The effects of dietary fasting on physical balance among healthy young women
The study examined the effects of dietary fasting on physical balance among young healthy women.
This study undertaken involving 22 young healthy women (age = 22 ± 1.5) using a within subject counterbalanced 2-week crossover study design. Participants were asked to refrain from consuming any food or beverage for 12 hours prior to the fasting trial and to maintain their regular diet for the non-fasting trial. Measures included: a background questionnaire, 24-hour dietary recall, and functional reach and timed single-limb stances.
Fasting resulted in significant declines in functional reach (p < 0.01), and ability to balance in a single limb stance with eyes open, on both the dominant and non-dominant legs (p < 0.01 and p < 0.01, respectively), and with eyes closed on the dominant leg (p < 0.01).
The findings have implications for athletic performance in younger individuals as well as emphasizing the need for health education for young women to avoid skipping meals.
- Ageberg, E, Roberts, D, Holmstrom, E, Friden, T (2003) Balance in single-limb stance in healthy subjects--reliability of testing procedure and the effect of short-duration sub-maximal cycling. BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Vellas, B, Wayne, S, Romero, L, Baumgartner, R, Garry, P (1997) Fear of falling and restriction of mobility in elderly fallers. Age and Ageing 26: pp. 189-193 CrossRef
- Hall, SJ (2007) Basic Biomechanics. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY
- Winter, DA (2005) Biomechanics and motor control of human movement. Wiley, New York, NY
- Goldie, P, Evans, O, Bach, T (1992) Steadiness in one-legged stance: development of a reliable force-platform testing procedure. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 73: pp. 348-354 CrossRef
- Shumway-Cook, A, Woollacott, MH (2007) Motor control: Translating research to clinical practice. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA
- Vellas, B, Wayne, S, Romero, L, Baumgartner, R, Rubenstein, L, Garry, P (1997) One-leg balance is an important predictor of injurious falls in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 45: pp. 735-738
- Duncan, PW, Weiner, DK, Chandler, J, Studenski, S (1990) Functional reach: a new clinical measure of balance. J Gerontol 45: pp. M192-7
- Berg, K, Maki, B, Williams, J, Holliday, P, Wood-Dauphinee, S (1992) Clinical and laboratory measures of postural balance in an elderly population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 73: pp. 1073-1080
- Means, K, Rodell, D, O'Sullivan, P, Winger, R (1998) Comparison of a functional obstacle course with an index of clinical gait and balance and postural sway. J Gerontol 53A: pp. M331-335
- Thomas, M, Jankovic, J, Suteerawattananon, M, Wankadia, S, Caroline, K, Vuong, K, Protas, E (2004) Clinical gait and balance scale (GABS): validation and utilization. J Neuro Sci 217: pp. 89-99 CrossRef
- Whitney, S, Wrisley, D, Furman, J (2003) Concurrent validity of the Berg Balance Scale and the Dynamic Gait Index in people with vestibular dysfunction. Physiother Res Int 8: pp. 178-186 CrossRef
- Balogun, JA, Ajayi, LO, Alawale, F (1997) Determinants of single limb stance balance performance. Afr J Med med Sci 26: pp. 153-157
- Ekdahl, C, Jarnlo, GB, Andersson, SI (1989) Standing balance in healthy subjects. Scand J Rehab Med 21: pp. 187-195
- Bohannon, R, Larkin, P, Cook, A (1984) Decrease in timed balance test scores with aging. Phys Ther 64: pp. 1067-1070
- Suponitsky, Y, Verbitsky, O, Peled, E, Mizrahi, J (2008) Effect of selective fatiguing of the shank muscles on single-leg-standing sway. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18: pp. 682-9 CrossRef
- Ainslie, P, Campbell, I, Frayn, K, Humphreys, S, MacLaren, D, Reilly, T (2003) Physiological metabolic and performance implications of a prolonged hill walk: influence of energy intake. J Appl Physiol 94: pp. 1075-1083
- Dohm, G, Beeker, R, Israel, R, Tapscott, E (1986) Metabolic responses to exercise after fasting. J Appl Physiol 61: pp. 1363-1368
- Gleeson, M, Greenhaff, P, Maughan, R (1988) Influence of a 24 h fast on high intensity cycle exercise performance in man. Eur J Appl Physiol 57: pp. 653-659 CrossRef
- Knapik, J, Jones, B, Meredith, C, Evans, W (1987) Influence of a 3-5 day fast on physical performance. Eur J Appl Physiol 56: pp. 428-432 CrossRef
- Groff, J, Gropper, S (2000) Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism. Wadsworth Thomson Learning, United States
- Halberg, N, Henriksen, M, Soderhamn, N, Stallknecht, B, Ploug, T, Schierling, P, Dela, F (2005) Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. J Appl Physiol 99: pp. 2128-36 CrossRef
- Varady, KA, Hellerstein, MK (2007) Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials. Am J Clin Nutr 86: pp. 7-13
- Steinman, BA, Pynoos, J, Nguyen, AQ (2009) Fall risk in older adults: Roles of self-rated vision, home modification and limb function. J Aging Health 21: pp. 655-676 CrossRef
- A report on seniors' falls in Canada. Minister of Public Works and Government Services, Canada
- Johnson, CS (2003) The association between nutritional risk and falls among frail elderly. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 7: pp. 247-250
- Rampersaud, GC, Pereira, MA, Girard, BL, Adams, J, Metzl, JD (2005) Breakfast habits, nutritional status, body weight, and academic performance in children and adolescents. Am Diet Assoc 105: pp. 743-60 CrossRef
- Gibson, S (2005) Principles of Nutrition Assessment. Oxford University Press. New York, New York
- Balogun, JA, Adesinasi, CO, Marzouk, DK (1992) The effects of a wobble board exercise training program on static balance performance and strength of lower extremity muscles. Physio Can 44: pp. 23-30
- Statistical Package for Social Sciences [Computer Software] Chicago IL: SPSS Inc; 2003.
- Food Processor SQL [Computer Software] Esha Research: Salem OR; 2004.
- Ganz, DA, Bao, Y, Shekelle, PG, Rubenstien, LZ (2007) Will my patient fall?. Journal of American Medical Association 297: pp. 77-86 CrossRef
- The effects of dietary fasting on physical balance among healthy young women
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- April 2010
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies, University of Regina, 3737 Wascana Parkway, S4S 0A2, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- 2. Formerly, School of Nutrition & Dietetics, Acadia University, 12 University Avenue, B4P 2R6, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada