CD20-positive NK/T-cell lymphoma with indolent clinical course: report of case and review of literature
CD20-positive T-cell lymphoma is extremely rare and only two cases of CD20-positive NK/T-cell lymphoma with aggressive clinical courses have been described in the literature. We present a case of unusual NK/T-cell lymphoma with CD20 expression in nasal cavity occurring in an elder female patient. The patient had presented with left nasal cavity nodule for 10 years. CT scan revealed a mass was located at the left anterior nasal cavity and was observed to extend into the ethmoid sinus. There was no regional lymph node involvement. Biopsy was performed and microscopical inspection revealed the lesion was composed of small- to middle-size atypical lymphoid cell, histiocytes, eosinophils, and neutrophils. The lymphoid cells were strongly immunoreactive to CD3, CD20, CD56, TIA-1 and granzyme-B. The Epstein-Barr virus genomes were also found in tumor cells by in situ hybridization. By genetic analysis, however, no clonal rearrangement of the T cell receptor-γ genes (TCRG), or the immunoglobulin heavy chain (IgH) gene was found. A diagnosis of CD20-positive extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type was made. The patient refused chemotherapy, and had been only on regular follow-up for 6 months. There was no sign of enlargement of tumor and extra-nasal dissemination by whole body positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) study. The accurate diagnosis of NK/T-cell lymphoma with CD20 expression is important, but the indolent behavior of the present case is more unusual. A long-term follow-up is suggested to be performed to inspect the progression for this tumor.
The virtual slides for this article can be found here: http://www.diagnosticpathology.diagnomx.eu/vs/1320848277788495
- Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, Campo E, Pileri SA, Swerdlow SH: Introduction and overview of the classification of the lymphoid neoplasms. In WHO classification of tumors pathology and genetics of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. 4th edition. Edited by: Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J, Vardiman JW. IARC Press, Lyon; 2008:158–166.
- Pilozzi E, Pulford K, Jones M, Müller-Hermelink HK, Falini B, Ralfkiaer E, Pileri S, Pezzella F, De Wolf-Peeters C, Arber D, Stein H, Mason D, Gatter K: Co-expression of CD79a (JCB117) and CD3 by lymphoblastic lymphoma. J Pathol 1998, 186:140–143. CrossRef
- Muller-Hermelink HK, Montserrat E, Catovsky D, Campo E, Harris NL, Stein H: Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma. In WHO classification of tumors pathology and genetics of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. 4th edition. Edited by: Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J, Vardiman JW. IARC Press, Lyon; 2008:180–182.
- Ramsay AD, Smith WJ, Earl HM, Souhami RL, Isaacson PG: T-cell lymphomas in adults: a clinicopathological study of eighteen cases. J Pathol 1987, 152:63–76. CrossRef
- Norton AJ, Isaacson PG: Monoclonal antibody L26: an antibody that is reactive with normal and neoplastic B lymphocytes in routinely fixed and paraffin wax embedded tissues. J Clin Pathol 1987, 40:1405–1412. CrossRef
- Linder J, Ye Y, Armitage JO, Weisenburger DD: Monoclonal antibodies marking B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in paraffin-embedded tissue. Mod Pathol 1988, 1:29–34.
- Hamilton-Dutoit SJ, Pallesen G: B cell associated monoclonal antibody L26 may occasionally label T cell lymphomas. APMIS 1989, 97:1033–1036. CrossRef
- Warzynski MJ, Graham DM, Axtell RA, Zakem MH, Rotman RK: Low level CD20 expression on T cell malignancies. Cytometry 1994, 18:88–92. CrossRef
- Takami A, Saito M, Nakao S, Asakura H, Nozue T, Onoe Y, Yachie A, Shiobara S, Matsuda T: CD20-positive T-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Br J Haematol 1998, 102:1327–1329.
- Blakolmer K, Vesely M, Kummer JA, Jurecka W, Mannhalter C, Chott A: Immunoreactivity of B-cell markers (CD79a, L26) in rare cases of extranodal cytotoxic peripheral T- (NK/T-) cell lymphomas. Mod Pathol 2000, 13:766–772. CrossRef
- Mohrmann RL, Arber DA: CD20-Positive peripheral T-cell lymphoma: report of a case after nodular sclerosis Hodgkin's disease and review of the literature. Mod Pathol 2000, 13:1244–1252. CrossRef
- Yao X, Teruya-Feldstein J, Raffeld M, Sorbara L, Jaffe ES: Peripheral T-cell lymphoma with aberrant expression of CD79a and CD20: a diagnostic pitfall. Mod Pathol 2001, 14:105–110. CrossRef
- Yasukawa M, Arai J, Kakimoto M, Sakai I, Kohno H, Fujita S: CD20-positive adult T-cell leukemia. Am J Hematol 2001, 66:39–41. CrossRef
- Yokose N, Ogata K, Sugisaki Y, Mori S, Yamada T, An E, Dan K: CD20-positive T cell leukemia/lymphoma: case report and review of the literature. Ann Hematol 2001, 80:372–375. CrossRef
- Tamayose K, Sato N, Ando J, Sugimoto K, Oshimi K: CD3-negative, CD20-positive T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia: case report and review of the literature. Am J Hematol 2002, 71:331–335. CrossRef
- Sun T, Akalin A, Rodacker M, Braun T: CD20 positive T cell lymphoma: is it a real entity? J Clin Pathol 2004, 57:442–444. CrossRef
- Magro CM, Seilstad KH, Porcu P, Morrison CD: Primary CD20+CD10+CD8+ T-cell lymphoma of the skin with IgH and TCR beta gene rearrangement. Am J Clin Pathol 2006, 126:14–22. CrossRef
- Buckner CL, Christiansen LR, Bourgeois D, Lazarchick JJ, Lazarchick J: CD20 positive T-cell lymphoma/leukemia: a rare entity with potential diagnostic pitfalls. Ann Clin Lab Sci 2007, 37:263–267.
