Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells reduce systemic inflammation and attenuate LPS-induced acute lung injury in rats
Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) possess potent immunomodulatory properties and simultaneously lack the ability to illicit immune responses. Hence, MSCs have emerged as a promising candidate for cellular therapeutics for inflammatory diseases. Within the context of this study, we investigated whether human umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cells (UC-MSCs) could ameliorate lipopolysaccharide- (LPS-) induced acute lung injury (ALI) in a rat model.
ALI was induced via injection of LPS. Rats were divided into three groups: (1) saline group(control), (2) LPS group, and (3) MSC + LPS group. The rats were sacrificed at 6, 24, and 48 hours after injection. Serum, bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF), and lungs were collected for cytokine concentration measurements, assessment of lung injury, and histology.
UC-MSCs increased survival rate and suppressed LPS-induced increase of serum concentrations of pro-inflammatory mediators TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6 without decreasing the level of anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10. The MSC + LPS group exhibited significant improvements in lung inflammation, injury, edema, lung wet/dry ratio, protein concentration, and neutrophil counts in the BALF, as well as improved myeloperoxidase (MPO) activity in the lung tissue. Furthermore, UC-MSCs decreased malondialdehyde (MDA) production and increased Heme Oxygenase-1 (HO-1) protein production and activity in the lung tissue.
UC-MSCs noticeably increased the survival rate of rats suffering from LPS-induced lung injury and significantly reduced systemic and pulmonary inflammation. Promoting anti-inflammatory homeostasis and reducing oxidative stress might be the therapeutic basis of UC-MSCs.
- Wang HM, Bodenstein M, Markstaller K: Overview of the pathology of three widely used animal models of acute lung injury. Eur Surg Res 2008, 40:305-316. CrossRef
- Weil BR, Markel TA, Herrmann JL, Abarbanell AM, Kelly ML, Meldrum DR: Stem cells in sepsis. Ann Surg 2009, 250:19-27. CrossRef
- Nauta AJ, Fibbe WE: Immunomodulatory properties of mesenchymal stromal cells. Blood 2007, 110:3499-3506. CrossRef
- Weiss DJ, Sueblinvong V: Cell therapy approaches for lung diseases:current status. Curr Opin Phamacol 2009, 9:268-273. CrossRef
- Gupta N, Su X, Popov B, Lee JW, Serikov V, Matthay MA: Intrapulmonary delivery of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stemcells improves survival and attenuates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in mice. J Immunol 2007, 179:1855-1863.
- Xu J, Woods CR, Mora AL, Joodi R, Brigham KL, Iyer S, Rojas M: Prevention of endotoxin-induced systemic response by bonemarrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2007, 293:L131-L141. CrossRef
- Xu J, Qu J, Cao L, Sai Y, Chen C, He L, Yu L: Mesenchymal stem cell-based angiopoietin-1 gene therapy for acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide in mice. J Pathol 2008, 214:472-481. CrossRef
- Rojas M, Xu J, Woods CR, Mora AL, Spears W, Roman J, Brigham KL: Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in repair of the injured lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2005, 33:145-152. CrossRef
- Lu LL, Liu YJ, Yang SG, Zhao QJ, Wang X, Gong W, Han ZB, Xu ZS, Lu YX, Liu D, Chen ZZ, Han ZC: Isolation and characterization of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells with hematopoiesis-supportive function and other potentials. Haematologica 2006, 91:1017-1026.
- Fong CY, Gauthaman K, Cheyyatraivendran S, Lin HD, Biswas A, Bongso A: Human umbilical cord Wharton’s jelly stem cells and its conditioned medium support hematopoietic stem cell expansion ex vivo. J Cell Biochem 2012, 113:658-668. CrossRef
- Jin SW, Zhang L, Lian QQ, Liu D, Wu P, Yao SL, Ye DY: Posttreatment with aspirin-Triggered lipoxin A4 analog attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in mice: The role of heme oxygenase-1. Critical Care and Trauma 2007, 104:369-377.
- Kurutas EB, Cetinkaya A, Bulbuloglu E, Kantarceken B: Effects of antioxidant therapy on leukocyte myeloperoxidase and Cu/Zn-superoxide dismutase and plasma malondialdehyde levels in experimental colitis. Mediators Inflamm 2005, 6:390-394. CrossRef
- Pang QF, Zhou QM, Zeng S, Dou LD, Ji Y, Zeng YM: Protective effect of heme oxygenase-1 on lung injury induced by erythrocyte instillation in rats. Chin Med J 2008, 121:1688-1692.
- Ge ZJ, Jiang GJ, Zhao YP, Wang GX, Yong FT: Systemic perfluorohexane attenuates lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide in rats: the role of heme oxygenase-1. Pharmacological Report 2010, 62:170-177.
- Stolzing A, Jones E, McGonagle D, Scutt A: Age-related changes in human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells: consequences for cell therapies. Mech Ageing Dev 2008, 129:163-173. CrossRef
- Suzdaltseva YG, Burunova VV, Vakhrushev IV, Cheglakov IB, Yarygin KN: In vitro comparison of immunological properties of cultured human mesenchymal cells from various sources. Bull Exp Biol Med 2008, 145:228-231. CrossRef
- Weiss ML, Anderson C, Medicetty S, Seshareddy KB, Weiss RJ, VanderWerff I, Troyer D, McIntosh KR: Immune properties of human umbilical cord wharton’s jelly-derived cells. Stem Cells 2008, 26:2865-2874. CrossRef
- Secco M, Zucconi E, Vieira NM, Fogaca LL, Cerqueira A, Carvalho MD, Jazedje T, Okamoto OK, Muotri AR, Zatz M: Multipotent stem cells from umbilical cord: Cord is richer than blood! Stem Cells 2008, 26:146-150. CrossRef
- Baksh D, Yao R, Tuan RS: Comparison of proliferative and multilineage differentiation potential of human mesenchymal stem cells derived from umbilical cord and bone marrow. Stem Cells 2007, 25:1384-1392. CrossRef
- Sun L, Wang D, Liang J, Zhang H, Feng X, Wang H, Hua B, Liu B, Ye S, Hu X, Xu W, Zeng X, Hou Y, Gilkeson GS, Silver RM, Lu L, Shi S: Umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in severe and refractory systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2010, 62:2467-2475. CrossRef
- Liang L, Dong C, Chen X, Fang Z, Xu J, Liu M, Zhang X, Gu DS, Wang D, Du W, Zhu D, Han ZC: Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate mice trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (TNBS)-induced colitis. Cell Transplant 2011, 20:1395-1408. CrossRef
- Moodley Y, Atienza D, Manuelpillai U, Samuel CS, Tchongue J, IIancheran S, Boyd R, Trounson A: Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells reduce fibrosis of bleomicin-induced lung injury. Am J Pathol 2009, 175:303-313. CrossRef
- Liu YY MUR, Wang S, Long L, Liu X, Sun J, Guo JJ, Zhang XP, Guo J, Yu P, Li CL, Liu XY, Huang ZY, Wang DP, Li H, GU ZF, Liu B, Li ZG: Therapeutic potential of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther 2010, 12:R210. CrossRef
- Abraham E: Neutrophils and acute lung injury. Crit Care Med 2003, 31:S195-S199. CrossRef
- Tsushima K, King LS, Aggarwal NR, Gorordo AD, D’Alessio FR, Kubo K: Acute lung injury review. Inter Med 2009, 48:621-630. CrossRef
- Rojas M, Woods CR, Mora AL, Xu J, Brigham KL: Endotoxin-induced lung injury in mice: structural, functional, and biochemical responses. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2005, 288:L333-L341. CrossRef
- Iyer SS, Co C, Rojas M: mesenchymal stem cells and inflammatory lung diseases. Panminerva Med 2009, 51:5-16.
- Bhatia M, Moochhala S: Role of inflammation mediators in the pathophysiology of acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Pathol 2004, 202:145-156. CrossRef
- Nemeth K, Leelahavanichkul A, Yuen PS, Yuen PST, Mayer B, Parmelee A, Doi K, Robey PG, Leelahavanichkul K, Koller BH, Brown JB, Hu X, Jelinek I, Star RA, Mezey E: Bone marrow stromal cells attenuate sepsis via prostaglandin E2-dependent reprogramming of host macrophages to increase their interleukin-10production. Nat Med 2009, 15:42-49. CrossRef
- Grommes J, Soehnlein O: Contribution of neutrophils to acute lung injury. Mol Med 2011, 17:293-307. CrossRef
- Haegens A, Heeringa P, van Suylen RJ, Aratani Y, O’Donoghue RJ, Mutsaers SE, Mossman BT, Wouters EF, Vernooy JH: Myeloperoxidase deficiency attenuates lipopolysaccharide -induced acute lung inflammation and subsequent cytokine and chemokine production. J Immunol 2009, 182:7990-7996. CrossRef
- Yagi H, Soto-Gutierrez A, Kitagawa Y, Tilles AW, Tompkins RG, Yarmush ML: Bone mesenchymal stromal cells attenuate ogan injury induced by LPS and burn. Cell Transpant 2010, 19:823-830. CrossRef
- Pati S, Khakoo AY, Zhao J, Jimenez F, Gerber MH, Harting M, Redell JB, Grill R, Matsuo Y, Guha S, Cox CS, Reits MS, Holcomb JB, Dash PK: Human mesenchymal stem cells inhibit vascular permeability by modulating vascular endothelial cadherin/β-catenin signaling. Stem Cells Dev 2010, 20:1-13.
