Managing soft tissue sarcomas in a developing country: are prognostic factors similar to those of developed world?
Managing soft tissue sarcomas (STS) in a developing country with limited financial resources and a poor health referral system is a challenge. Presenting late, these extremity STS are prone to recurrence despite apparently complete resection. This study aimed to explore and compare the impact of clinico-pathological factors on recurrence and survival in Pakistan with the corresponding figures quoted from the developed world.
An institutional review was performed on all patients with primary STS of the extremities operated on between 1994 and 2008. The prognostic influence of clinical, pathologic, and treatment variables on local recurrence free survival (LRFS), metastasis free survival (MFS) and overall survival (OS) were analyzed by univariate and multivariate Cox regression analysis and Kaplan Meier survival curves.
A total of 84 patients with a mean age of 41.8 ± 21.9 years were included in the study. The local recurrence rate was 14.3% after a median of 6 (mean 7.4) months. Metastases occurred in 7 patients (8.3%) and 65 patients were alive without evidence of disease after a mean follow-up of 52.6 ± 39.8 months. Tumor size > 5 cm, grade 3 tumors and margin < 10 mm significantly increased local recurrence rates. A margin ≥ 10 mm and age < 45 years significantly enhanced cumulative survival. Significant multivariate risk factors for metastases were margin < 10 mm and tumor grade G3.
Despite a poor health referral system in our country, our results are no different from those reported from the developed world. Surgical margins and tumor grade prognostically influenced LRFS, MFS and OS.
- Lachenmayer A, Yang Q, Eisenberger CF, Boelke E, Poremba C, Heinecke A, Ohmann C, Knoefel WT, Peiper M: Superficial soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities and trunk. World J Surg 2009, 33:1641–1649. CrossRef
- DeVita VT Jr, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA: Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 6th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia; 2001:1841–1891.
- Wasif N, Tamurian RM, Christensen S, Do L, Martinez SR, Chen SL, Canter RJ: Influence of specialty and clinical experience on treatment sequencing in the multimodal management of soft tissue extremity sarcoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2012, 19:504–510. CrossRef
- Rosenberg SA, Tepper J, Glatstein E, Costa J, Baker A, Brennan M, DeMoss EV, Seipp C, Sindelar WF, Sugarbaker P, Wesley R: The treatment of soft-tissue sarcomas of the extremities: prospective randomized evaluations of (1) limb-sparing surgery plus radiation therapy compared with amputation and (2) the role of adjuvant chemotherapy. Ann Surg 1982, 196:305–315. CrossRef
- Yang JC, Chang AE, Baker AR, Sindelar WF, Danforth DN, Topalian SL, DeLaney T, Glatstein E, Steinberg SM, Merino MJ, Rosenberg SA: Randomized prospective study of the benefit of adjuvant radiation therapy in the treatment of soft tissue sarcomas of the extremity. J Clin Oncol 1998, 16:197–203.
- Singer S, Demetri GD, Baldini EH, Fletcher CD: Management of soft-tissue sarcomas: an overview and update. Lancet Oncol 2000, 1:75–85. CrossRef
- Alderman AK, Kim HM, Kotsis SV, Chung KC: Upper-extremity sarcomas in the United States: analysis of the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database, 1973–1998. J Hand Surg Am 2003, 28:511–518. CrossRef
- Liu CY, Yen CC, Chen WM, Chen TH, Chen PC, Wu HT, Shiau CY, Wu YC, Liu CL, Tzeng CH: Soft tissue sarcoma of extremities: the prognostic significance of adequate surgical margins in primary operation and reoperation after recurrence. Ann Surg Oncol 2010, 17:2102–2111. CrossRef
- Lahat G, Tuvin D, Wei C, Anaya DA, Bekele BN, Lazar AJ, Pisters PW, Lev D, Pollock RE: New perspectives for staging and prognosis in soft tissue sarcoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2008, 15:2739–2748. CrossRef
- Billingsley KG, Lewis JJ, Leung DH, Casper ES, Woodruff JM, Brennan MF: Multifactorial analysis of the survival of patients with distant metastasis arising from primary extremity sarcoma. Cancer 1999, 85:389–395. CrossRef
- Trojani M, Contesso G, Coindre JM, Rouesse J, Bui NB, de Mascarel A, Goussot JF, David M, Bonichon F, Lagarde C: Soft-tissue sarcomas of adults; study of pathological prognostic variables and definition of a histopathological grading system. Int J Cancer 1984, 33:37–42. CrossRef
- Mariani L, Miceli R, Kattan MW, Brennan MF, Colecchia M, Fiore M, Casali PG, Gronchi A: Validation and adaptation of a nomogram for predicting the survival of patients with extremity soft tissue sarcoma using a three-grade system. Cancer 2005, 103:402–408. CrossRef
- Stojadinovic A, Leung DH, Hoos A, Jaques DP, Lewis JJ, Brennan MF: Analysis of the prognostic significance of microscopic margins in 2,084 localized primary adult soft tissue sarcomas. Ann Surg 2002, 235:424–434. CrossRef
- Gronchi A, Casali PG, Mariani L, Miceli R, Fiore M, Lo Vullo S, Bertulli R, Collini P, Lozza L, Olmi P, Rosai J: Status of surgical margins and prognosis in adult soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities: a series of patients treated at a single institution. J Clin Oncol 2005, 23:96–104. CrossRef
- Stojadinovic A, Leung DH, Allen P, Lewis JJ, Jaques DP, Brennan MF: Primary adult soft tissue sarcoma: time-dependent influence of prognostic variables. J Clin Oncol 2002, 20:4344–4352. CrossRef
- Stoeckle E, Gardet H, Coindre JM, Kantor G, Bonichon F, Milbeo Y, Thomas L, Avril A, Bui BN: Prospective evaluation of quality of surgery in soft tissue sarcoma. Eur J Surg Oncol 2006, 32:1242–1248. CrossRef
- Lehnhardt M, Hirche C, Daigeler A, Goertz O, Ring A, Hirsch T, Drucke D, Hauser J, Steinau HU: Soft tissue sarcoma of the upper extremities. Analysis of factors relevant for prognosis in 160 patients. Chirurg 2012, 83:143–152. CrossRef
- Peiper M, Zurakowski D, Knoefel WT, Izbicki JR: Malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the extremities and trunk: an institutional review. Surgery 2004, 135:59–66. CrossRef
- Biau DJ, Ferguson PC, Turcotte RE, Chung P, Isler MH, Riad S, Griffin AM, Catton CN, O'Sullivan B, Wunder JS: Adverse effect of older age on the recurrence of soft tissue sarcoma of the extremities and trunk. J Clin Oncol 2011, 29:4029–4035. CrossRef
- Lahat G, Dhuka AR, Lahat S, Lazar AJ, Lewis VO, Lin PP, Feig B, Cormier JN, Hunt KK, Pisters PW, Pollock RE, Lev D: Complete soft tissue sarcoma resection is a viable treatment option for select elderly patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2009, 16:2579–2586. CrossRef
- Al-Refaie WB, Habermann EB, Dudeja V, Vickers SM, Tuttle TM, Jensen EH, Virnig BA: Extremity soft tissue sarcoma care in the elderly: insights into the generalizability of NCI Cancer Trials. Ann Surg Oncol 2010, 17:1732–1738. CrossRef
- Trovik CS, Bauer HC, Alvegard TA, Anderson H, Blomqvist C, Berlin O, Gustafson P, Saeter G, Walloe A: Surgical margins, local recurrence and metastasis in soft tissue sarcomas: 559 surgically-treated patients from the Scandinavian Sarcoma Group Register. Eur J Cancer 2000, 36:710–716. CrossRef
- Salo JC, Lewis JJ, Woodruff JM, Leung DH, Brennan MF: Malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the extremity. Cancer 1999, 85:1765–1772. CrossRef
- Atalar H, Basarir K, Yildiz Y, Saglik Y: Prognostic factors in patients with malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the extremities. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2007, 41:271–276.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network guideline for soft tissue sarcoma V.1.2010 Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/sarcoma.pdf
- Schreiber D, Rineer J, Katsoulakis E, Sroufe RL, Lange CS, Nwokedi E, Schwartz D, Choi K, Rotman M: Impact of postoperative radiation on survival for high-grade soft tissue sarcoma of the extremities after limb sparing radical resection. Am J Clin Oncol 35:13–17.
- Grimer R, Judson I, Peake D, Seddon B: Guidelines for the Management of Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Sarcoma 2010., 506182: Epub 2010 May 31
- Managing soft tissue sarcomas in a developing country: are prognostic factors similar to those of developed world?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
World Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Soft tissue sarcoma
- Developing country
- Local recurrence
- Prognostic factors
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Department of Surgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, Room 106, Male hostel, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan
- 1. Orthopaedic Surgery Department, Aga Khan University Hospital, Faculty Offices opposite Community Health Centre, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan
- 2. Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty Offices opposite Community Health Centre, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan
- 3. Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty Offices opposite Community Health Centre, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan