Spinal metastasis in thyroid cancer
Thyroid carcinoma generally responds well to treatment and spinal metastasis is an uncommon feature. Many studies have looked at the management of spinal metastasis and proposed treatments, plans and algorithms. These range from well-established methods to potentially novel alternatives including bisphosphonates and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) therapy, amongst others.
The purposes of this systematic review of the literature are twofold. Firstly we sought to analyse the proposed management options in the literature. Then, secondly, we endeavoured to make recommendations that might improve the prognosis of patients with spinal metastasis from thyroid carcinomas.
We conducted an extensive electronic literature review regarding the management of spinal metastasis of thyroid cancer.
We found that there is a tangible lack of studies specifically analysing the management of spinal metastasis in thyroid cancer. Our results show that there are palliative and curative options in the management of spinal metastasis, in the forms of radioiodine ablation, surgery, selective embolisation, bisphosphonates and more recently the VEGF receptor targets.
The management of spinal metastasis from thyroid cancer should be multi-disciplinary. There is an absence; it seems, of a definitive protocol for treatment. Research shows increased survival with 131I avidity and complete bone metastasis resection. Early detection and treatment therefore are crucial. Studies suggest in those patients below the age of 45 years that treatment should be aggressive, and aim for cure. In those patients in whom curative treatment is not an option, palliative treatments are available.
- Batson OV: The function of the vertebral veins and their role in the spread of metastases. Ann Surg 1940, 112:138–149. CrossRef
- Roodman GD: Mechanisms of disease: Mechanisms of bone metastasis. N Engl J Med 2004, 350:1655–1664. CrossRef
- Muresan MM, et al.: Bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Endocr Relat Cancer 2008, 15:37–49. CrossRef
- Sherman SI: Thyroid carcinoma. Lancet 2003, 361:501–511. CrossRef
- Younes MN, et al.: Antivascular therapy of human follicular thyroid cancer experimental bone metastasis by blockade of epidermal growth factor receptor and vascular growth factor receptor phosphorylation. Cancer Res 2005, 65:4716–4727. CrossRef
- Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, Ward MH, Sabra MM, Devesa SS: Thyroid cancer incidence patterns in the United States by histologic type, 1992–2006. Thyroid 2011, 21:125–134. CrossRef
- Kilfoy BA, et al.: International patterns and trends in thyroid cancer incidence, 1973–2002. Cancer Causes Control 2009, 20:525–531. CrossRef
- Prasad D, Schiff D: Malignant spinal-cord compression. Lancet Oncol. 2005, 6:15–24.
- Thomas WH, Coppola ED: Distant metastases from mixed tumors of the salivary glands. Am J Surg 1965, 109:724–730. CrossRef
- Baudin E, Schlumberger M: New therapeutic approaches for metastatic thyroid carcinoma. Lancet Oncol 2007, 8:148–156. CrossRef
- Wilson PC, Millar BM, Brierley JD: The management of advanced thyroid cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2004, 16:561–568. CrossRef
- Sciubba DM, et al.: Solitary spinal metastasis of Hürthle cell thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Neurosci 2010, 17:797–801. CrossRef
- Demura S, et al.: Total en bloc spondylectomy for spinal metastases in thyroid carcinoma. J Neurosurg Spine 2011, 14:172–176. CrossRef
- Hindie E, et al.: Bone metastases of differentiated thyroid cancer: Impact of early I-131-based detection on outcome. Endocr Relat Cancer 2007, 14:799–807. CrossRef
- Orita Y, Sugitani I, Toda K, Manabe J, Fujimoto Y: Zoledronic acid in the treatment of bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2011, 21:31–35. CrossRef
- Eustatia-Rutten CF, et al.: Outcome of palliative embolization of bone metastases in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003, 88:3184–3189. CrossRef
- Cooper DS, et al.: Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2006, 16:109–142. CrossRef
- Sherman SI: The management of metastatic differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 2000, 1:165–171. CrossRef
- Physicians, R. C. o: In Edited by British Thyroid Association. Royal College of Physicians, London; 2007.
- Williams SD, Birch R, Einhorn LH: Phase-ii evaluation of doxorubicin plus cisplatin in advanced thyroid-cancer - a southeastern-cancer-study-group trial. Cancer Treat Rep 1986, 70:405–407.
- Mazzaferri EL, Jhiang SM: Long-term impact of initial surgical and medical therapy on papillary and follicular thyroid-cancer. Am J Med 1994, 97:418–428. CrossRef
- Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Goepfert H, Raney B, Schultz PN: Differentiated thyroid cancer in children and adolescents: Clinical outcome and mortality after long-term follow-up. Head and Neck-Journal for the Sciences and Specialties of the Head and Neck 1998, 20:549–555.
- Kushchayev S, Kushchayeva Y, Theodore N, Preul MC, Clark OH: Percutaneous vertebroplasty for thyroid cancer metastases to the spine. Thyroid 2010, 20:555–560. CrossRef
- Tickoo SK, et al.: Bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma: a histopathologic study with clinical correlates. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000, 124:1440–1447.
- Harel R, Angelov L: Spine metastases: current treatments and future directions. Eur J Cancer 2010, 46:2696–2707. CrossRef
- Newey M (Ed): N, E. Vol. Surg Oncol, ; 2012.
- Molina CA, Gokaslan ZL, Sciubba DM: Diagnosis and management of metastatic cervical spine tumors. Orthop Clin N Am 2012, 43:75. CrossRef
- Perrin RG, Laxton AW: Metastatic spine disease: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and evaluation of patients. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2004, 15:365-+.
- Pittas AG, et al.: Bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma: clinical characteristics and prognostic variables in one hundred forty-six patients. Thyroid 2000, 10:261–268. CrossRef
- Durante C, et al.: Long-term outcome of 444 patients with distant metastases from papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma: benefits and limits of radioiodine therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006, 91:2892–2899. CrossRef
- Wexler JA: Approach to the Thyroid Cancer Patient with Bone Metastases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011, 96:2296–2307. CrossRef
- Sciubba DM, et al.: Diagnosis and management of metastatic spine disease A review. J Neurosurg Spine 2010, 13:94–108. CrossRef
- Harrington KD: Metastatic disease of the spine. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery-American 1986, 68A:1110–1115.
- Bernier MO, et al.: Survival and therapeutic modalities in patients with bone metastases of differentiated thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001, 86:1568–1573. CrossRef
- Cabanillas ME, et al.: Treatment with tyrosine kinase inhibitors for patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: the M. D. Anderson experience. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010, 95:2588–2595. CrossRef
- De Vries MM, et al.: Embolization therapy of bone metastases from epithelial thyroid carcinoma: effect on symptoms and serum thyroglobulin. Thyroid 2008, 18:1277–1284. CrossRef
- Kloos RT, et al.: Phase II trial of sorafenib in metastatic thyroid cancer. J Clin Oncol 2009, 27:1675–1684. CrossRef
- Orita Y, et al.: Prognostic factors and the therapeutic strategy for patients with bone metastasis from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 2010, 147:424–431. CrossRef
- Petrich T, et al.: Outcome after radioiodine therapy in 107 patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma and initial bone metastases: side-effects and influence of age. Eur J Nucl Med 2001, 28:203–208. CrossRef
- Quan GM, Pointillart V, Palussière J, Bonichon F: Multidisciplinary treatment and survival of patients with vertebral metastases from thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2012, 22:125–130. CrossRef
- Qiu ZL, Song HJ, Xu YH, Luo QY: Efficacy and survival analysis of 131I therapy for bone metastases from differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011, 96:3078–3086. CrossRef
- Schlumberger M, et al.: Radioactive iodine treatment and external radiotherapy for lung and bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma. J Nucl Med 1996, 37:598–605.
- Stojadinovic A, et al.: The role of operations for distantly metastatic well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 2002, 131:636–643. CrossRef
- Van Tol KM, et al.: Embolization in combination with radioiodine therapy for bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2000, 52:653–659. CrossRef
- Vitale G, et al.: Pamidronate improves the quality of life and induces clinical remission of bone metastases in patients with thyroid cancer. Br J Cancer 2001, 84:1586–1590. CrossRef
- Wells SA, et al.: Vandetanib in patients with locally advanced or metastatic medullary thyroid cancer: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 2012, 30:134–141. CrossRef
- Zettinig G, et al.: Long-term follow-up of patients with bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma – surgery or conventional therapy? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2002, 56:377–382. CrossRef
- Tokuhashi Y, Ajiro Y, Oshima M: Algorithms and Planning in Metastatic Spine Tumors. Orthop Clin N Am 2009, 40:37-+. CrossRef
- Hosono N, Ueda T, Tamura D, Aoki Y, Yoshikawa H: Prognostic relevance of clinical symptoms in patients with spinal metastases. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2005, 196–201.
- Mercadante S, Fulfaro F: Management of painful bone metastases. Curr Opin Oncol 2007, 19:308–314. CrossRef
- Sayama CM, Schmidt MH, Bisson EF: Cervical spine metastases: techniques for anterior reconstruction and stabilization. Neurosurg Rev 2012.
- Clarke BM, et al.: Bisphosphonates and jaw osteonecrosis: the UAMS experience. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007, 136:396–400. CrossRef
- de la Torre NG, Buley I, Wass JA, Turner HE: Angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis in thyroid proliferative lesions: relationship to type and tumour behaviour. Endocr Relat Cancer 2006, 13:931–944. CrossRef
- Costachescu B, Popescu CE: Modern management in vertebral metastasis. Romanian Neurosurgery. 2010,27(4):432–437.
- Spinal metastasis in thyroid cancer
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Head & Neck Oncology
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, University College London Medical School, London, UK
- 2. Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, Queen Mary, London, UK
- 3. Department of Surgery, Al-Yarmouk University College, Baghdad, Iraq
- 4. Department of Surgery, UCL Medical School, London, UK
- 5. Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, London, UK
- 6. Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK