Spinal metastasis in head and neck cancer
The incidence of head and neck cancer is relatively low in developed countries and highest in South East Asia. Notwithstanding advances in surgery and radiotherapy over the past several decades, the 5-year survival rate for head and neck cancer has stagnated and remains at 50–55%. This is due, in large part, to both regional and distant disease spread, including spinal metastasis. Spinal metastasis from head and neck cancer is rare, has a poor prognosis and can significantly impede end-stage quality of life; normally only palliative care is given.
This study aims to conduct a systematic review of the evidence available on management of spinal metastasis from head and neck cancer and to use such evidence to draw up guiding principles in the management of the distant spread.
Systematic review of the electronic literature was conducted regarding the management of spinal metastasis of head and neck malignancies.
Due to the exceptional rarity of head and neck cancers metastasizing to the spine, there is a paucity of good randomized controlled trials into the management of spinal metastasis. This review produced only 12 case studies/reports and 2 small retrospective cohort studies that lacked appropriate controls.
Management should aim to improve end-stage quality of life and maintain neurological function. This review has found that radiotherapy +/− medical adjuvant is considered the principle treatment of spinal metastasis of head and neck cancers.
There is an absence of a definitive treatment protocol for head and neck cancer spinal metastasis. Our failure to find and cite high-quality scientific evidence only serves to stress the need for good quality research in this area.
- Jerjes W, Upile T, Petrie A, Riskalla A, Hamdoon Z, Vourvachis M, Karavidas K, Jay A, Sandison A, Thomas GJ, Kalavrezos N, Hopper C: Clinicopathological parameters, recurrence, locoregional and distant metastasis in 115 T1-T2 oral squamous cell carcinoma patients. Head Neck Oncol 2010, 2:9. CrossRef
- Saman DM: A review of the epidemiology of oral and pharyngeal carcinoma: update. Head Neck Oncol 2012, 4:1. CrossRef
- Upile T, Jerjes W, Al-Khawalde M, Radhi H, Sudhoff H: Oral sex, cancer and death: sexually transmitted cancers. Head Neck Oncol 2012,4(1):31. CrossRef
- Lagha A, Chraiet N, Ayadi M, Krimi S, Allani B, Rifi H, Raies H, Mezlini A: Systemic therapy in the management of metastatic or advanced salivary gland cancers. Head Neck Oncol 2012,4(1):19.
- Rodriguez T, Altieri A, Chatenoud L, Gallus S, Bosetti C, Negri E, Franceschi S, Levi F, Talamini R, Vecchia CL: Risk factors for oral and pharyngeal cancer in young adults. Oral Oncol 2004, 40:207–213. CrossRef
- Llewellyn CD, Linklater K, Bell J, Johnson NW, Warnakulasuriya S: An analysis of risk factors for oral cancer in young people: a case–control study. Oral Oncol 2004, 40:304–313. CrossRef
- Jan JC, Hsu WH, Liu SA, Wong YK, Poon CK, Jiang RS, Jan JS, Chen IF: Prognostic factors in patients with Buccal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: 10 year experience. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011, 69:396–404. CrossRef
- Shah JP, Gil Z: Current concepts in management of oral cancer – surgery. Oral Oncol 2009, 45:394–401. CrossRef
- Vaidya AM, Petruzzelli GJ, Clark J, Emami B: Patterns of spread in recurrent head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2001,125(4):393–396. CrossRef
- Funk GF, Karnell LH, Robinson RA, Zhen WK, Trask DK, Hoffman HT: Presentation, treatment, and outcome of oral cavity cancer: a National Cancer Data Base report. Head Neck 2002,24(2):165–180. CrossRef
- Lee DH, Kim MJ, Roh JL, Kim SB, Choi SH, Nam SY, Kim SY: Distant Metastases and Survival Prediction in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2012, 147:1–6. CrossRef
- Ye HH, Cho CW, Jeon MY, Kim DJ: Craniospinal Metastasis from a Metastasizing Mixed Tumor of Salivary Gland: Unusual Presentation. J. Korean Neurosurg. Soc. 2007, 41:186–189. CrossRef
- Manoj-Thomas A, Dabke H, Hammer K, Attanoos R, Ahuja S: Spinal metastasis from a primary parotid carcinoma: a case report. Joint Bone Spine 2006,73(5):573–575. CrossRef
- Birkeland S: Spinal Metastasis of Submandibular Gland Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma: A Case Report. Surg Neurol 2003, 60:265–266. CrossRef
- Riela AR, Meyer D, McCool JA, Pikula L: Metastatic-adenoid cystic carcinoma of the major salivary glands presenting as a spinal cord tumor. Surg Neurol 1983,19(4):365–368. CrossRef
- Le Manac'h AP, Rousselet MC, Massin P, Audran M, Levasseur R: Extraspinal sciatica revealing late metastatic disease from parotid carcinoma. Joint Bone Spine 2010,77(1):64–66. CrossRef
- Warnakulasuriya S: Review: Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol 2009, 45:309–316. CrossRef
- Mendes L, Nutting M, Harrington J: Residual or recurrent head and neck cancer presenting with nerve root compression affecting the upper limbs. Br J Radiol 2004, 77:688–690. CrossRef
- Törnwall J, Snäll J, Mesimäki K: A rare case of spinal cord metastases from oral SCC. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008, 46:594–595. CrossRef
- Preciado DA, Sebring LA, Adams GL: Treatment of Patients With Spinal Metastases From Head and Neck Neoplasms. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002, 128:539–543.
