Determinants of vascular function in patients with type 2 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is independently associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular diseases that is primarily due to the early development of advanced atherosclerotic vascular changes. The aim of our study was to investigate the predictors of vascular dysfunction in T2DM patients.
We studied 165 T2DM patients without known macrovascular or microvascular disease. Standard demographic (age, gender, cardiovascular risk factors, medications), clinical (body mass index, blood pressure) and laboratory (glucose, glycated hemoglobin, lipids, renal function) parameters were included in analyses. Brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD), nitrate mediated dilation (NMD) and Carotid-Femoral Pulse Wave Velocity (PWV) were measured.
Median age was 66 years and duration since T2DM diagnosis was 10 years, 70% were females and 79% hypertensives, while only 10% had a glycated hemoglobin <7%. FMD was positively associated with NMD (r 0.391, P < 0.001), while PWV was inversely associated with FMD (r -0.218, P = 0.014) and NMD (r -0.309, P < 0.001). Time since diagnosis of diabetes was the single independent predictor of FMD (β -0.40, P = 0.003). Increased age and fasting glucose and the presence of hypertension were independent predictors of decreased NMD (P < 0.001). Increased age and systolic blood pressure were independently associated with increased PWV (P < 0.001).
In T2DM patients, impairment of endothelium-dependent vasodilation was independently associated only with longer diabetes duration while no association with other established risk factors was found. Vascular smooth muscle dysfunction and increased arterial stiffness were more prominent in older T2DM patients with hypertension. Worse glycemic control was associated with impaired vascular smooth muscle function.
- Engelgau MM, Geiss LS, Saaddine JB, Boyle JP, Benjamin SM, Gregg EW, Tierney EF, Rios-Burrows N, Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Imperatore G, Narayan KM: The evolving diabetes burden in the United States. Ann Intern Med 2004, 140:945–950.
- Scholte AJ, Schuijf JD, Kharagjitsingh AV, Jukema JW, Pundziute G, van der Wall EE, Bax JJ: Prevalence of coronary artery disease and plaque morphology assessed by multi-slice computed tomography coronary angiography and calcium scoring in asymptomatic patients with type 2 diabetes. Heart 2008, 94:290–295. CrossRef
- Blacher J, Guerin AP, Pannier B, Marchais SJ, Safar ME, London GM: Impact of aortic stiffness on survival in end-stage renal disease. Circulation 1999, 99:2434–2439. CrossRef
- Schachinger V, Britten MB, Zeiher AM: Prognostic impact of coronary vasodilator dysfunction on adverse long-term outcome of coronary heart disease. Circulation 2000, 101:1899–1906. CrossRef
- Laurent S, Boutouyrie P, Asmar R, Gautier I, Laloux B, Guize L, Ducimetiere P, Benetos A: Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in hypertensive patients. Hypertension 2001, 37:1236–1241. CrossRef
- Boutouyrie P, Tropeano AI, Asmar R, Gautier I, Benetos A, Lacolley P, Laurent S: Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of primary coronary events in hypertensive patients: a longitudinal study. Hypertension 2002, 39:10–15. CrossRef
- Cruickshank K, Riste L, Anderson SG, Wright JS, Dunn G, Gosling RG: Aortic pulse-wave velocity and its relationship to mortality in diabetes and glucose intolerance: an integrated index of vascular function? Circulation 2002, 106:2085–2090. CrossRef
- Gokce N, Keaney JF Jr, Hunter LM, Watkins MT, Nedeljkovic ZS, Menzoian JO, Vita JA: Predictive value of noninvasively determined endothelial dysfunction for long-term cardiovascular events in patients with peripheral vascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003, 41:1769–1775. CrossRef
- Hatsuda S, Shoji T, Shinohara K, Kimoto E, Mori K, Fukumoto S, Koyama H, Emoto M, Nishizawa Y: Regional arterial stiffness associated with ischemic heart disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Atheroscler Thromb 2006, 13:114–121. CrossRef
- Kullo IJ, Malik AR, Bielak LF, Sheedy PF 2nd, Turner ST, Peyser PA: Brachial artery diameter and vasodilator response to nitroglycerine, but not flow-mediated dilatation, are associated with the presence and quantity of coronary artery calcium in asymptomatic adults. Clin Sci (Lond) 2007, 112:175–182. CrossRef
- McVeigh GE, Brennan GM, Johnston GD, McDermott BJ, McGrath LT, Henry WR, Andrews JW, Hayes JR: Impaired endothelium-dependent and independent vasodilation in patients with type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 1992, 35:771–776.
- Goodfellow J, Ramsey MW, Luddington LA, Jones CJ, Coates PA, Dunstan F, Lewis MJ, Owens DR, Henderson AH: Endothelium and inelastic arteries: an early marker of vascular dysfunction in non-insulin dependent diabetes. BMJ 1996, 312:744–745. CrossRef
- Watts GF, O’Brien SF, Silvester W, Millar JA: Impaired endothelium-dependent and independent dilatation of forearm resistance arteries in men with diet-treated non-insulin-dependent diabetes: role of dyslipidaemia. Clin Sci (Lond) 1996, 91:567–573.