- Gonin J, Kadiri H, Bensaci S, Le Tourneau A, Molina TJ, Diebold J, Abdellouche DJ, Audouin J: Primary mediastinal anaplastic alk-1-positive large-cell lymphoma of T/NK-cell type expressing CD20. Virchows Arch 2007, 450:355–358. CrossRef
- Sen F, Kang S, Cangiarella J, Kamino H, Hymes K: CD20 positive mycosis fungoides: a case report. J Cutan Pathol 2008, 35:398–403. CrossRef
- Rahemtullah A, Longtine JA, Harris NL, Dorn M, Zembowicz A, Quintanilla-Fend L, Preffer FI, Ferry JA: CD20+ T-cell lymphoma: clinicopathologic analysis of 9 cases and a review of the literature. Am J Surg Pathol 2008, 32:1593–1607. CrossRef
- Balmer NN, Hughey L, Busam KJ, Reddy V, Andea AA: Primary cutaneous peripheral T-cell lymphoma with aberrant coexpression of CD20: case report and review of the literature. Am J Dermatopathol 2009, 31:187–192. CrossRef
- Oshima H, Matsuzaki Y, Takeuchi S, Nakano H, Sawamura D: CD20+ primary cutaneous T-cell lymphoma presenting as a solitary extensive plaque. Br J Dermatol 2009, 160:894–896. CrossRef
- Xiao WB, Wang ZM, Wang LJ: CD20-positive T-cell lymphoma with indolent clinical behaviour. J Int Med Res 2010, 38:1170–1174.
- Lee KY, Jeon SY, Hong JW, Kim YH, Song KH, Kim KH: CD20 positive T cell lymphoma involvement of skin. Ann Dermatol 2011, 23:529–535. CrossRef
- Ando J, Sugimoto K, Ando M, Isobe Y, Sasaki M, Oshimi K: CD20-positive extranodal NK-cell lymphoma, nasal-type. Eur J Haematol 2008, 80:549–550. CrossRef
- Gill HS, Lau WH, Chan AC, Leung RY, Khong PL, Leung AY, Kwong YL: CD20 expression in natural killer T cell lymphoma. Histopathology 2010, 57:157–159. CrossRef
- Hasserjian RP, Harris NL: NK-cell lymphomas and leukemias: a spectrum of tumors with variable manifestations and immunophenotype. Am J Clin Pathol 2007, 127:860–868. CrossRef
- Ng SB, Lai KW, Murugaya S, Lee KM, Loong SL, Fook-Chong S, Tao M, Sng I: Nasal-type extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphomas: a clinicopathologic and genotypic study of 42 cases in Singapore. Mod Pathol 2004, 17:1097–1107. CrossRef
- Bekkenk MW, Jansen PM, Meijer CJ, Willemze R: CD56+ hematological neoplasms presenting in the skin: a retrospective analysis of 23 new cases and 130 cases from the literature. Ann Oncol 2004, 15:1097–1108. CrossRef
- Quintanilla-Martinez L, Preffer F, Rubin D, Ferry JA, Harris NL: CD20+ T-cell lymphoma. Neoplastic transformation of a normal T-cell subset. Am J Clin Pathol 1994, 102:483–489.
- Murayama Y, Mukai R, Sata T, Matsunaga S, Noguchi A, Yoshikawa Y: Transient expression of CD20 antigen (pan B cell marker) in activated lymph node T cells. Microbiol Immunol 1996, 40:467–471.
- Hultin LE, Hausner MA, Hultin PM, Giorgi JV: CD20 (pan-B cell) antigen is expressed at a low level on a subpopulation of human T lymphocytes. Cytometry 1993, 14:196–204. CrossRef
- CD20-positive NK/T-cell lymphoma with indolent clinical course: report of case and review of literature
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- NK/T cell lymphoma
- Nasal type
- CD20 expression
- Differential diagnosis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, the Third Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical University, 63, Duobao Road, Guangzhou, 510150, China
- 2. Department of Pathology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, 58, Zhongshan Road II, Guangzhou, 510080, China