- Harrington KD: Metastatic disease of the spine. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1986, 68-A:1110–1115.
- Eastley N, Newey M, Ashford RU: Skeletal metastases - The role of the orthopaedic and spinal surgeon. Surg Oncol 2012. published online ahead of printMay 1 2012] http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960740412000242Accessed May 20, 2012
- Perrin RG, Laxton AW: Metastatic spine disease: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and evaluation of patients. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2004,15(4):365–373. CrossRef
- Harel R, Angelov L: Spine metastases: current treatments and future directions. Eur J Cancer 2010,46(15):2696–2707. CrossRef
- Molina CA, Gokaslan ZL, Sciubba DM: Diagnosis and management of metastatic cervical spine tumors. Orthop Clin North Am 2012,43(1):75–87. CrossRef
- Constans JP, Dde Divitiis E, Donzelli R, et al.: Spinal metastases with neurological manifestations. Review of 600 cases. J Neurosurg 1983,59(1):111–118. CrossRef
- Gilbert RW, Kim JH, Posner JB: Epidural spinal cord compression from metastatic tumor: diagnosis and treatment. Ann Neurol 1978,3(1):40–51. CrossRef
- Sciubba DM, Petteys RJ, Dekutoski MB, Fisher CG, Fehlings MG, Ondra SL, Rhines LD, Gokaslan ZL: Diagnosis and management of metastatic spine disease. J Neurosurg Spine 2010,13(1):94–108. CrossRef
- Costachescu B, Popescu CE: Modern management in vertebral metastasis. Romanian Neurosurgery. 2010,27(4):432–437.
- Thomas WH, Coppola ED: Distant Metastases from mixed tumors of the salivary glands. Am J Surg 1965, 109:724–730. CrossRef
- Ampil FL, Nanda A, Aarstad RF, Hoasjoe DK, Chin HW, Hardjasudarma M: Spinal epidural compression in head and neck cancer. Report of five cases. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1994,22(1):49–52. CrossRef
- Lee KH, Halfpenny W, Thiruchelvam JK: Spinal cord compression in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007,103(4):e16-e18. CrossRef
- Vahtsevanos K, Ntomouchtsis A, Andreadis C, Patrikidou A, Karakinaris G, Mangoudi D, Papanastasiou G, Antoniades K: Distant bone metastases from carcinoma of the lip: a report of four cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007,36(2):180–185. CrossRef
- Vidyadhara S, Shetty AP, Rajasekaran S: Widespread metastases from acinic cell carcinoma of parotid gland. Singapore Med J 2007,48(1):e13-e15.
- Yu EH, Wu CH, Lo WL, Kao SY, Chang CS: Cervical vertebrae metastases in oral squamous cell carcinoma: a case report. Chin. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2008, 19:65–70.
- Bartels RH, van der Linden YM, van der Graaf WT: Spinal extradural metastasis: review of current treatment options. CA Cancer J Clin 2008,58(4):245–259. CrossRef
- Delank KS, Wendtner C, Eich HT, Eysel P: The treatment of spinal metastases. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2011,108(5):71–79. quiz 80
- Singh K, Samartzis D, Vaccaro AR, Andersson GB, An HS, Heller JG: Current concepts in the management of metastatic spinal disease. The role of minimally-invasive approaches. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006,88(4):434–442. CrossRef
- Finn MA, Vrionis FD, Schmidt MH: Spinal radiosurgery for metastatic disease of the spine. Cancer Control 2007,14(4):405–411.
- Ryken TC, Eichholz KM, Gerszten PC, Welch WC, Gokaslan ZL, Resnick DK: Evidence-based review of the surgical management of vertebral column metastatic disease. Neurosurg Focus 2003,15(5):E11. CrossRef
- Tonini G, Vincenzi B, Spoto C, Santini D: Complications in surgical management of cervical spinal metastases. Pitfalls in Cervical Spine Surgery 2010, Section I:29–43. CrossRef
- Sano D, Myers JN: Metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue. Cancer Metastasis Rev 2007,26(3–4):645–662. CrossRef
- Carter RL, Pitman NR: Squamous carcinomas of the head and neck: some patterns of spread. J R Soc Med 1980, 73:420–427.
- Yin JJ, Pollock Claire B: Mechanisms of cancer metastasis to the bone. Cell Res 2005,15(1):57–62. CrossRef
- Destombe C, Botton E, Le Gal G, Roudaut A, Jousse-Joulin S, Devauchelle-Pensec V, Saraux A: Investigations for bone metastasis from an unknown primary. Joint Bone Spine 2007,74(1):85–89. CrossRef
- Spinal metastasis in head and neck cancer
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Head & Neck Oncology
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
- 2. Department of Surgery, Al-Yarmouk University College, Baghdad, Iraq
- 3. Department of Surgery, UCL Medical School, London, UK
- 4. Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, London, UK
- 5. Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK