinburgh, EH9 2LW, UK