Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China
In recent years, investigations of Toxoplasma gondii infection in poultry (chickens, ducks, and geese) have been reported worldwide, including China. However, little is known about the prevalence of T. gondii infection in poultry in northeastern China. Therefore, the present study was performed to determine the prevalence of T. gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China.
In the present study, the seroprevalence of T. gondii in 502 adult chickens, 268 adult ducks, and 128 adult geese was surveyed using the modified agglutination test (MAT).
The seroprevalences of T. gondii were 5.8%, 7.8%, and 4.7% in chickens, ducks, and geese, respectively. Prevalence was higher in free-range groups (11.2%, 12.3%, and 8.9%) than caged groups (4.7%, 7.5%, and 6.0%), and there was a statistically significant difference only between free-range chickens and caged chickens, but no significant difference was found between free-range ducks, geese and caged ducks, geese.
The present study shows the prescence of T. gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China, which suggests that consumption of poultry meat in Shenyang may pose a potential threat to human health and should be given attention.
- Dubey, JP (2010) Toxoplasmosis of animals and humans. CRC Press Inc, Boca Raton, Florida, New York
- Yang, N, Li, HK, He, JB, Mu, MY, Yang, SH (2012) Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in domestic sheep in Liaoning province, northeastern china. J Parasitol : pp.
- Zhou, P, Chen, ZG, Li, HL, Zheng, HH, He, SY, Lin, RQ, Zhu, XQ (2011) Toxoplasma gondii infection in humans in China. Parasit Vectors 4: pp. 165 CrossRef
- Wu, SM, Huang, SY, Fu, BQ, Liu, GY, Chen, JX, Chen, MX, Yuan, ZG, Zhou, DH, Weng, YB, Zhu, XQ, Ye, DH (2011) Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in pet dogs in Lanzhou, Northwest China. Parasit Vectors 4: pp. 64 CrossRef
- Zhao, GH, Zhang, MT, Lei, LH, Shang, CC, Cao, DY, Tian, TT, Li, J, Xu, JY, Yao, YL, Chen, DK, Zhu, XQ (2011) Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in dairy goats in Shaanxi Province, Northwestern China. Parasit Vectors 4: pp. 47 CrossRef
- Dubey, JP, Webb, DM, Sundar, N, Velmurugan, GV, Bandini, LA, Kwork, OC, Su, C (2007) Endemic avian toxoplasmosis on a farm in Illinois: Clinical disease, diagnosis, biologic and genetic characteristics of Toxoplasma gondii isolates from chickens (Gallus domesticus), and a goose (Anser anser). Vet Parasitol 148: pp. 207-212 CrossRef
- EI-Massry, A, Mahdy, OA, EI-Ghaysh, A, Dubey, JP (2000) Prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in sera of turkeys, chickens, and ducks from Egypt. J Parasitol 86: pp. 627-628
- Yan, C, Yue, CL, Yuan, ZG, He, Y, Yin, CC, Lin, RQ, Dubey, JP, Zhu, XQ (2009) Toxoplasma gondii infection in domestic ducks, free-range and caged chickens in southern China. Vet Parasitol 65: pp. 337-340 CrossRef
- Tian, PR, Cui, P (2010) Investigation on Toxoplasma gondii infection in chickens in Zhangjiakou city. Ani Husbandry Feed Sci 31: pp. 172-173
- Yan, C, Yue, CL, Zhang, H, Yin, CC, He, Y, Yuan, ZG, Lin, RQ, Song, HQ, Zhang, KX, Zhu, XQ (2011) Serological Survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection in the Domeastic Goose (Anser domestica) in Southern China. Zoonoses public Health 58: pp. 299-302 CrossRef
- Xu, P, Song, XS, Wang, W, Wang, FY, Cao, LL, Liu, Q (2012) Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii Infection in Chickens in Jinzhou, Northeastern China. J Parasitol : pp.
- Dubey, JP, Desmonts, G (1987) Serological responses of equids fed Toxoplasma gondii oocysts. Equine Vet J 19: pp. 337-339 CrossRef
- Dubey, JP (2010) Toxoplasma gondii infections in chickens (Gallus domesticus): prevalence, clinical disease, diagnosis and public health significance. Zoonoses public Health 57: pp. 60-73 CrossRef
- Cong, W, Huang, SY, Zhou, DH, Xu, MJ, Wu, SM, Yan, C, Zhao, Q, Song, HQ, Zhu, XQ (2012) First report of Toxoplasma gondii infection in market-sold adult chickens, ducks and pigeons in northwest China. Parasit Vectors 5: pp. 110 CrossRef
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in slaughtered chickens, ducks, and geese in Shenyang, northeastern China
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Parasites & Vectors
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Toxoplasma gondii
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, 110866, China
- 2. Liaoning Center for Animal Disease Control and Prevention, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, 110164, China