- van de Ree MA, Huisman MV, de Man FH, van der Vijver JC, Meinders AE, Blauw GJ: Impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation in type 2 diabetes mellitus and the lack of effect of simvastatin. Cardiovasc Res 2001, 52:299–305. CrossRef
- Tan KC, Chow WS, Ai VH, Metz C, Bucala R, Lam KS: Advanced glycation end products and endothelial dysfunction in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2002, 25:1055–1059. CrossRef
- Henry RM, Ferreira I, Kostense PJ, Dekker JM, Nijpels G, Heine RJ, Kamp O, Bouter LM, Stehouwer CD: Type 2 diabetes is associated with impaired endothelium-dependent, flow-mediated dilation, but impaired glucose metabolism is not; the Hoorn Study. Atherosclerosis 2004, 174:49–56. CrossRef
- de Jager J, Dekker JM, Kooy A, Kostense PJ, Nijpels G, Heine RJ, Bouter LM, Stehouwer CD: Endothelial dysfunction and low-grade inflammation explain much of the excess cardiovascular mortality in individuals with type 2 diabetes: the Hoorn Study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2006, 26:1086–1093. CrossRef
- Su Y, Liu XM, Sun YM, Wang YY, Luan Y, Wu Y: Endothelial dysfunction in impaired fasting glycemia, impaired glucose tolerance, and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol 2008, 102:497–498. CrossRef
- Liye H, Lvyun Z, Guangyao S, Luping R: Investigation of early change of endothelial function and related factors in individuals with hyperglycemia. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011, 92:194–197. CrossRef
- Lukich E, Matas Z, Boaz M, Shargorodsky M: Increasing derangement of glucose homeostasis is associated with increased arterial stiffness in patients with diabetes, impaired fasting glucose and normal controls. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2010, 26:365–370. CrossRef
- Vyssoulis G, Pietri P, Vlachopoulos C, Alexopoulos N, Kyvelou SM, Terentes-Printzios D, Stefanadis C: Early adverse effect of abnormal glucose metabolism on arterial stiffness in drug naive hypertensive patients. Diab Vasc Dis Res 2011, 9:18–24. CrossRef
- Zhang M, Bai Y, Ye P, Luo L, Xiao W, Wu H, Liu D: Type 2 diabetes is associated with increased pulse wave velocity measured at different sites of the arterial system but not augmentation index in a Chinese population. Clin Cardiol 2011, 34:622–627. CrossRef
- Tsuchiya K, Nakayama C, Iwashima F, Sakai H, Izumiyama H, Doi M, Hirata Y: Advanced endothelial dysfunction in diabetic patients with multiple risk factors; importance of insulin resistance. J Atheroscler Thromb 2007, 14:303–309. CrossRef
- Nathan DM, Buse JB, Davidson MB, Heine RJ, Holman RR, Sherwin R, Zinman B: Management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy. A consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetologia 2006, 49:1711–1721. CrossRef
- Levey AS, Stevens LA, Schmid CH, Zhang YL, Castro AF 3rd, Feldman HI, Kusek JW, Eggers P, Van Lente F, Greene T, Coresh J: A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med 2009, 150:604–612.
- Papathanassiou K, Naka KK, Kazakos N, Kanioglou C, Makriyiannis D, Pappas K, Katsouras CS, Liveris K, Kolettis T, Tsatsoulis A, Michalis LK: Pioglitazone vs glimepiride: differential effects on vascular endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes. Atherosclerosis 2009, 205:221–226. CrossRef
- Corretti MC, Anderson TJ, Benjamin EJ, Celermajer D, Charbonneau F, Creager MA, Deanfield J, Drexler H, Gerhard-Herman M, Herrington D, Vallance P, Vita J, Vogel R: Guidelines for the ultrasound assessment of endothelial-dependent flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the International Brachial Artery Reactivity Task Force. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002, 39:257–265. CrossRef
- Vlahos AP, Theocharis P, Bechlioulis A, Naka KK, Vakalis K, Papamichael ND, Alfantaki S, Gartzonika K, Mavridis A, Michalis LK, Siamopoulou A: Changes in vascular function and structure in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011, 63:1736–1744. CrossRef
- Yokoyama H, Sone H, Saito K, Yamada D, Honjo J, Haneda M: Flow-mediated dilation is associated with microalbuminuria independent of cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes - interrelations with arterial thickness and stiffness. J Atheroscler Thromb 2011, 18:744–752. CrossRef
- Beishuizen ED, Tamsma JT, Jukema JW, van de Ree MA, van der Vijver JC, Meinders AE, Huisman MV: The effect of statin therapy on endothelial function in type 2 diabetes without manifest cardiovascular disease. Diabetes Care 2005, 28:1668–1674. CrossRef
- Tan KC, Ai VH, Chow WS, Chau MT, Leong L, Lam KS: Influence of low density lipoprotein (LDL) subfraction profile and LDL oxidation on endothelium-dependent and independent vasodilation in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999, 84:3212–3216. CrossRef
- Wannamethee SG, Shaper AG, Whincup PH, Lennon L, Sattar N: Impact of diabetes on cardiovascular disease risk and all-cause mortality in older men: influence of age at onset, diabetes duration, and established and novel risk factors. Arch Intern Med 2011, 171:404–410. CrossRef
- Bagg W, Whalley GA, Gamble G, Drury PL, Sharpe N, Braatvedt GD: Effects of improved glycaemic control on endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes. Intern Med J 2001, 31:322–328. CrossRef
- Barone Gibbs B, Dobrosielski DA, Bonekamp S, Stewart KJ, Clark JM: A randomized trial of exercise for blood pressure reduction in type 2 diabetes: effect on flow-mediated dilation and circulating biomarkers of endothelial function. Atherosclerosis 2012.
