Pharmacokinetics and effect of intravenous meloxicam in weaned Holstein calves following scoop dehorning without local anesthesia
Dehorning is a common practice involving calves on dairy operations in the United States. However, less than 20% of producers report using analgesics or anesthetics during dehorning. Administration of a systemic analgesic drug at the time of dehorning may be attractive to dairy producers since cornual nerve blocks require 10 – 15 min to take effect and only provide pain relief for a few hours. The primary objectives of this trial were to (1) describe the compartmental pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in calves after IV administration at 0.5 mg/kg and (2) to determine the effect of meloxicam (n = 6) or placebo (n = 6) treatment on serum cortisol response, plasma substance P (SP) concentrations, heart rate (HR), activity and weight gain in calves after scoop dehorning and thermocautery without local anesthesia.
Plasma meloxicam concentrations were detectable for 50 h post-administration and fit a 2-compartment model with a rapid distribution phase (mean T½α = 0.22 ± 0.087 h) and a slower elimination phase (mean T½β = 21.86 ± 3.03 h). Dehorning caused a significant increase in serum cortisol concentrations and HR (P < 0.05). HR was significantly lower in the meloxicam-treated calves compared with placebo-treated calves at 8 h (P = 0.039) and 10 h (P = 0.044) after dehorning. Mean plasma SP concentrations were lower in meloxicam treated calves (71.36 ± 20.84 pg/mL) compared with control calves (114.70 ± 20.84 pg/mL) (P = 0.038). Furthermore, the change in plasma SP from baseline was inversely proportional to corresponding plasma meloxicam concentrations (P = 0.008). The effect of dehorning on lying behavior was less significant in meloxicam-treated calves (p = 0.40) compared to the placebo-treated calves (P < 0.01). Calves receiving meloxicam prior to dehorning gained on average 1.05 ± 0.13 kg bodyweight/day over 10 days post-dehorning compared with 0.40 ± 0.25 kg bodyweight/day in the placebo-treated calves (p = 0.042).
To our knowledge, this is the first published report examining the effects of meloxicam without local anesthesia on SP, activity and performance of calves post-dehorning. These findings suggest that administration of meloxicam alone immediately prior to dehorning does not mitigate signs of acute distress but may have long term physiological, behavior and performance effects.
- Dairy 2007, Heifer Calf Health and Management Practices on U.S. Dairy Operations. 2007. USDA:APHIS:VS:CEAH. Fort Collins, CO #N550.0110.
- AVMA Policy: Castration and Dehorning of Cattle.
- European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products (EMEA) Web site: Committee for Veterinary Medicinal Products: Meloxicam. Maximum Residue Limit (MRL) Summary Report (2). Available athttp://www.emea.europa.eu/pdfs/vet/mrls/057199en.pdf; accessed on 12 November 2009 Available at; accessed on 12 November 2009
- Heinrich, A, Duffield, TF, Lissemore, KD, Squires, EJ, Millman, ST (2009) The impact of meloxicam on postsurgical stress associated with cautery dehorning. J Dairy Sci 92: pp. 540-547 CrossRef
- Stewart, M, Stookey, JM, Stafford, KJ, Tucker, CB, Rogers, AR, Dowling, SK, Verkerk, GA, Schaefer, AL, Webster, JR (2009) Effects of local anesthetic and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug on pain responses of dairy calves to hot-iron dehorning. J Dairy Sci 92: pp. 1512-1519 CrossRef
- Heinrich, A, Duffield, TF, Lissemore, KD, Millman, ST (2010) The effect of meloxicam on behavior and pain sensitivity of dairy calves following cautery dehorning with a local anesthetic. J Dairy Sci 93: pp. 2450-2457 CrossRef
- Ingvast-Larsson, C, Hogberg, M, Mengistu, U, Olsen, L (2010) Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in adult goat and its analgesic effect in disbudded kids. J Vet Pharm Ther 34: pp. 64-69 CrossRef
- Fulwider, WK, Grandin, T, Rollin, BE, Engle, TE, Dalsted, NL, Lamm, WD (2008) Survey of dairy management practices on one hundred thirteen North Central and northeastern United States Dairies. J Dairy Sci 91: pp. 1686-1692 CrossRef
- Hoe, FGH, Ruegg, PL (2006) Opinions and practices of Wisconsin dairy producers about biosecurity and animal well-being. J Dairy Sci 89: pp. 2297-2308 CrossRef
- Webb, AI, Pablo, LS Local Anesthetics. In: Riviere, JM, Papich, MG eds. (2009) Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, IA, USA, pp. 381-397
- Kissin, I (2000) Preemptive analgesia. Anesthesiology 93: pp. 1138-1143 CrossRef
- Lees P: Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic drugs. In Veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics. 9th edition. Edited by: Riviere JM, Papich MG. Ames, IA, USA: Wiley-Blackwell; 457–492.
