The protein binding substance Ibuprofen does not affect the T1 time or partition coefficient in contrast-enhanced cardiovascular magnetic resonance
Contrast enhanced cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) with T1 mapping enables quantification of diffuse myocardial fibrosis. Various factors, however, can interfere with T1 measurements. The purpose of the current study was to assess the effect of co-medication with a typical protein binding drug (Ibuprofen) on T1 values in vitro and in vivo.
50 vials were prepared with different concentrations of gadobenate dimeglumine, Ibuprofen and human serum albumin in physiologic NaCl solution and imaged at 1.5T with a spin echo sequence at multiple TRs to measure T1 values and calculate relaxivities. 10 volunteers (5 men; 31±6.3 years) were imaged at 1.5T. T1 values for myocardium and blood pool were determined for various time points after administration of 0.15mmol/kg gadobenate dimeglumine using a modified look-locker inversion-recovery sequence before and after administration of Ibuprofen over 24 hours. The partition coefficient was calculated as ΔR1myocardium/ΔR1blood, where R1=1/T1.
In vitro no significant correlation was found between relaxivity and Ibuprofen concentration, neither in absence (r=−0.15, p=0.40) nor in presence of albumin (r=−0.32, p=0.30). In vivo there was no significant difference in post contrast T1 times of myocardium and blood, respectively and also in the partition coefficient between exam 1 and 2 (p>0.05). There was good agreement of the T1 times of myocardium and blood and the partition coefficient, respectively between exam 1 and 2.
Contrast enhanced T1 mapping is unaffected by co-medication with the protein binding substance Ibuprofen and has an excellent reproducibility.
- Iles, L, Pfluger, H, Phrommintikul, A, Cherayath, J, Aksit, P, Gupta, SN, Kaye, DM, Taylor, AJ (2008) Evaluation of diffuse myocardial fibrosis in heart failure with cardiac magnetic resonance contrast-enhanced T1 mapping. J Am Coll Cardiol 52: pp. 1574-1580 CrossRef
- Been, M, Thomson, BJ, Smith, MA, Ridgway, JP, Douglas, RH, Best, JJ, Muir, AL (1988) Myocardial involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus detected by magnetic resonance imaging. Eur Heart J 9: pp. 1250-1256
- Maceira, AM, Joshi, J, Prasad, SK, Moon, JC, Perugini, E, Harding, I, Sheppard, MN, Poole-Wilson, PA, Hawkins, PN, Pennell, DJ (2005) Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in cardiac amyloidosis. Circulation 111: pp. 186-193 CrossRef
- Sparrow, P, Messroghli, DR, Reid, S, Ridgway, JP, Bainbridge, G, Sivananthan, MU (2006) Myocardial T1 mapping for detection of left ventricular myocardial fibrosis in chronic aortic regurgitation: pilot study. AJR Am J Roentgenol 187: pp. W630-W635 CrossRef
- Broberg, CS, Chugh, SS, Conklin, C, Sahn, DJ, Jerosch-Herold, M (2010) Quantification of diffuse myocardial fibrosis and its association with myocardial dysfunction in congenital heart disease. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 3: pp. 727-734 CrossRef
- Jellis, C, Martin, J, Narula, J, Marwick, TH (2010) Assessment of nonischemic myocardial fibrosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 56: pp. 89-97 CrossRef
- Ng, AC, Auger, D, Delgado, V, van Elderen, SG, Bertini, M, Siebelink, HM, van der Geest, RJ, Bonetti, C, van der Velde, ET, de Roos, A (2012) Association between diffuse myocardial fibrosis by cardiac magnetic resonance contrast-enhanced t1 mapping and subclinical myocardial dysfunction in diabetic patients: a pilot study. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 5: pp. 51-59 CrossRef
- Messroghli D, Nordmeyer S, Dietrich T, Dirsch O, Kaschina E, Savvatis K: D OHI, Klein C, Berger F, Kuehne T: Assessment of Diffuse Myocardial Fibrosis in Rats Using Small Animal Look-Locker Inversion Recovery (SALLI) T1 Mapping. Imaging: Circ Cardiovasc; 2011.
- Wong, TC, Piehler, K, Meier, CG, Testa, SM, Klock, AM, Aneizi, AA, Shakesprere, J, Kellman, P, Shroff, SG, Schwartzman, DS (2012) Association between extracellular matrix expansion quantified by cardiovascular magnetic resonance and short-term mortality. Circulation 126: pp. 1206-1216 CrossRef
- Gai, N, Turkbey, EB, Nazarian, S, van der Geest, RJ, Liu, CY, Lima, JA, Bluemke, DA (2011) T(1) mapping of the gadolinium-enhanced myocardium: Adjustment for factors affecting interpatient comparison. Magn Reson Med 65: pp. 1407-1415 CrossRef
- Kawel, N, Nacif, M, Santini, F, Liu, S, Bremerich, J, Arai, AE, Bluemke, DA (2012) Partition coefficients for gadolinium chelates in the normal myocardium: Comparison of gadopentetate dimeglumine and gadobenate dimeglumine. J Magn Reson Imaging 36: pp. 733-777 CrossRef
- Aime, S, Caravan, P (2009) Biodistribution of gadolinium-based contrast agents, including gadolinium deposition. J Magn Reson Imaging 30: pp. 1259-1267 CrossRef
- Rohrer, M, Bauer, H, Mintorovitch, J, Requardt, M, Weinmann, HJ (2005) Comparison of magnetic properties of MRI contrast media solutions at different magnetic field strengths. Invest Radiol 40: pp. 715-724 CrossRef
- Spinazzi, A, Lorusso, V, Pirovano, G, Kirchin, M (1999) Safety, tolerance, biodistribution, and MR imaging enhancement of the liver with gadobenate dimeglumine: results of clinical pharmacologic and pilot imaging studies in nonpatient and patient volunteers. Acad Radiol 6: pp. 282-291 CrossRef
- Lauffer, RB, Parmelee, DJ, Dunham, SU, Ouellet, HS, Dolan, RP, Witte, S, McMurry, TJ, Walovitch, RC (1998) MS-325: albumin-targeted contrast agent for MR angiography. Radiology 207: pp. 529-538
- Wang, Y, Spiller, M, Caravan, P (2010) Evidence for weak protein binding of commercial extracellular gadolinium contrast agents. Magn Reson Med 63: pp. 609-616 CrossRef
- Messroghli, DR, Greiser, A, Frohlich, M, Dietz, R, Schulz-Menger, J (2007) Optimization and validation of a fully-integrated pulse sequence for modified look-locker inversion-recovery (MOLLI) T1 mapping of the heart. J Magn Reson Imaging 26: pp. 1081-1086 CrossRef
- Santini, FPS, Scheffler, K (2011) IceLuva: A scripting framework for MR image reconstruction based on free software. Concepts in Magnetic Resonance Part B: Magnetic Resonance Engineering 39B: pp. 1-10 CrossRef
- Messroghli, DR, Rudolph, A, Abdel-Aty, H, Wassmuth, R, Kuhne, T, Dietz, R, Schulz-Menger, J (2010) An open-source software tool for the generation of relaxation time maps in magnetic resonance imaging. BMC Med Imaging 10: pp. 16 CrossRef
- Cerqueira, MD, Weissman, NJ, Dilsizian, V, Jacobs, AK, Kaul, S, Laskey, WK, Pennell, DJ, Rumberger, JA, Ryan, T, Verani, MS (2002) Standardized myocardial segmentation and nomenclature for tomographic imaging of the heart: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Cardiac Imaging Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology of the American Heart Association. Circulation 105: pp. 539-542 CrossRef
- Lee, JJ, Liu, S, Nacif, MS, Ugander, M, Kawel, N, Sibley, CT, Kellman, P, Arai, A, Bluemke, DA (2011) Myocardial T1 and Extracellular Volume Fraction Mapping at 3 Tesla. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance: official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 13: pp. 75 CrossRef
- Sharma, P, Socolow, J, Patel, S, Pettigrew, RI, Oshinski, JN (2006) Effect of Gd-DTPA-BMA on blood and myocardial T1 at 1.5T and 3T in humans. J Magn Reson Imaging 23: pp. 323-330 CrossRef
- Spinazzi, A, Lorusso, V, Pirovano, G, Taroni, P, Kirchin, M, Davies, A (1998) Multihance clinical pharmacology: biodistribution and MR enhancement of the liver. Acad Radiol 5: pp. S86-S89 CrossRef
- Giesel, FL, von Tengg-Kobligk, H, Wilkinson, ID, Siegler, P, von der Lieth, CW, Frank, M, Lodemann, KP, Essig, M (2006) Influence of human serum albumin on longitudinal and transverse relaxation rates (r1 and r2) of magnetic resonance contrast agents. Invest Radiol 41: pp. 222-228 CrossRef
- Vander Elst, L, Laurent, S, Bintoma, HM, Muller, RN (2001) Albumin-bound MRI contrast agents: the dilemma of the rotational correlation time. MAGMA 12: pp. 135-140 CrossRef
- Caravan, P (2009) Protein-targeted gadolinium-based magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) contrast agents: design and mechanism of action. Acc Chem Res 42: pp. 851-862 CrossRef
- Elsadek, B, Kratz, F (2012) Impact of albumin on drug delivery - New applications on the horizon. J Control Release 157: pp. 4-28 CrossRef
- Messroghli, DR, Plein, S, Higgins, DM, Walters, K, Jones, TR, Ridgway, JP, Sivananthan, MU (2006) Human myocardium: single-breath-hold MR T1 mapping with high spatial resolution–reproducibility study. Radiology 238: pp. 1004-1012 CrossRef
- Kawel, N, Nacif, M, Zavodni, A, Jones, J, Liu, S, Sibley, CT, Bluemke, DA (2012) T1 mapping of the myocardium: intra-individual assessment of post-contrast T1 time evolution and extracellular volume fraction at 3T for Gd-DTPA and Gd-BOPTA. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 14: pp. 26 CrossRef
- The protein binding substance Ibuprofen does not affect the T1 time or partition coefficient in contrast-enhanced cardiovascular magnetic resonance
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Gadobenate dimeglumine
- Diffuse myocardial fibrosis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, Basel, 4031, Switzerland
- 2. Radiological Physics, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, Basel, 4031, Switzerland
- 3. Scientific Affairs, Guerbet Switzerland, Winterthurerstrasse 92, Zurich, 8006, Switzerland