A double patella-like condition secondary to synovial osteochondromatosis
To our knowledge, this is the first case of synovial osteochondromatosis in a patient presenting with a double patella-like condition. The true duplication of the patella, which is called double patella, is extremely rare. In our case, the operative and histopathological findings showed that the double patella-like condition was secondarily induced by synovial osteochondromatosis. Synovial osteochondromatosis should be considered as a differential diagnosis for congenital double patella.
- Visconti D, Della Sala SW, Bianchini G, Manera V: Double congenital patella: case report and review of the literature. Eur Radiol 1996, 6:566–569. CrossRef
- Gasco J, Del Pino JM, Gomar-Sancho F: Double patella. A case of duplication in the coronal plane. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1987, 69:602–603.
- Hodkinson HM: Double patellae in multiple epiphysial dysplasia. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1962, 44-B:569–572.
- Yochum TR, Sprowl CG, Barry MS: Double patella syndrome with a form of multiple epiphyseal dysplasia. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1995, 18:407–410.
- Yeung E, Ireland J: An unusual double patella: a case report. Knee 2004, 11:129–131. CrossRef
- Milgram JW: Synovial osteochondromatosis: a histopathological study of thirty cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1977, 59:792–801.
- Tojyo I, Yamaguti A, Ozaki H, Yoshida H, Fujita S: The expression of fibroblast growth factor receptor-3 in synovial osteochondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint. Arch Oral Biol 2004, 49:591–594. CrossRef
- Jingushi S, Shida J, Iwamoto Y, Kinoshita T, Hiyama Y, Tamura M, Izumi T: Transient exposure of fibroblast growth factor-2 induced proliferative but not destructive changes in mouse knee joints. Connect Tissue Res 2006, 47:242–248. CrossRef
- A double patella-like condition secondary to synovial osteochondromatosis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation, Therapy & Technology
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Synovial osteochondromatosis
- Double patella
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, 602-8566, Japan