Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China
In recent years, investigations of Toxoplasma gondii infection in poultry (chickens, ducks, and geese) have been reported worldwide, including China. However, little is known about the prevalence of T. gondii infection in poultry in northeastern China. Therefore, the present study was performed to determine the prevalence of T. gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China.
In the present study, the seroprevalence of T. gondii in 502 adult chickens, 268 adult ducks, and 128 adult geese was surveyed using the modified agglutination test (MAT).
The seroprevalences of T. gondii were 5.8%, 7.8%, and 4.7% in chickens, ducks, and geese, respectively. Prevalence was higher in free-range groups (11.2%, 12.3%, and 8.9%) than caged groups (4.7%, 7.5%, and 6.0%), and there was a statistically significant difference only between free-range chickens and caged chickens, but no significant difference was found between free-range ducks, geese and caged ducks, geese.
The present study shows the prescence of T. gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China, which suggests that consumption of poultry meat in Shenyang may pose a potential threat to human health and should be given attention.
- Dubey JP: Toxoplasmosis of animals and humans. 2nd edition. CRC Press Inc, Boca Raton, Florida, New York; 2010:1–313.
- Yang N, Li HK, He JB, Mu MY, Yang SH: Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in domestic sheep in Liaoning province, northeastern china. J Parasitol 2012, : .
- Zhou P, Chen ZG, Li HL, Zheng HH, He SY, Lin RQ, Zhu XQ: Toxoplasma gondii infection in humans in China. Parasit Vectors 2011, 4:165. CrossRef
- Wu SM, Huang SY, Fu BQ, Liu GY, Chen JX, Chen MX, Yuan ZG, Zhou DH, Weng YB, Zhu XQ, Ye DH: Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in pet dogs in Lanzhou, Northwest China. Parasit Vectors 2011, 4:64. CrossRef
- Zhao GH, Zhang MT, Lei LH, Shang CC, Cao DY, Tian TT, Li J, Xu JY, Yao YL, Chen DK, Zhu XQ: Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in dairy goats in Shaanxi Province, Northwestern China. Parasit Vectors 2011, 4:47. CrossRef
- Dubey JP, Webb DM, Sundar N, Velmurugan GV, Bandini LA, Kwork OC, Su C: Endemic avian toxoplasmosis on a farm in Illinois: Clinical disease, diagnosis, biologic and genetic characteristics of Toxoplasma gondii isolates from chickens (Gallus domesticus), and a goose (Anser anser). Vet Parasitol 2007, 148:207–212. CrossRef
- EI-Massry A, Mahdy OA, EI-Ghaysh A, Dubey JP: Prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in sera of turkeys, chickens, and ducks from Egypt. J Parasitol 2000, 86:627–628.
- Yan C, Yue CL, Yuan ZG, He Y, Yin CC, Lin RQ, Dubey JP, Zhu XQ: Toxoplasma gondii infection in domestic ducks, free-range and caged chickens in southern China. Vet Parasitol 2009, 65:337–340. CrossRef
- Tian PR, Cui P: Investigation on Toxoplasma gondii infection in chickens in Zhangjiakou city. Ani Husbandry Feed Sci 2010, 31:172–173. in Chinese
- Yan C, Yue CL, Zhang H, Yin CC, He Y, Yuan ZG, Lin RQ, Song HQ, Zhang KX, Zhu XQ: Serological Survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection in the Domeastic Goose (Anser domestica) in Southern China. Zoonoses public Health 2011, 58:299–302. CrossRef
- Xu P, Song XS, Wang W, Wang FY, Cao LL, Liu Q: Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii Infection in Chickens in Jinzhou, Northeastern China. J Parasitol 2012, : .
- Dubey JP, Desmonts G: Serological responses of equids fed Toxoplasma gondii oocysts. Equine Vet J 1987, 19:337–339. CrossRef
- Dubey JP: Toxoplasma gondii infections in chickens (Gallus domesticus): prevalence, clinical disease, diagnosis and public health significance. Zoonoses public Health 2010, 57:60–73. CrossRef
- Cong W, Huang SY, Zhou DH, Xu MJ, Wu SM, Yan C, Zhao Q, Song HQ, Zhu XQ: First report of Toxoplasma gondii infection in market-sold adult chickens, ducks and pigeons in northwest China. Parasit Vectors 2012, 5:110. CrossRef
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Parasites & Vectors
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Toxoplasma gondii
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, 110866, China
- 2. Liaoning Center for Animal Disease Control and Prevention, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, 110164, China