- Schalkwijk CG, Stehouwer CD: Vascular complications in diabetes mellitus: the role of endothelial dysfunction. Clin Sci (Lond) 2005, 109:143–159. CrossRef
- Jax TW: Metabolic memory: a vascular perspective. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2010, 9:51. CrossRef
- Williams SB, Cusco JA, Roddy MA, Johnstone MT, Creager MA: Impaired nitric oxide-mediated vasodilation in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996, 27:567–574. CrossRef
- Adams MR, Robinson J, McCredie R, Seale JP, Sorensen KE, Deanfield JE, Celermajer DS: Smooth muscle dysfunction occurs independently of impaired endothelium-dependent dilation in adults at risk of atherosclerosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998, 32:123–127. CrossRef
- Zhang X, Zhao SP, Li XP, Gao M, Zhou QC: Endothelium-dependent and -independent functions are impaired in patients with coronary heart disease. Atherosclerosis 2000, 149:19–24. CrossRef
- Bjarnegard N, Arnqvist HJ, Lindstrom T, Jonasson L, Jonsson A, Lanne T: Long-term hyperglycaemia impairs vascular smooth muscle cell function in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diab Vasc Dis Res 2009, 6:25–31. CrossRef
- Shin JY, Lee HR, Lee DC: Increased arterial stiffness in healthy subjects with high-normal glucose levels and in subjects with pre-diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2011, 10:30. CrossRef
- Collaboration RVfAS: Determinants of pulse wave velocity in healthy people and in the presence of cardiovascular risk factors: ‘establishing normal and reference values’. Eur Heart J 2010, 31:2338–2350. CrossRef
- Chen Y, Huang Y, Li X, Xu M, Bi Y, Zhang Y, Gu W, Ning G: Association of arterial stiffness with HbA1c in 1,000 type 2 diabetic patients with or without hypertension. Endocrine 2009, 36:262–267. CrossRef
- Yue WS, Lau KK, Siu CW, Wang M, Yan GH, Yiu KH, Tse HF: Impact of glycemic control on circulating endothelial progenitor cells and arterial stiffness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2011, 10:113. CrossRef
- Yasmin , McEniery CM, Wallace S, Mackenzie IS, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB: C-reactive protein is associated with arterial stiffness in apparently healthy individuals. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004, 24:969–974. CrossRef
- Gomez-Marcos MA, Recio-Rodriguez JI, Patino-Alonso MC, Agudo-Conde C, Gomez-Sanchez L, Rodriguez-Sanchez E, Gomez-Sanchez M, Martinez-Vizcaino V, Garcia-Ortiz L: Relationships between high-sensitive C-reactive protein and markers of arterial stiffness in hypertensive patients. Differences by sex. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2012, 12:37. CrossRef
- Anan F, Masaki T, Umeno Y, Iwao T, Yonemochi H, Eshima N, Saikawa T, Yoshimatsu H: Correlations of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and atherosclerosis in Japanese type 2 diabetic patients. Eur J Endocrinol 2007, 157:311–317. CrossRef
- Gomez-Marcos MA, Recio-Rodriguez JI, Patino-Alonso MC, Agudo-Conde C, Gomez-Sanchez L, Rodriguez-Sanchez E, Gomez-Sanchez M, Garcia-Ortiz L: Yearly evolution of organ damage markers in diabetes or metabolic syndrome: data from the LOD-DIABETES study. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2011, 10:90. CrossRef
- Johansen NB, Charles M, Vistisen D, Rasmussen SS, Wiinberg N, Borch-Johnsen K, Lauritzen T, Sandbaek A, Witte DR: Effect of intensive multifactorial treatment compared with routine care on aortic stiffness and central blood pressure among individuals with screen-detected type 2 diabetes: the ADDITION-Denmark study. Diabetes Care 2012.
- Determinants of vascular function in patients with type 2 diabetes
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Pulse wave velocity
- Flow-mediated dilation
- Nitrate-mediated dilation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Michaelidion Cardiac Center, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
- 2. Department of Cardiology, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
- 3. Department of Endocrinology, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
- 4. Department of Endocrinology, Hatzikosta General Hospital, Ioannina, Greece
- 5. Department of Cardiology and Michaelidion Cardiac Centre, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece