Synthesis of hapten and preparation of specific polyclonal antibody with high affinity for lenalidomide, the potent drug for treatment of multiple myeloma
For therapeutic monitoring and pharmacokinetic studies of lenalidomide (LND), the potent drug for treatment of multiple myeloma (MM), a specific antibody was required for the development of a sensitive immunoassay system for the accurate determination of LND in plasma.
In this study, a hapten of LND (N-glutaryl-LND) was synthesized by introducing the glutaryl moiety, as a spacer, into the primary aromatic amine site of the LND molecular structure. The structure of the hapten (G-LND) was confirmed by mass, 1H-NMR, and 13C spectrometric techniques. G-LND was coupled to each of bovine serum albumin (BSA) and keyhole limpet hemocyanin (KLH) proteins by ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl) carbodiimide as a coupling reagent. LND-KLH conjugate was used as an immunogen. Four female 2-3 months old New Zealand white rabbits were immunized with an emulsion of LND-KLH with Freund`s adjuvant. The immune response of the rabbits was monitored by direct enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) using LND-BSA immobilized onto microwell plates as a solid phase. The rabbit that showed the highest antibody titer and affinity to LND was scarified and its sera were collected. The IgG fraction was isolated and purified by affinity chromatography on protein A column. The specificity of the purified antibody for LND was evaluated by indirect competitive ELISA using dexamethasone as a competitor as it is used with LND in a combination therapy.
The high affinity of the antibody (IC50 = 10 ng/mL) will be useful in the development of an immunoassay system for the determination of plasma LND concentrations. Current research is going to optimize the assay conditions and validate the procedures for the routine application in clinical laboratories.
- World Health Organization Report, Geneva; 2005. http://www.who.int/cancer/en.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, Murray T, Xu J, Thun M: Cancer statistics. Cancer J Clinicians 2007, 57B:43–66. CrossRef
- Lokhorst H: Clinical features and diagnostic criteria. In Myeloma. Edited by: Singhal S, Mehta J. Martin Dunitz Ltd., London; 2002:151–168.
- Tariman JD, Estrella SM: The changing treatment paradigm in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: implications for nursing. Oncol Nursing Forum 2005, 32:E127-E138. CrossRef
- Singhal S, Mehta J, Desikan R, Ayers D, Roberson P, Eddlemon P, Munshi N, Anaissie E, Wilson C, Dhodapkar M, Zeldis J, Siegel D, Crowley J, Barlogie B: Antitumor activity of thalidomide in refractory multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 1999, 341:1565–1571. CrossRef
- Tariman JD: Thalidomide: current therapeutic uses and management of its toxicities. Clin J Oncol Nursing 2003, 7:143–147. CrossRef
- Richardson PG, Schlossman RL, Weller E, Hideshima T, Mitsiades C, Davies F, LeBlanc R, Catley LP, Doss D, Kelly K, McKenney M, Mechlowicz J, Freeman A, Deocampo R, Rich R, Ryoo JJ, Chauhan D, Balinski K, Zeldis J, Anderson KC: Immunomodulatory drug CC-5013 overcomes drug resistance and is well tolerated in patients with relapsed multiple myeloma. Blood 2002, 100:3063–3067. CrossRef
- Tariman D: Lenalidomide: a new agent for patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. Clin J Oncol Nursing 2007, 11:569–574. CrossRef
- Sonneveld P, Palumbo A: Lenalidomide: a new therapy for multiple myeloma. EJHPP 2008, 14:58–61.
- Shah SR, Tran TM: Lenalidomide in myelodysplastic syndrome and multiple myeloma. Drugs 2007, 67:1869–1881. CrossRef
- Falco P, Cavallo F, Larocca A, Liberati AM, Musto P, Boccadoro M, Palumbo A: Lenalidomide and its role in the management of multiple myeloma. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2008, 8:865–874. CrossRef
- Hideshima T, Richardson PG, Anderson KC: Current therapeutic uses of lenalidomide in multiple myeloma. Expert Opin Invest Drugs 2006, 15:171–179. CrossRef
- Corral LG, Haslett PA, Muller GW, Chen R, Wong LM, Ocampo CJ, Patterson RT, Stirling DI, Kaplan G: Differential cytokine modulation and T cell activation by two distinct classes of thalidomide analogues that are potent inhibitors of TNF-alpha. J Immunol 1999, 163:380–386.