- Coetzee, JF, KuKanich, B, Mosher, R, Allen, PS (2009) Pharmacokinetics of intravenous and oral meloxicam in ruminant calves. Vet Ther 10: pp. E1-E8
- Landoni, MF, Cunningham, FM, Lees, P (1995) Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ketoprofen in calves applying PK/PD modeling. J Vet Pharm Therap 18: pp. 315-324 CrossRef
- Coetzee, JF, Gehring, R, Bettenhausen, AC, Lubbers, BL, Thomson, DU, KuKanich, B, Toerber, SE, Apley, MD (2007) Mitigation of plasma cortisol response in bulls following intravenous sodium salicylate administration prior to castration. J Vet Pharm Therap 30: pp. 305-313 CrossRef
- Anderson, KL, Neff-Davis, CALE, Davis, VD (1990) Bass: Pharmacokinetics of flunixin meglumine in lactating cattle after single and multiple intramuscular and intravenous administrations. Amer J Vet Res 51: pp. 1464-1467
- Toutain, PN, Reymond, V, Laroute, P, Garcia, M, Popot, Y, Gonnaire, A, Hirsch, R (2004) Narbe. Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in plasma and urine of horses. Am J Vet Res 65: pp. 1542-1547 CrossRef
- Jeunesse, EC, Bargues, IA, Toutain, CE, Lacroix, MZ, Letellier, IM, Giraudel, JM, Toutain, PL (2011) Paw inflammation model in dog. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 338: pp. 548-558 CrossRef
- Sutherland, MA, Mellor, DJ, Stafford, KJ, Gregory, NG, Ward, RN, Bruce, RA (2002) Cortisol responses to dehorning of calves given a 5-h local anaesthetic regimen plus phenylbutazone, ketoprofen, or adrenocorticotropic hormone prior to dehorning. Res Vet Sci 2002: pp. 115-123 CrossRef
- Sylvester, SP, Mellor, DJ, Stafford, KJ, Bruce, RA, Ward, RN (1998) Acute cortisol responses of calves to scoop dehorning using local anaesthesia and/or cautery of the wound. Aust Vet J 76: pp. 118-122 CrossRef
- Schwartzkopf-Genswein, KS, Booth-McLean, ME, McAllister, TA, Mears, GJ (2005) Physiological and behavioural changes in Holstein calves during and after dehorning or castration. Can J Anim Sci 85: pp. 131-138 CrossRef
- Welfare implications of the dehorning and disbudding of cattle.
- McMeekan, CM, Stafford, KJ, Mellor, DJ, Bruce, RA, Ward, RN, Gregory, N (1999) Effects of a local anaesthetic and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic on the behavioural responses of calves to dehorning. NZ Vet J 47: pp. 92-96 CrossRef
- Coetzee, JF (2011) A review of pain assessment techniques and pharmacological approaches to pain relief after bovine castration in the United States. Invited Review. Appl Anim Behav Sci 135: pp. 192-213 CrossRef
- Coetzee, JF, Lubbers, BL, Toerber, SE, Gehring, R, Thomson, DU, White, BJ, Apley, MD (2008) Plasma concentrations of substance P and cortisol in beef calves after castration or simulated castration. Am J Vet Res 69: pp. 751-762 CrossRef
- Hopster, H, Blokhuis, HJ (1994) Validation of a heart-rate monitor for measuring a stress response in dairy cows. Can J Anim Sci 74: pp. 465-474 CrossRef
- Lefcourt, AM, Kahl, S, Akers, RM (1986) Correlation of indices of stress with intensity of electrical shock in cows. J Dairy Sci 69: pp. 833-842 CrossRef
- Lay, DC, Friend, TH, Randel, RD, Bower, CL, Grissom, KK, Jenkins, OC (1992) Behavioural and physiological effects of freeze or hot-iron branding on crossbred cattle. J Anim Sci 70: pp. 330-336
- Grondahl-Nielsen, C, Simonsen, HB, Damkjer Lund, J, Hesselholt, M (1999) Behavioural, endocrine and cardiac responses in young calves undergoing dehorning without and with the use of sedation and analgesia. Vet J 1999: pp. 14-20 CrossRef
- Theurer, ME, White, BJ, Coetzee, JF, Edwards, LN, Mosher, RA, Cull, CA (2012) Assessment of behavioral changes associated with oral meloxicam administration at time of dehorning in calves using a remote triangulation device and accelerometers. BMC Vet Res 8: pp. 48 CrossRef
- Weary, DM, Huzzey, JM, von Keyserlingk, MAG (2009) Board-Invited Review: Using behavior to predict and identify ill health in animals. J Anim Sci 87: pp. 770-777 CrossRef
- Stanton, AL, Kelton, DF, Leblanc, SJ, Millman, ST, Wormuth, J, Dingwell, RT, Leslie, KE (2010) The effect of treatment with long-acting antibiotic at postweaning movement on respiratory disease and on growth in commercial dairy calves. J Dairy Sci 93: pp. 574-581 CrossRef
- Hanzlicek, GA, White, BJ, Mosier, D, Renter, DG, Anderson, DE (2010) Serial evaluation of physiologic, pathological, and behavioral changes related to disease progression of experimentally induced Mannheimia haemolytica pneumonia in postweaned calves. Am J Vet Res 71: pp. 359-369 CrossRef
- Ito, K, Weary, DM, von Keyerslingk, MAG (2009) Lying behavior: Assessing within- and between- herd variation in free-stall-housed dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 92: pp. 4412-4420 CrossRef
- Ito, K, von Keyserlingk, MAG, LeBlanc, SJ, Weary, DM (2010) Lying behavior as an indicator of lameness in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 93: pp. 3553-3560 CrossRef
- White, BJ, Coetzee, JF, Renter, DG, Babcock, AH, Thomson, DU, Andresen, D (2008) Evaluation of two-dimensional accelerometers to monitor beef cattle behavior post-castration. Amer J Vet Res 69: pp. 1005-1012 CrossRef
- Ting, ST, Earley, B, Crowe, MA (2003) Effect of repeated ketoprofen administration during surgical castration of bulls on cortisol, immunological function, feed intake, growth, and behavior. J Anim Sci 81: pp. 1253-1264
- Faulkner, PM, Weary, DM (2000) Reducing pain after dehorning in dairy calves. J Dairy Sci 83: pp. 2037-2041 CrossRef
- Baldridge, SL, Coetzee, JF, Dritz, SS, Reinbold, JB, Gehring, R, Havel, J, Kukanich, B (2011) Pharmacokinetics and physiologic effects of intramuscularly administered xylazine hydrochloride-ketamine hydrochloride-butorphanol tartrate alone or in combination with orally administered sodium salicylate on biomarkers of pain in Holstein calves following castration and dehorning. Am J Vet Res 72: pp. 1305-1317 CrossRef
- Friton, GM, Cajal, C, Ramirez-Romero, R (2005) Long-term effects of meloxicam in the treatment of respiratory disease in fattening cattle. Vet Rec 156: pp. 809-811
- Garry FB: Disorders of reticuloruminal motor function. In Large Animal Internal Medicine. 3rd edition. Edited by: Smith BP. St Louis, MO, USA: Mosby; :723–724.
- Mellor, DJ, Stafford, KJ, Todd, SE, Lowe, TE, Gregory, NG, Bruce, RA, Ward, RN (2002) A comparison of catecholamine and cortisol responses of young lambs and calves to painful husbandry procedures. Aust Vet J 80: pp. 228-233 CrossRef
- Leek, BF (2001) Review: reticuloruminal motility–a pharmacological target with a difference?. Vet Q 23: pp. 26-31 CrossRef
- Robert, B, White, BJ, Renter, DG, Larson, RL (2009) Evaluation of three dimensional accelerometers as a method to categorize and classify behavior patterns in cattle. Comput Electron Agric 67: pp. 80-84 CrossRef
- Kotschwar, JL, Coetzee, JF, Anderson, DE, Gehring, R, KuKanich, B (2000) Analgesic Efficacy of Sodium Salicylate in an Amphotericin B Induced Bovine Synovitis-Arthritis Model. J Dairy Sci 92: pp. 3731-3743 CrossRef
- Coetzee, JF, Mosher, RA, Kohake, LE, Cull, CA, Kelly, LL, Mueting, SL, KuKanich, B (2011) Pharmacokinetics of oral gabapentin alone or co-administered with meloxicam in ruminant beef calves. Vet J 190: pp. 98-102 CrossRef
- Gibaldi, M, Perrier, D (1982) Pharmacokinetics. Marcel Dekker Inc, New York, USA
- Sall, J, Creighton, L, Lehman, A (2004) JMP Start Statistics. Thomson Brooks/Cole, Belmont, California
- Pharmacokinetics and effect of intravenous meloxicam in weaned Holstein calves following scoop dehorning without local anesthesia
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Veterinary Research
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Substance P
- Heart rate
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, 66506-5601, Manhattan, KS, USA
- 3. Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, 50014, Ames, IA, USA
- 2. Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Kansas State University, 66506-5601, Manhattan, KS, USA