Development of an integrated Sasang constitution diagnosis method using face, body shape, voice, and questionnaire information
Sasang constitutional medicine (SCM) is a unique form of traditional Korean medicine that divides human beings into four constitutional types (Tae-Yang: TY, Tae-Eum: TE, So-Yang: SY, and So-Eum: SE), which differ in inherited characteristics, such as external appearance, personality traits, susceptibility to particular diseases, drug responses, and equilibrium among internal organ functions. According to SCM, herbs that belong to a certain constitution cannot be used in patients with other constitutions; otherwise, this practice may result in no effect or in an adverse effect. Thus, the diagnosis of SC type is the most crucial step in SCM practice. The diagnosis, however, tends to be subjective due to a lack of quantitative standards for SC diagnosis.
We have attempted to make the diagnosis method as objective as possible by basing it on an analysis of quantitative data from various Oriental medical clinics. Four individual diagnostic models were developed with multinomial logistic regression based on face, body shape, voice, and questionnaire responses. Inspired by SCM practitioners’ holistic diagnostic processes, an integrated diagnostic model was then proposed by combining the four individual models.
The diagnostic accuracies in the test set, after the four individual models had been integrated into a single model, improved to 64.0% and 55.2% in the male and female patient groups, respectively. Using a cut-off value for the integrated SC score, such as 1.6, the accuracies increased by 14.7% in male patients and by 4.6% in female patients, which showed that a higher integrated SC score corresponded to a higher diagnostic accuracy.
This study represents the first trial of integrating the objectification of SC diagnosis based on quantitative data and SCM practitioners’ holistic diagnostic processes. Although the diagnostic accuracy was not great, it is noted that the proposed diagnostic model represents common rules among practitioners who have various points of view. Our results are expected to contribute as a desirable research guide for objective diagnosis in traditional medicine, as well as to contribute to the precise diagnosis of SC types in an objective manner in clinical practice.
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM1_ESM.docx (20KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM2_ESM.docx (1068KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM3_ESM.docx (21KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM4_ESM.docx (17KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM5_ESM.docx (17KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM6_ESM.docx (17KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM7_ESM.docx (135KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM8_ESM.docx (50KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM9_ESM.docx (18KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM10_ESM.docx (20KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM11_ESM.docx (17KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM12_ESM.docx (19KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM13_ESM.docx (21KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM14_ESM.docx (17KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM15_ESM.docx (26KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM16_ESM.docx (29KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM17_ESM.docx (25KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM18_ESM.docx (25KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM19_ESM.docx (28KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM20_ESM.docx (29KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM21_ESM.docx (25KB)
- blah 12906_2012_1131_MOESM22_ESM.docx (25KB)
- Song IB: An Introduction to Sasang Constitutional Medicine. Seoul: Jimoondang; 2005.
- Kim JY, Pham DD, Koh BH: Comparison of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011, 2011:239659.
- Kim JY, Pham DD: Sasang Constitutional Medicine as a Holistic Tailored Medicine. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2009,6(Suppl 1):11–19. CrossRef
- Eisenberg DM, Davis RB, Ettner SL, Appel S, Wilkey S, Rompay MV, Kessler RC: Trends in Alternative Medicine Use in the United States, 1990–1997: results of a follow-up national survey. JAMA 1998,280(18):1569–1575. CrossRef
- MacLennan AH, Wilson DH, Taylor A: Prevalence and Cost of Alternative Medicine in Australia. Lancet 1996,347(9001):569–573. CrossRef
- Ernst E: The Role of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. BMJ 2000, 321:1133–1135. CrossRef
- O'Brien KA, Abbas E, Zhang J, Guo ZX, Luo R, Bensoussan A, Komesaroff PA: Understanding the Reliability of Diagnostic Variables in a Chinese Medicine Examination. J Altern Complement Med 2009,15(7):727–734. CrossRef
- Choi SM, Lee SH, Yoon YS, Kim JY: The Study of Data factors for SCIB(Sasang Constitution Information Bank). J Sasang Constitut Med 2005,17(1):45–55.