- Anderson KC: Lenalidomide and thalidomide: mechanisms of action-similarities and differences. Seminars Hematol 2005, 42:S3-S8. CrossRef
- Richardson P, Anderson K: Immunomodulatory analogs of thalidomide: an emerging new therapy in myeloma. J Clin Oncol 2004, 22:3212–3214. CrossRef
- Raje N, Hideshima T, Anderson KC: Therapeutic use of immunomodulatory drugs in the treatment of multiple myeloma. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2006, 6:1239–1247. CrossRef
- Verhelle D, Corral LG, Wong K, Mueller JH, Parseval LM, Pergakes KJ, Schafer PH, Chen R, Glezer E, Ferguson GD, Lopez-Girona A, Muller GW, Brady HA, Chan KWH: Lenalidomide and CC-4047 inhibit the proliferation of malignant B cells while expanding normal CD34 + progenitor cells. Cancer Res 2007, 67:746–755. CrossRef
- Celgene C: Revlimid® in combination with dexamethasone sNDA granted approval by FDA for treatment of multiple myeloma. http://ir.celgene.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111960&p=irol-n ewsArticle&ID=877894&highlight
- Rao KV: Linalidomide in the treatment of multiple myeloma. Am J Health System Pharmacists 2007, 64:1799–1807. CrossRef
- Andritsos LA, Johnson AJ, Lozanski G, Blum W, Kefauver C, Awan F, Smith LL, Lapalombella R, May SE, Raymond CA, Wang D, Knight RD, Ruppert AS, Lehman A, Jarjoura D, Chen CS, Byrd JC: Higher doses of lenalidomide are associated with unacceptable toxicity including life-threatening tumor flare in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2008, 26:2519–2525. CrossRef
- Palumbo A, Falco P, Corradini P, Falcone A, Di Raimondo F, Giuliani N, Ciccone CCG, Omedè P, Ambrosini MT, Gay F, Bringhen S, Musto P, Foà R, Knight R, Zeldis JB, Boccadoro M, Petrucci MT: Melphalan, prednisone, and lenalidomide treatment for newly diagnosed myeloma: a report from the gimema-Italian multiple myeloma network. J Clin Oncol 2007, 25:4459–4465. CrossRef
- Palumbo A, Rajkumar SV, Dimopoulos MA, Richardson PG, San Miguel J, Barlogie B, Harousseau J, Zonder JA, Cavo M, Zangari M, Attal M, Belch A, Knop S, Joshua D, Sezer O, Ludwig H, Vesole D, Bladé J, Kyle R, Westin J, Weber D, Bringhen S, Niesvizky R, Waage A, von Lilienfeld-Toal M, Lonial S, Morgan GJ, Orlowski RZ, Shimizu K, Anderson KC, et al.: Prevention of thalidomide- and lenalidomide-associated thrombosis in myeloma. Leukemia 2008, 22:414–423. CrossRef
- FDA: Drugs at FDA. Revlimid http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/Scripts/cder/DrugsatFDA/, http://www.revlimid.com/pdf/REVLIMID_PI.pdf
- EMEA: European Medicines Agency. Revlimid; http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/revlimid/H-717-en6.pdf
- Berg SL, Cairo MS, Russell H, Ayello J, Ingle AM, Lau H, Chen N, Adamson PC, Blaney SM: Safety, pharmacokinetics, and immunomodulatory effects of lenalidomide in children and adolescents with relapsed/refractory solid tumors or myelodysplastic syndrome: a children's oncology group phase I consortium report. J Clin Oncol 2011, 29:316–323. CrossRef
- Giagounidis A, Fenaux P, Mufti JG, Muus P, Platzbecker U, Sanz G, Cripe L, Von Lilienfeld-Toal M, Wells RA: Practical recommendations on the use of lenalidomide in the management of myelodysplastic syndromes. Ann Hematol 2008, 87:345–352. CrossRef
- Hussein MA: Lenalidomide: patient management strategies. Seminars Hematol 2005, 42:S22-S25. CrossRef
- Tohnyaa TM, Hwanga K, Leppera ER, Fineb HA, Dahutc WL, Venitzd J, Sparrebooma A, Figga WD: Determination of CC-5013, an analogue of thalidomide, in human plasma by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2004, 811:135–141.
- Qing L, Katherine F, Amy J, Natarajan M, Craig H, Kristie B, Larry S, Michael G, John B, James D, Mitch P: Development and validation of a highly sensitive liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry method for simultaneous quantification of lenalidomide and flavopiridol in human plasma. Ther Drug Monit 2008, 30:620–627. CrossRef
- Darwish IA: Immunoassay methods and their applications in pharmaceutical analysis: basic methodology and recent advances. Int J Biomed Sci 2006, 2:217–235.
- Habeeb AF: Determination of free amino groups in proteins by trinitrobenzenesulfonic acid. Anal Biochem 1966, 14:328–336. CrossRef
- Darwish IA, Al-Obaid AM, Al-Malaq HA: New highly sensitive enzyme immunoassay for determination of pravastatin in human plasma. Talanta 2009, 79:1478–1483. CrossRef
- Hermanson GT: Bioconjugate Techniques. Academic Press, San Diego; 1995.
- Weeks I: Chemiluminescence Immunoassay. Vol. XXIX. Edited by: Sevehla G. Elsevier, Amsterdam; 1992:18–118.
- Erlanger BF: Pharmacological Reviews. 1973, 25:271–280.
- Shain G, Lipton C, Gee SJ, Hammock BD: Handbook of residue analytical methods for agrochemicals. John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Chichester; 2002:640.
- Josic D, Lim YP: Analytical and preparative methods for purification of antibodies. Food Technol Biotechnol 2001, 39:215–226.
- Zonder JA, Crowley J, Hussein MA, Bolejack V, Moore DF Sr, Whittenberger BF, Abidi MH, Durie BGM, Barlogie B: Lenalidomide and high-dose dexamethasone compared with dexamethasone as initial therapy for multiple myeloma: a randomized Southwest Oncology Group trial (S0232). Blood 2010, 116:5838–5841. CrossRef
- Synthesis of hapten and preparation of specific polyclonal antibody with high affinity for lenalidomide, the potent drug for treatment of multiple myeloma
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Chemistry Central Journal
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- Chemistry Central
- Additional Links
- Multiple myeloma
- Polyclonal antibody
- Therapeutic monitoring
- Pharmacokinetic studies