Validated TLC-densitometry method for the simultaneous analysis of pyrethroid insecticides in agricultural and domestic products
Pyrethroids are widely used for the control of pests and insects, as pyrethroids are believed to pose little risk to human health and environment. However, exposure to the pyrethroids exceeding the label directions might adversely affect human health and environment. Hence a careful selection of environment friendly household product is required that must contain exactly the label claimed pyrethroids amount.
A sensitive and robust TLC-densitometric method for simultaneous quantification of commonly used synthetic pyrethroids including esbiothrin, alpha-cypermethrin and cis/trans permethrin in agricultural and domestic products has been developed and validated. TLC aluminum sheets, precoated with 0.2 mm thick layer of silica gel 60 F-254, were used for chromatographic process. Densitometric analysis of chromatoplates was carried out in absorbance mode at corresponding λmax of each pyrethroid. Equally valid common mobile phase for all pyrethroids consisted of hexane-dichloromethane-ethylacetate-formic acid (8:1.5:0.4:0.1 v/v/v/v) which provided sharp and symmetrical peaks of esbiothrin, alpha-cypermethrin, trans-permethrin and cis-permethrin, at R f 0.31, 0.53, 0.6 and 0.65, respectively. Linear regression data for respective calibration curves showed a good linearity for all pyrethroids with r = 0.991-0.996. Limits of detection (LOD) and limits of quantification (LOQ) for all pyrethroids were found in the range of 1.6-2.8 and 4.9-8.5 ng/spot, respectively.
The developed method is applicable for separating the mixture of pyrethroids and at the same time, it is also valid for separating their isomers. The method is reproducible, precise and accurate for the quantitative determination of pyrethroids in agricultural and domestic products.
- Gosselin RE, Smith RP, Hodge HC: Clinical toxicology of commercial products. 5th edition. MD, Williams and Wilkins: Baltimore; 1984.
- WHO: Prallethrin (WHO specification and evaluation for public health pesticides). Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004.
- Das NG, Baruah I, Talukdar PK, Das SC: Evaluation of botanicals as repellents against mosquitoes. J Vector Borne Dis 2003, 40:49–53.
- Roberts TR, Hutson DH: Metabolic pathways of agrochemicals. Part 2. Insecticides and fungicides. Cornwall, UK: The Royal Society of Chemistry; 1999.
- Brander SM, Werner I, White JW, Deanovic LA: Toxicity of a dissolved pyrethroid mixture to Hyalella Azteca at environmentally relevant concentrations. Environ Toxicol Chem 2009, 28:1493–1499. CrossRef
- He F, Sun J, Han K, Wu Y, Yao P, Wang S, Liu L: Effects of pyrethroid insecticides on subjects engaged in packaging pyrethroids. Brit J Ind Med 1988, 45:548–551.
- Hallenbeck WH, Cunningham-Burns KM: Pesticides and human health. New York: Springer; 1985:118. CrossRef
- Go V, Garey J, Wolff MS, Pogo BG: Estrogenic potential of certain pyrethroid compounds in the MCF-7 human breast carcinoma cell line. Environ Health Persp 1999, 107:173–177. CrossRef
- Repetto RC, Baliga SS: Pesticides and immune system: the public health risks. Washington, DC: WRI (World Resource Institute), National Center for Food and Agricultural Policy; 1996.
- Demicco A, Cooper KR, Richardson JR, White LA: Developmental neurotoxicity of pyrethroid insecticides in zebrafish embryos. Toxicol Sci 2009, 113:177–186. CrossRef
- U.S. Department of health and human service: Toxicological profile for pyrethrins and pyrethroids. Atlanta GA; 2003. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp155-p.pdf.
- Werner I, Deanovic LA, Hinton DE, Henderson JD, de Oliveira GH, Wilson BW, Krueger W, Wallender WW, Oliver MN, Zalom FG: Toxicity of stormwater runoff after dormant spray application of diazinon and esfenvalerate (Asana) in French prune orchard, Glenn County, California, USA. B Environ Contam Tox 2002, 68:29–36.
- Weston DP, You J, Lydy MJ: Distribution and toxicity of sediment-associated pesticides in agriculture-dominated water bodies of California’s Central Valley. Environ Sci Technol 2004, 38:2752–2759. CrossRef
- TDC: Insecticide market trends and potential water quality implications. TDC environmental report, San Francisco Estuary project 2003. http://www.tdcenvironmental.com/finalreport.pdf.
- Manadas R, Veiga F, Sousa JJ, Pina ME: Development and validation of an HPLC method for simultaneous determination of cis- and trans-permethrin and piperonyl butoxide in pharmaceutical dosage forms. J Liq Chromatogr R T 1999, 22:1867–1876. CrossRef
- Ye J, Wu J, Liu W: Enantioselective separation and analysis of chiral pesticides by high-performance liquid chromatography. TrAC-Trend Anal Chem 2009, 28:1148–1163. CrossRef
- Shishovska M, Trajkovska V: HPLC-Method for determination of permethrin enantiomers using chiral b-cyclodextrin-based stationary phase. Chirality 2010, 22:527–533.
- Yang GS, Vazquez PP, Frenich AG, Vidal JLM, Aboul-Enein HY: Separation and simultaneous determination of enantiomers of tau-fluvalinate and permethrin in drinking water. Chromatographia 2004, 60:523–526. CrossRef
- Mekebri A, Crane DB, Blondina GJ, Oros DR, Rocca JL: Extraction and analysis methods for the determination of pyrethroid insecticides in surface water, sediments and biological tissues at environmentally relevant concentrations. B Environ Contam Tox 2008, 80:455–460. CrossRef
- Pinheiro AS, de Andradea JB: Development, validation and application of a SDME/GC-FID methodology for the multiresidue determination of organophosphate and pyrethroid pesticides in water. Talanta 2009, 79:1354–1359. CrossRef
- Wang D, Weston DP, Lydy MJ: Method development for the analysis of organophosphate and pyrethroid insecticides at low parts per trillion levels in water. Talanta 2009, 78:1345–1351. CrossRef
- Ramesh A, Ravi PE: Negative ion chemical ionization-gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric determination of residues of different pyrethroid insecticides in whole blood and serum. J Anal Toxicol 2004, 28:660–666.
- Feo ML, Eljarrat E, Barcelo D: Performance of gas chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry in the analysis of pyrethroid insecticides in environmental and food samples. Rapid Commun Mass Sp 2011, 25:869–876. CrossRef
- Li HP, Lina CH, Jen JF: Analysis of aqueous pyrethroid residuals by one-step microwave-assisted headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography with electron capture detection. Talanta 2009, 79:466–471. CrossRef
- Feo ML, Eljarrat E, Barcelo D: A rapid and sensitive analytical method for the determination of 14 pyrethroids in water samples. J Chromatogr A 2010, 1217:2248–2253. CrossRef
- ICH: Q2A validation of analytical procedure: methodology. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Harmonization. Geneva; 1994. http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/Step4/Q2_R1__Guideline.pdf.
- ICH: Q2B validation of analytical procedure: methodology. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Harmonization. Geneva; 1996. March. http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/Step4/Q2_R1__Guideline.pdf.
- Liu J, Row KH: Separation of esbiothrin and D-acetylene C permethrin in electric-mosquito coils by gas chromatography. Korean J Chem Eng 2010, 27:228–230. CrossRef
- Acikkol M, Semen S, Turkmen Z, Mercan S: Derermination of α-cypermethrin from soil by using HPTLC. JPC – J Planar Chromatogr – Mod TLC 2012, 25:48–53. CrossRef
- Validated TLC-densitometry method for the simultaneous analysis of pyrethroid insecticides in agricultural and domestic products
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Chemistry Central Journal
- Online Date
- August 2012
- Online ISSN
- Chemistry Central
- Additional Links
- Pyrethroid insecticides
- Agricultural and domestic products
- Author Affiliations
- 1. H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi, 75270, Pakistan
- 2. Division of Analytical Chemistry, Institute of Chemical Sciences, Bahauddin Zakariya University (B.Z.U.), Multan, 60800, Pakistan