Granular cell tumors: a report of six cases
Granular cell tumor is a soft tissue neoplasm that originates in the nervous system and arises at virtually any body site, but is mainly found in the skin, oral cavity or digestive tract. Most are benign and reportedly malignant cases are rare, occurring in only 1% or 2% of cases. We report on our findings in six patients who developed granular cell tumor in the mammary gland, esophagus, subcutaneous tissue and muscle. Of six patients, two had granular cell tumor located in the breast, two in the submucosa of the esophagus, and the other two under the skin of the left axillary cavity and in the right latissimus dorsi muscle, respectively. One of the two patients with tumor in the submucosa of the esophagus also had esophageal cancer. Patients’ age ranged from 41 to 70 years (average, 59.1 years). Two patients with tumor in the submucosa of the esophagus were men, and the others were women. All of them were given a diagnosis of granular cell tumor by tissue biopsy and examination of excised specimens, but no evidence of malignancy was found. No recurrence has been noted in the patients who underwent surgical tumor removal.
- Abrikossoff A: Uber Myome, ausgehend von der quergestreiften wilkuerlichen muskulatur. Virchows Arch Pathol Anat 1926, 260:215–233. CrossRef
- Weiss SW, Goldblum JR: Enzinger and Weiss’s Soft Tissue Tumor (fifth ed.). St Louis: Mosby; 2008:878–887.
- Lack EE, Worsham GF, Callihan MD, Crawford BE, Klappenbach S, Rowden G, Chun B: Granular cell tumor: a clinicopathologic study of 110 patients. J Surg Oncol 1980, 13:301–316. CrossRef
- Khansur T, Balducci L, Tavassoli M: Granular cell tumor. Clinical spectrum of the benign and malignant entity. Cancer 1987, 60:220–222. CrossRef
- Fanburg-Smith JC, Meis-Kindblom JM, Fante R, Kindblom LG: Malignant granular cell tumor of soft tissue: diagnostic criteria and clinicopathologic correlation. Am J Surg Pathol 1998, 22:779–794. CrossRef
- Sonobe H, Iwata J, Furihata M, Moriki T, Ohtsuki Y: Malignant granular cell tumor: report of a case and review and the literature. Pathol Res Pract 1998, 194:507–513. CrossRef
- Kataoka A, Koike M, Kuranuki K, Wakayama K, Yamada S, Akasaka Y: A case of malignant granular cell tumor arisen in the chest wall (in Japanese with English abstract). J Jpn Surg Assoc 2005, 66:2403–2406. CrossRef
- Kanabe S, Watanabe I, Lotuaco L: Multiple granular-cell tumors of the ascending colon: microscopic study. Dis Colon Rectum 1978, 21:322–328. CrossRef
- Vance SF III, Hudson RP Jr: Granular cell myoblastoma. Clinicopathologic study of forty-two patients. Am J Clin Pathol 1969, 52:208–211.
- Ordóñez NG: Granular cell tumor: review and update. Adv Anat Pathol 1999, 6:186–203. CrossRef
- Becelli R, Perugini M, Gasparini G, Cassoni A, Fabian F: Abrikossoff’s tumor. J Craniofac Surg 2001, 12:78–81. CrossRef
- Lauwers K, Bestman TJ, Bergmans G, Molderez C: Granular cell tumor of the male breast. Acta Chir Belg 2008, 108:112–114.
- Ohnishi H, Nishihara K, Tamae K, Mitsuyama S, Abe R, Toyoshima S, Abe E: Granular cell tumors of the breast: a report of two cases. Jpn J Surg 1996, 26:929–932. CrossRef
- Akatsu T, Kobayashi H, Uematsu S, Tamagawa E, Shinozaki H, Kase K, Kobayashi K, Otsuka S, Mukai M, Kitajima M: Granular cell tumor of the breast preoperatively diagnosed by fine- needle aspiration cytology: report of a case. Jpn J Surg 2004, 34:760–763.
- Aoyama K, Kamio T, Ohchi T, Kameoka S: A case of granular cell breast tumor (in Japanese with English abstract). J Jpn Surg Assoc 2005, 66:332–335. CrossRef
- Takei J, Nakamura S, Suzuki K: Granular cell tumor of the breast diagnosed by core needle biopsy: a case report (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Breast Cancer Clin 2005, 20:239–243.
- Patel A, Lefemine V, Yousuf SM, Abou-Samra W: Granular cell tumor of pectoral muscle mimicking breast cancer. Cases J 2008, 6:142. CrossRef
- Brown AC, Audisio RA, Regitnig P: Granular cell tumour of the breast. Surg Oncol 2011, 20:97–105. CrossRef
- Narra SL, Tombazzi C, Datta V, Ismail MK: Granular cell tumor of the esophagus: report of five cases and review of the literature. Am J Med Sci 2008, 335:338–341. CrossRef
- Maekawa H, Maekawa T, Yabuki K, Sato K, Tamazaki Y, Kudo K, Wada R, Matsumoto M: Multiple esophagogastric granular cell tumors. J Gastroenterol 2003, 38:776–780. CrossRef
- Kawamura A, Nishikawa S, Tanida N, Tamura K, Ohno T, Ohama I, Kano M, Shimoyama T, Sano T: Granular cell tumor of the ascending colon: a case report. Gastoroenterologia Japonica 1987, 22:88–91.
- Nakachi A, Miyazota H, Oshiro T, Shimoji H, Shiraishi M, Muto Y: Granular cell tumor of the rectum: a case report and review of the literature. J Gastroenterol 2000, 35:631–634. CrossRef
- Hazan C, Fanqman W: Multiple cutaneous granular- cell tumors. Dermatol Online J 2007, 27:4.
- Gross VL, Lynfield V: Multiple cutaneous granular cell tumors: a case report and review of the literature. Cutis 2002, 69:343.
- Natsume S, Hasegawa H, Sakamoto E, Komatsu S, Hiromatsu T, Tabata T: A case of atypical granular cell tumor in rectus abdominis muscle (in Japanese with English abstract). J Jpn Surg Assoc 2006, 67:206–210. CrossRef
- Granular cell tumors: a report of six cases
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
World Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Granular cell tumor