- Chignard M, Balloy V: Neutrophil recruitment and increased permeability during acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2000, 279:L1083-L1090.
- Iyer SS, Jones DP, Brigham M: Oxidation of plasma cysteine/cystine redox state in endotoxin-induced lung injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2009, 40:90-98. CrossRef
- Laurent T, Markert M, Feihl F, Schaller MD, Perret C: Oxidant-antioxidant balance in granulocytes during ARDS.Effect of N-acetylcysteine. Chest 1996, 109:163-166. CrossRef
- Metnitz PG, Barents C, Fischer M, Fridrich P, Steltzer H, Druml W: Antioxidant status in patient with acute respiratory syndrome. Intensive Care Med 1999, 25:180-185. CrossRef
- Tahara M, Nakayama M, Jin MB, Fujita M, Suzuki T, Taniguchi M, Shimamura T, Furukawa H, Todo S: A radical scavenger, edaravone, protects canine kidneys from ischemia-reperfusion Injury after 72 hours of cold preservation and autotransplantation. Transplantation 2005, 80:213-221. CrossRef
- Fredenburgh LE, Perrella MA, Mitsialis SA: The role of heme oxygenase-1 in pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2007, 36:158-165. CrossRef
- Iyer SS, Torres-Gonzalez E, Neujahr DC, Kwon M, Brigham KL, Jones DP, Mora AL, Rojas M: Effect of Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells on Endotoxin-Induced Oxidation of Plasma Cysteine and Glutathione in Mice. Stem Cells International 2010, 2010:868076. CrossRef
- Sun CK, Yen CH, Lin YC, Tsai TH, Chang LT, Kao YH, Chua S, Fu M, Ko SF, Leu S, Yip HK: Autologous Transplantation of Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Markedly Reduced Acute Ischemia-Reperfusion Lung Injury in a Rodent Model. J Transl Med 2011, 9:118. CrossRef
- Kotton DN, Fabian AJ, Mulligan RC: Failure of bone marrow to reconstitute lung epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2005, 33:328-334. CrossRef
- Lee JW, Fang X, Krasnodembskaya A, Howard JP, Matthay MA: Mesenchymal stem cells for acute lung injury: role of paracrine soluble factors. Stem Cells 2011, 29:913-919. CrossRef
- Sun J, Han ZB, Liao WB, Yang SG, Yang ZX, Yu JX, Meng L, Wu R, Han ZC: Intrapulmonary delivery of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells attenuates acute lung injury by expanding CD4 + CD25+ Forkhead Boxp3 (FOXP3) + regulatory T cells and balancing anti and pro-inflammatory factors. Cell Physiol Biochem 2011, 27:587-596. CrossRef
- Deuse T, Stubbendorff M, Tang-Quan K, Phillips N, Kay MA, Eiermann T, Phan TT, Volk HD, Reichenspurner H, Robbins RC, Schrepfer S: Immunogenicity and immunomodulatory properties of umbilical cord lining mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Transplant 2011, 20:655-667. CrossRef
- Nakamizo A, Marini F, Amano T, Khan A, Studeny M, Gumin J, Chen J, Hentschel S, Vecil G, Dembinski J, Andreeff M, Lang FF: Human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of gliomas. Cancer Res 2005, 65:3-307.
- Xiong N, Cao X, Zhang Z, Huang J, Chen C, Zhang Z, Jia M, Xiong J, Liang Z, Sun S, Lin Z, Wang T: Long-term efficacy and safety of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells in rotenone-induced hemiparkinsonian rats. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2010, 16:1519-1529. CrossRef
- Chen MY, Lie PC, Li ZL, Wei X: Endothelial differentiation of Wharton’s jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells in comparison with bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Exp Hematol 2009, 37:629-640. CrossRef
- Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells reduce systemic inflammation and attenuate LPS-induced acute lung injury in rats
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Inflammation
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Acute lung injury
- Umbilical cord
- Mesenchymal stem cells
- Heme oxygenase-1
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anesthesiology, Shandong University, Shandong, PR China
- 2. Cryomedicine Laboratory, Shandong University, Shandong, PR China
- 3. Department of Stomatology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Ji’nan, Shandong, 250012, PR China