Direct measurements of IPTG enable analysis of the induction behavior of E. coli in high cell density cultures
The E. coli lac operon and its components have been studied for decades, and lac-derived systems are widely used for recombinant protein production. However, lac operon dynamics and induction behavior remain the paradigm of gene regulation. Recently, an HPLC-MS-based method to quantify IPTG in the medium and inside the biomass has been established, and this tool may be useful to uncover the lack of knowledge and allow optimization of biotechnological processes.
The results obtained from the study of IPTG distribution profiles in fed-batch, high cell density cultures allowed discrimination between two different depletion patterns of an inducer from the medium to the biomass in E. coli-expressing rhamnulose-1-phosphate aldolase (RhuA). Moreover, we could demonstrate that active transport mediates the uptake of this gratuitous inducer. Additionally, we could study the induction behaviors of this expression system by taking into account the biomass concentration at the induction time.
In the bistable range, partial induction occurred, which led to intermediate levels of RhuA activity. There was a direct relationship between the initial inducer concentrations and the initial inducer transport rate together with the specific activity. A majority of the inducer remains in the medium to reach equilibrium with the intracellular level. The intracellular inducer accumulation was a further evidence of bistability of the lac operon.
- Beckwith J: Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. The lactose operon, Volume 2. Edited by Neidhardt FC American Society for Microbiology. 1987:1444–1452.
- Lee SY: High cell-density culture ofEscherichia coli. Trends Biotechnol 1996, 14:98–105. CrossRef
- Vilar JMG, Guet CC, Leibler S: Modeling network dynamics: thelacoperon, a case study. J Cell Biol 2003, 161:471–476. CrossRef
- Shiloach J, Kaufman J, Guillard a S, Fass R: Effect of glucose supply strategy on acetate accumulation, growth, and recombinant protein production by Escherichia coli BL21 (lambdaDE3) and Escherichia coli JM109. Biotechnol Bioeng 1996, 49:421–428. CrossRef
- Sandén AM, Boström M, Markland K, Larsson G: Solubility and proteolysis of the Zb-MalE and Zb-MalE31 proteins during overproduction in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioeng 2005, 90:239–247. CrossRef
- Ishikawa M, Koizumi S: Microbial production of N-acetylneuraminic acid by genetically engineered Escherichia coli. Carbohyd Res 2010, 345:2605–2609. CrossRef
- Volontè F, Piubelli L, Pollegioni L: Optimizing HIV-1 protease production in Escherichia colias fusion protein. Microb Cell Fact 2011, 10:53. CrossRef
- Novick A, Weiner M: Enzyme induction as an all-or-none phenomenon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1957, 43:553–566. CrossRef
- Cohn M, Horibata K: Inhibition by glucose of the induced synthesis of the beta-galactoside-enzyme system of Escherichia coli. Analysis of maintenance. J Bacteriol 1959, 78:601–612.
- Herzenberg L: Studies on the induction of beta-galactosidase in a cryptic strain of Escheriachia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta 1959, 31:525–538. CrossRef
- Abeles RH, Frey PA, Jencks WP: Biochemistry. Jones and Bartlett, Boston; 1992:838.
- Donovan RS, Robinson CW, Glick BR: Review: optimizing inducer and culture conditions for expression of foreign proteins under the control of thelac promoter. J Ind Microbiol 1996, 16:145–154. CrossRef
- de Vos WM: Systems solutions by lactic acid bacteria: from paradigms to practice. Microb Cell Fact 2011,10(Suppl 1):S2. CrossRef
- Ozbudak EM, Thattai M, Lim HN, Shraiman BI, Van Oudenaarden A: Multistability in the lactose utilization network of Escherichia coli. Nature 2004, 427:737–740. CrossRef
- Laurent M, Charvin G, Guespin-Michel J: Bistability and hysteresis in epigenetic regulation of the lactose operon. Since Delbrück, a long series of ignored models. Cell Mol Biol 2005, 51:583.
- Marbach A, Bettenbrock K: lacoperon induction in Escherichia coli: Systematic comparison of IPTG and TMG induction and influence of the transacetylase LacA. J Biotechnol 2012, 157:82–88. CrossRef
- Dunaway M, Olson JS, Rosenberg JM, Kallai OB, Dickerson RE, Matthews KS: Kinetic studies of inducer binding to lac repressor·operator complex. J Biol Chem 1980, 255:10115–10119.
- O’Gorman RB, Rosenberg JM, Kallai OB, Dickerson RE, Itakura K, Riggs a D, Matthews KS: Equilibrium binding of inducer to lac repressor.operator DNA complex. J Biol Chem 1980, 255:10107–10114.
- Lewis M: The lac repressor. CR Biol 2005, 328:521–548. CrossRef
- Kao-Huang Y, Butler a P, O’Conner P, Noble DW, von Hippel PH: Nonspecific DNA binding of genome-regulating proteins as a biological control mechanism: measurement of DNA-bound Escherichia colilac repressor in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1977, 74:4228–4232. CrossRef
- Oehler S, Alberti S, Müller-Hill B: Induction of the lac promoter in the absence of DNA loops and the stoichiometry of induction. Nucleic Acids Res 2006, 34:606–612. CrossRef
- Delvigne F, Boxus M, Ingels S, Thonart P: Bioreactor mixing efficiency modulates the activity of a prpoS::GFP reporter gene in E. coli. Microb Cell Fact 2009, 8:15. CrossRef
- Noel JT, Pilyugin SS, Narang A: The diffusive influx and carrier efflux have a strong effect on the bistability of the lac operon in Escherichia coli. J Theor Biol 2009, 256:14–28. CrossRef
- Fernández A, Ruiz J, Caminal G, López-Santín J: Development and validation of a liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry assay for the quantitation of IPTG in E. coli fed-batch cultures. Anal Chem 2010, 82:5728–5734. CrossRef
- Fernández-Castané A, Vine CE, Caminal G, López-Santín J: Evidencing the role of lactose permease in IPTG uptake by Escherichia coli in fed-batch high cell density cultures. J Biotechnol 2012, 157:391–398. CrossRef
- Pinsach J: Development of recombinant aldolase production process in Escherichia coli. PhD thesis. 2009. 170 pages
- Müller J, Barker A, Oehler S, Müller-Hill B: Dimeric lac repressors exhibit phase-dependent co-operativity. J Mol Biol 1998, 284:851–857. CrossRef
- Kaback HR, Sahin-Tóth M, Weinglass a B: The kamikaze approach to membrane transport. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2001, 2:610–620. CrossRef
- Andersson L, Yang S, Neubauer P: Impact of plasmid presence and induction on cellular responses in fed batch cultures of Escherichia coli. J Biotechnol 1996, 46:255–263. CrossRef
- Ruiz J, González G, de Mas C, López-Santín J: A semiempirical model to control the production of a recombinant aldolase in high cell density cultures of Escherichia coli. Biochem Eng J 2011, 55:82–91. CrossRef
- Narang A: Effect of DNA looping on the induction kinetics of the lac operon. J Theor Biol 2007, 247:695–712. CrossRef
- Ruiz J, Pinsach J, Álvaro G, González G, de Mas C, Resina D, López-Santín J: Alternative production process strategies in E. coli improving protein quality and downstream yields. Process Biochem 2009, 44:1039–1045. CrossRef
- Vidal L, López-Santin J, Caminal G, Ferrer P: Development of an antibiotic-free plasmid selection system based on glycine auxotrophy for recombinant protein overproduction in Escherichia coli. [Poster presentation]. Microb Cell Fact 2006, 5:P85. CrossRef
- Pinsach J, De Mas C, Lopez-Santin J: A simple feedback control ofEscherichia coligrowth for recombinant aldolase production in fed-batch mode. Biochem Eng J 2006, 29:235–242. CrossRef
- Vidal L, Ferrer P, Alvaro G, Benaiges MD, Caminal G: Influence of induction and operation mode on recombinant rhamnulose 1-phosphate aldolase production by Escherichia coliusing the T5 promoter. J Biotechnol 2005, 118:75–87. CrossRef
- Vidal L, Pinsach J, Striedner G, Caminal G, Ferrer P: Development of an antibiotic-free plasmid selection system based on glycine auxotrophy for recombinant protein overproduction in Escherichia coli. J Biotechnol 2008, 134:127–136. CrossRef
- Bennett BD, Yuan J, Kimball EH, Rabinowitz JD: Absolute quantitation of intracellular metabolite concentrations by an isotope ratio-based approach. Nat Protoc 2008, 3:1299–1311. CrossRef
- Direct measurements of IPTG enable analysis of the induction behavior of E. coli in high cell density cultures
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Microbial Cell Factories
- Online Date
- May 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- IPTG transport
- Recombinant protein production