Expression of AQP5 and AQP8 in human colorectal carcinoma and their clinical significance
The aquaporins (AQPs) are a family of small membrane transport proteins whose overexpression has been implicated in tumorigenesis. However, the expression of AQP5 and AQP8 in colorectal cancer and the clinical significance remain unexplored. This study aimed to detect the expression of AQP5 and AQP8 in clinical samples of colorectal cancer and analyze the correlations of their expression with the clinicopathological features of colorectal cancer.
Forty pairs of colorectal cancer tissue and paraneoplastic normal tissue were obtained at the time of surgery from patients with colorectal cancer. The expression of AQP5 and AQP8 was detected by immunohistochemical staining and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction.
AQP5 was mainly expressed in colorectal carcinoma cells and barely expressed in paraneoplastic normal tissues. By contrast, AQP8 was mainly expressed in paraneoplastic normal tissues and barely expressed in colorectal carcinoma cells. AQP5 expression was not significantly associated with the sex or age of the patient with colorectal cancer (P>0.05), but was closely associated with the differentiation, tumor-nodes-metastasis stage and distant lymph node metastasis of colorectal carcinoma (P<0.05).
AQP5 might be a novel prognostic biomarker for patients with colorectal cancer.
- Arnold D, Stein A: Personalized treatment of colorectal cancer. Onkologie 2012,35(Suppl 1):42–48. CrossRef
- Xi RC, Biao WS, Gang ZZ: Significant elevation of survivin and livin expression in human colorectal cancer: inverse correlation between expression and overall survival. Onkologie 2011, 34:428–432. CrossRef
- Li XD, Miao SY, Wang GL, Yang L, Shu YQ, Yin YM: Amphiregulin and epiregulin expression in colorectal carcinoma and the correlation with clinicopathological characteristics. Onkologie 2010, 33:353–358. CrossRef
- Wang F, Zhang P, Ma Y, Yang J, Moyer MP, Shi C, Peng J, Qin H: NIRF is frequently upregulated in colorectal cancer and its oncogenicity can be suppressed by let-7a microRNA. Cancer Lett 2012, 314:223–231. CrossRef
- Liang QL, Li ZY, Chen GQ, Lai ZN, Wang BR, Huang J: Prognostic value of serum soluble Fas in patients with locally advanced unresectable rectal cancer receiving concurrent chemoradiotherapy. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 2010, 11:912–917. CrossRef
- Liang QL, Wang BR, Li GH: DcR3 and survivin are highly expressed in colorectal carcinoma and closely correlated to its clinicopathologic parameters. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 2009, 10:675–682. CrossRef
- Ishibashi K, Hara S, Kondo S: Aquaporin water channels in mammals. Clin Exp Nephrol 2009, 13:107–117. CrossRef
- Jung HJ, Park JY, Jeon HS, Kwon TH: Aquaporin-5: a marker protein for proliferation and migration of human breast cancer cells. PLoS One 2011,6(12):e28492. CrossRef
- Zhang T, Zhao C, Chen D, Zhou Z: Over expression of AQP5 in cervical cancer: correlation with clinic opathological features and prognosis. Med Oncol 2012, 29:1998–2004. CrossRef
- Yang JH, Yu YQ, Yan CX: Localisation and expression of aquaporin subtypes in epithelial ovarian tumours. Histol Histopathol 2011, 26:1197–1205.
- Woo J, Lee J, Chae YK, Kim MS, Baek JH, Park JC, Park MJ, Smith IM, Trink B, Ratovitski E, Lee T, Park B, Jang SJ, Soria JC, Califano JA, Sidransky D, Moon C: Overexpression of AQP5, a putative oncogene, promotes cell growth and transformation. Cancer Lett 2008, 264:54–62. CrossRef
- Chae YK, Woo J, Kim MJ, Kang SK, Kim MS, Lee J, Lee SK, Gong G, Kim YH, Soria JC, Jang SJ, Sidransky D, Moon C: Expression of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) promotes tumor invasion in human non small cell lung cancer. PLoS One 2008, 3:e2162. CrossRef
- Fischer H, Stenling R, Rubio C, Lindblom A: Differential expression of aquaporin 8 in human colonic epithelial cells and colorectal tumors. BMC Physio 2001, 1:1. CrossRef
- Kang SK, Chae YK, Woo J, Kim MS, Park JC, Lee J, Soria JC, Jang SJ, Sidransky D, Moon C: Role of human aquaporin 5 in colorectal carcinogenesis. Am J Pathol 2008, 173:518–525. CrossRef
- Moon C, Soria JC, Jang SJ, Lee J, ObaidulHoque M, Sibony M, Trink B, Chang YS, Sidransky D, Mao L: Involvement of aquaporins in colorectal carcinogenesis. Oncogene 2003, 22:6699–6703. CrossRef
- Yan C, Yang J, Shen L, Chen X: Inhibitory effect of epigallocatechin gallate on ovarian cancer cell proliferation associated with aquaporin 5 expression. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2012, 285:459–467. CrossRef
- Expression of AQP5 and AQP8 in human colorectal carcinoma and their clinical significance
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
World Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Online Date
- November 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Colorectal cancer
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Liaoning Medical University, No 2,5th Duan, People’s Street, Guta District, Jinzhou, 121001, China
- 2. Department of Renal Medicine, The Third Affiliated Hospital, Liaoning Medical University, Jinzhou, 121001, China