Recurrent ovarian cancer presenting in the right supraclavicular lymph node with isolated metastasis: a case report
The majority of ovarian cancer recurrences are in the abdomen. However, some cases relapse as isolated lymph node metastases, mostly in pelvic or para-aortic nodes. Peripheral isolated lymph node metastasis is rare.
A 69-year-old Japanese woman had recurrent ovarian cancer presenting with isolated right supraclavicular lymph node metastasis. After surgical resection and combination chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel, her right supraclavicular lymph node completely regressed.
Peripheral isolated lymph nodes, including right supraclavicular lymph node, can recur without a macroscopic abdominal lesion. Clinicians should carefully examine peripheral lymph nodes for recurrence.
- Mizutani, M, Nawata, S, Hirai, I, Murakami, G, Kimura, W (2005) Anatomy and histology of Virchow's node. Anat Sci Int 80: pp. 193-198 CrossRef
- Berek, JS Epithelial ovarian cancer. In: Berek, JS, Hacker, NF eds. (1994) Practical Gynecologic Oncology. Lippincott Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp. 466-467
- Legge, F, Petrillo, M, Adamo, V, Pisconti, S, Scambia, G, Ferrandina, G (2008) Epithelial ovarian cancer relapsing as isolated lymph node disease: natural history and clinical outcome. BMC Cancer 8: pp. 367 CrossRef
- Blanchard, P, Plantade, A, Pagès, C, Afchain, P, Louvet, C, Tournigand, C, de Gramont, A (2007) Isolated lymph node relapse of epithelial ovarian carcinoma: outcomes and prognostic factors. Gynecol Oncol 104: pp. 41-45 CrossRef
- Benedetti Panici, P, Perniola, G, Angioli, R, Zullo, MA, Manci, N, Palaia, I, Bellati, F, Plotti, F, Calcagno, M, Basile, S (2007) Bulky lymph node resection in patients with recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer: impact of surgery. Int J Gynecol Cancer 17: pp. 1245-1251 CrossRef
- Santillan, A, Karam, AK, Li, AJ, Giuntoli, R, Gardner, GJ, Cass, I, Karlan, BY, Bristow, RE (2007) Secondary cytoreductive surgery for isolated nodal recurrence in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 104: pp. 686-690 CrossRef
- Uzan, C, Morice, P, Rey, A, Pautier, P, Camatte, S, Lhommé, C, Haie-Meder, C, Duvillard, P, Castaigne, D (2004) Outcomes after combined therapy including surgical resection in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer recurrence(s) exclusively in lymph nodes. Ann Surg Oncol 11: pp. 658-664 CrossRef
- Fotiou, S, Aliki, T, Petros, Z, Ioanna, S, Konstantinos, V, Vasiliki, M, George, C (2009) Secondary cytoreductive surgery in patients presenting with isolated nodal recurrence of epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 114: pp. 178-182 CrossRef
- Gadducci, A, Cosio, S, Zola, P, Sostegni, B, Ferrero, AM, Teti, G, Cristofani, R, Sartori, E (2010) The clinical outcome of epithelial ovarian cancer patients with apparently isolated lymph node recurrence: a multicenter retrospective Italian study. Gynecol Oncol 116: pp. 358-363 CrossRef
- Zannoni, GF, Vellone, VG, Distefano, MG, Fadda, G, Scambia, G (2007) Ovarian serous carcinoma presenting with mediastinal lymphadenopathy 20 months before the intraabdominal mass: role of immunohistochemistry. Gynecol Oncol 104: pp. 497-500 CrossRef
- Mayadevi, S, Nagarajan, S, Van Der Voet, JC, Nevin, J, Cruickshank, DJ (2005) Metastatic adenocarcinoma of right supraclavicular fossa–delayed presentation of ovarian primary. J Obstet Gynaecol 25: pp. 528-529 CrossRef
- Bristow, RE, Giuntoli, RL, Pannu, HK, Schulick, RD, Fishman, EK, Wahl, RL (2005) Combined PET/CT for detecting recurrent ovarian cancer limited to retroperitoneal lymph nodes. Gynecol Oncol 99: pp. 294-300 CrossRef
- Recurrent ovarian cancer presenting in the right supraclavicular lymph node with isolated metastasis: a case report
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Medical Case Reports
- Online Date
- July 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka Minami Medical Center, 2-1, Kidohigashi-machi, Kawachinagano, Osaka, 586-8521, Japan
- 2. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka Medical College, 2-7, Daigaku-machi, Takatsuki, Osaka, 569-8686, Japan