Management strategy after diagnosis of Abernethy malformation: a case report
The Abernethy malformation is a rare anomaly with a widely variable clinical presentation. Many diagnostic dilemmas have been reported. Nowadays, with the evolution of medical imaging, diagnosis can be made more easily, but management of patients with an Abernethy malformation is still open for discussion.
In this case study, we describe a 34-year-old Caucasian man who presented with a large hepatocellular carcinoma in the presence of an Abernethy malformation, which was complicated by the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
This case underlines the importance of regular examination of patients with an Abernethy malformation, even in older patients, to prevent complications and to detect liver lesions at an early stage.
- Abernethy J: Account of two instances of uncommon formation in the viscera of the human body. Phil Trans R Society 1793, 83:59–66. CrossRef
- Mistinova J, Valacsai F, Varga I: Congenital absence of the portal vein: case report and a review of literature. Clin Anat 2010, 23:750–758. CrossRef
- Witters P, Maleux G, George C, Delcroix M, Hoffman I, Gewillig M, Verslype C, Monbaliu D, Aerts R, Pirenne J, Van Steenbergen W, Nevens F, Fevery J, Cassiman D: Congenital veno-venous malformations of the liver: widely variable clinical presentations. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008, 23:e390-e394. CrossRef
- Collard B, Maleux G, Heye S, Cool M, Bielen G, George C, Roskams T, Van Steenbergen W: Value of carbon dioxide wedged venography and transvenous liver biopsy in the definitive diagnosis of Abernethy malformation. Abdom Imaging 2006, 31:315–319. CrossRef
- Kumar A, Kumar J, Aggarwal R, Srivastava S: Abernethy malformation with portal vein aneurysm. Diagn Interv Radiol 2008, 14:143–146.
- Howard ER, Davenport M: Congenital extrahepatic portocaval shunts: the Abernethy malformation. J Pediatr Surg 1997, 32:494–497. CrossRef
- Kleiner DE, Brunt EM, van Natta M, Behling C, Contos MJ, Cummings OW, Ferrell LD, Liu YC, Torbenson MS, Unalp-Arida A, Yeh M, McCullough AJ, Sanyal AJ, Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Clinical Research Network: Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2005, 41:1313–1321. CrossRef
- Singhal A, Srivastava A, Goyal N, Vij V, Wadhawan M, Bera M, Gupta S: Successful living donor liver transplant in a child with Abernethy malformation with biliary atresia, ventricular septal defect and intrapulmonary shunting. Pediatr Transplant 2009, 13:1041–1047. CrossRef
- Witjes CD, de Man RA, Eskens FA, Dwarkasing RS, Zondervan PE, Verhoef C, Ijzermans JN: Hepatocellular carcinoma: the significance of cirrhosis for treatment and prognosis—retrospective study] [in Dutch. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2010, 154:A1747.
- Bruix J, Sherman M, Practice Guidelines Committee, American Association for Study of Liver Diseases: Management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2005, 42:1208–1236. CrossRef
- Verhoef C, de Man RA, Zondervan PE, Eijkemans MJ, Tilanus HW, Ijzermans JN: Good outcomes after resection of large hepatocellular carcinoma in the non-cirrhotic liver. Dig Surg 2004, 21:380–386. CrossRef
- Management strategy after diagnosis of Abernethy malformation: a case report
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Medical Case Reports
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- hepatocellular carcinoma
- arteriovenous malformation
- Abernethy malformation
- pulmonary hypertension
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Hepatobiliary and Transplantation Surgery, Erasmus Medical Center, University Medical Center Rotterdam, P.O. Box 2040, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Pulmonary Medicine, VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, P.O. Box 7057, Amsterdam, MB, 1007, The Netherlands