Acoustic system for the estimation of the temporary blood chamber volume of the POLVAD heart supporting prosthesis
The paper presents a newly researched acoustic system for blood volume measurements for the developed family of Polish ventricular assist devices. The pneumatic heart-supporting devices are still the preferred solution in some cases, and monitoring of their operation, especially the temporary blood volume, is yet to be solved.
The prototype of the POLVAD-EXT prosthesis developed by the Foundation of Cardiac Surgery Development, Zabrze, Poland, is equipped with the newly researched acoustic blood volume measurement system based on the principle of Helmholtz’s acoustic resonance. The results of static volume measurements acquired using the acoustic sensor were verified by measuring the volume of the liquid filling the prosthesis. Dynamic measurements were conducted on the hybrid model of the human cardiovascular system at the Foundation, with the Transonic T410 (11PLX transducer - 5% uncertainty) ultrasound flow rate sensor, used as the reference.
The statistical analysis of a series of static tests have proved that the sensor solution provides blood volume measurement results with uncertainties (understood as a standard mean deviation) of less than 10%. Dynamic tests show a high correlation between the results of the acoustic system and those obtained by flow rate measurements using an ultrasound transit time type sensor.
The results show that noninvasive, online temporary blood volume measurements in the POLVAD-EXT prosthesis, making use of the newly developed acoustic system, provides accurate static and dynamic measurements results. Conducted research provides the preliminary view on the possibility of reducing the additional sensor chamber volume in future.
- Gardiwal A, Roentgen P, Luesebrink U, Koenig T, Klein G, Oswald H: Left ventricular assist improves autonomic imbalance in patients with persistent myocardial dysfunction. Int J Artif Organs 2010,33(12):851–855. doi:10.5301/IJAO.2010.6189.
- Conradi L, Schirmer J, Reiter B, Treede H, Kubik M, Reichenspurner HC, Wagner FM: First successful use of the new ab5000 portable circulatory support console as bridge to recovery in a case of dilated cardiomyopathy. Int J Artif Organs 2010,33(11):824–827.
- Moreno GE, Charroqui A, Pilán ML, Magliola RH, Krynski MP, Althabe M, Landry LM, Sciuccati G, Villa A, Vogelfang H: Clinical Experience With Berlin Heart Excor in Pediatric Patients in Argentina: 1373 days of Cardiac Support. Pediatr Cardiol 2011,32(5):652–658. CrossRef
- Konieczny G, Opilski Z, Pustelny T: The novel approach to the estimation of the blood volume in POLVAD. Inf Technol Biomed 2012, 7339:304–309. CrossRef
- Gawlikowski M, Pustelny T, Kustosz R: Non invasive blood volume measurement in pneumatic ventricular assist device POLVAD. Mol Quantum Acoust 2006, 27:97–106.
- Komorowski D, Pietraszek S, Darlak M: Pressure and Output Flow Estimation of Pneumatically Controlled Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) with the help of Both Acceleration and Gyro Sensors. World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering 2006, IFMBE Proceedings 2007,14(Part 7):719–722. CrossRef
- Komorowski D, Gawlikowski M: Preliminary Investigations Regarding the Blood Volume Estimation in Pneumatically Controlled Ventricular Assist Device by Pattern Recognition. Computer Recognition Systems 2, Advances in. Soft Computing 2007, 45:558–565. CrossRef
- Konieczny G, Opilski Z, Pustelny T, Gacek A, Gibinski P, Kustosz R: Results of Experiments with Fiber Pressure Sensor Applied in the Polish Artificial Heart Prosthesis. Acta Physica Polonica A 2010,118(No6):1183–1185.
- Konieczny G, Opilski Z, Pustelny T: Preliminary research concerning measurements of the POLVAD blood chamber volume based on Helmholtz’s acoustic resonator principle. Acta Physica Polonica A 2011,120(No 6):688–692.
- Opilski Z, Konieczny G, Pustelny T, Gacek A, Kustosz R: Noninvasive acoustic blood volume measurement system for the POLVAD prosthesis. Bulletin of Polish Academy of Sciences. Tech Sci 2011,59(Issue 4):429--433.
- Patent: Acoustic device for the measurement of a temporary blood chamber volume and a method of the measurement of a temporary blood volume in the heart support device. Polish Patent Office’s Official Gazette 2012,19(1010):7.
- Schartel SA, Pai SS: Mechanical Hemodynamic Support. In Critical Care Study Guide 2nd edition. Edited by: Criner GJ, Barnette RE, D'Alonzo GE. 2010, 918–949. XXII CrossRef
- Shellock FG, Valencerina S: Ventricular Assist Device implant (AB 5000) prototype cannula: In vitro assessment of MRI issues at 3-Tesla. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2008,10(1):23. CrossRef
- Ravishankar C, Dominguez TE, Rosenthal TM, Gaynor JW: Mechanical Circulatory Support in the Patient with Congenital Heart Disease. Heart Fail Congenit Heart Dis 2010, 123–153. CrossRef
- Małota Z, Kapis A, Kostka P, Nawrat Z: The influence of the inlet Valle size of the ventricular assist devices on basic hemodynamics parameters. The pulsed Doppler ultrasound and fluid–structure interaction study”. The International Journal of Artificial Organs. Abstracts from XXXVII ESAO CONGRESS Skopje- Macedonia 2010, 33/No.7:425–426.
- Eremenko AA, Safarov PN: "Blood Volume Assessment during Fluid Loading by Ultrasound Dilution Method". Intensive Care Med 2007,33(Suppl 2):S258. Abstr 1004
- Slepian MJ, Smith RG, Copeland JG: Baughman and Baumgartner. In The SynCardia CardioWest™ Total Artificial Heart. Taylor and Francis; 2006:473–490. [Treatment of Advanced Heart Disease]
- Reichenbach SH, Farrar DJ, Hill JD: A versatile intracorporeal ventricular assist device based on the Thoratec VAD system. Ann Thorac Surg 2001,71(Issue 3, Supplement 1):S171-S175. CrossRef
- Quimby RS, Selzer PM, Yen WM: Photoacoustic cell design: resonant enhancement and background signals. Appl Opt 1977, 16:2630–2632. CrossRef
- Małota Z, Nawrat Z, Kostka P, Mizerski J, Nowiński K, Waniewski J: Physical and computer modeling of blood flow in a systemic-to-pulmonary shunt. Int J Artif Organs 2004,27(no. 11):990–999.
- Ferrari G, Kozarski M, Gu YJ, De Lazzari C, Di Molfetta A, Palko KJ, Zieliński K, Górczynska K, Darowski M, Rakhorst G: Application of a user-friendly comprehensive circulatory model for estimation of hemodynamic and ventricular variables. Int J Artif Organs 2008,31(12):1043–54. Erratum in: Int J Artif Organs. 2009 Aug;32(8):528
- Shaw WJ, Pantalos GM, Everett S, Olsen DB: Factors influencing the accuracy of the cardiac output monitoring and diagnostic unit for pneumatic artificial hearts. ASAIO Trans 1990,36(3):M264-M268.
- Acoustic system for the estimation of the temporary blood chamber volume of the POLVAD heart supporting prosthesis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BioMedical Engineering OnLine
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Heart Assist Device
- The heart prosthesis
- Blood volume measurements
- The POLVAD