Malaria in Croatia: from eradication until today
- Mulić Rosanda
- … show all 1 hide
According to the World Health Organization, in Croatia malaria was officially eradicated in 1964. Since then a certain number of cases of imported malaria is registered every year, but this has seen a declining trend throughout the years.
Materials and methods
A retrospective study about the incidence of imported malaria in Croatia in the period from 1987 to 2011 based on the official data of the Croatian National Institute of Public Health.
Thus at the beginning of the observed period there were 12 cases of imported malaria per year, whilst in the last five years that number dropped to a yearly average of 6. Between 1987 and 2011, Croatia recorded a total of 233 cases of imported malaria. The disease still most commonly affects seafarers and workers temporarily employed in malaria endemic countries. During 2011, of the 7 cases of imported malaria in Croatia, only 1 was a seafarer. It is very likely that the number of imported malaria cases is somewhat higher in seafarers ...
- Mulić R, Aljinović L, Gizdić Ž, Petri NM: Malaria in Republic of Croatia: Past, Present and Future. Lijecn Vjesn 2006, 122:51–5.
- Perić D, Škrobonja I, Škrobonja A: Malaria in Croatia in the period between 1987 to 2006.
- Croatian Health Service Yearbook: Croatian National Institute for Public Health 2011:191. Contagious diseases in Croatia. 2010.
- Odolini S, Gautret P, Parola P: Epidemiology of Imported Malaria int he Mediterranean Region. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis 2012,4(1):e2012031. Epub 2012 May 7. Available at: http://www.mjhid.org/article/viev/10157. Access date: 2012–08–31 CrossRef
- Malaria in Croatia: from eradication until today
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- November 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Mulić Rosanda (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Medicine, Department of Public Health, University of Split, Kragujevac, Croatia