- Lee EJ, Sohn EH, Yoo JH, Kim JW, Kim KK, Kho BH, Song IB: The Study of Sasangin’s Face. J Sasang Constitut Med 2005,17(3):55–68.
- Koo I, Kim JY, Kim MG, Kim KH: Feature Selection from a Facial Image for Distinction of Sasang Constitution. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2009,6(Suppl 1):65–71. CrossRef
- Seok JH, Song JH, Kim HJ, Yoo JH, Kwak CK, Lee JH, Kho BH, Kim JW, Lee EJ: An Hardware Error Analysis of 3D Automatic Face Recognition Apparatus (3DAFRA): surface reconstruction. J Sasang Constitut Med 2007,19(2):30–39.
- Yun JH, Lee SK, Lee EJ, Koh BH, Song IB: Morphological Standardization Research of Head and Face on the 50’s and 60’s in Korean according to Sasang Constitution. J Sasang Constitut Med 2000,12(2):123–131.
- Pham DD, Do JH, Ku B, Lee HJ, Kim H, Kim JY: Body Mass Index and Facial Cues in Sasang Typology for Young and Elderly Persons. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011, 2011:749209. CrossRef
- Huh MH, Song JM, Kim DL, Koh BH: A Study on the Morphological Diagramming of Four Constitutions. J Sasang Constitut Med 1992,4(1):107–148.
- Huh MH, Koh BH, Song IB: The Body Measuring Method to Classify Sasang Constitutions. J Sasang Constitut Med 2002,14(1):51–66.
- Kim JW, Yeo HR, Kim KK, Jeon SH, Lee MH, Lee YT: Study on the Characteristics of Body Shapes Classified by Sasang Constitution According to Age Groups. Kor J Orient Physiol Pathol 2007,21(1):258–262.
- Kim JW, Jeon SH, Sul YK, Kim KK, Lee EJ: A Study on the Body Shape Classified by Sasang Constitutions and Gender using Physical Measurements. J Sasang Constitut Med 2006,18(1):54–61.
- Shin M, Kim D: A Study on the Correlation between Sound Characteristics and Sasang Constitution by CSL. J Sasang Constitut Med 1999,11(1):137–157.
- Yang S, Kim D: A Study on the Correlation between Sound Spectrogram and Sasang Constitution. J Sasang Constitut Med 1996,8(2):191–202.
- Kim D, Park S, Gun G: An Objective Study of Sasang Constitution Diagnosis by Sound Analysis. J Sasang Constitut Med 1998,10(1):65–80.
- Kim DJ, Jung WK, Choi JW, Kim DR, Jeon JW: A Study on the Characteristics of the Adult Men Sound as by Sasang Constitution Analyzed with PSSC-2004. J Sasang Constitut Med 2005,17(1):67–83.
- Kim SH, Han DY, Youn JY, Kim DR, Jeon JW: A Study on the Characteristics of Korea Adult Women Sound as by Sasang Constitution Analysed with PSSC-2004. J Sasang Constitut Med 2005,17(1):84–102.
- Koh BH, Song IB: A study on the Method of Sasang Constitution Classification. J of Korean Oriental Medicine 1985, 8:146–150.
- Kim SH, Kho BH, Song IB: A Validation Study of Questionnaire of Sasang Constitution Classification (QSCC). J Sasang Constitut Med 1993,5(1):61–80.
- Yoo JH, Kim JW, Kim KK, Kim JY, Koh BH, Lee EJ: Sasangin Diagnosis Questionnaire: Test of Reliability. J Altern Complement Med 2007,13(1):111–122. CrossRef
- Song KH, Yu SG, Cha S, Kim JY: Association of the apolipoprotein A5 gene – 1131T > C polymorphism with serum lipids in Korean subjects: Impact of Sasang constitution. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012, 2012:598394.
- Development of Diagnostic and Herbal Drug System based on Traditional Constitutional Korean Medicine. Korea: Institute of Oriental Medicine; 2007.
- Hidden Markov Model Toolkit http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk
- Praat: doing phonetics by computer http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/
- Weka http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/
- Jang ES, Kim MG, Baek YW, Kim YJ, Kim JY: Influence of Cold and Heat Characteristics and Health State in Sasang Constitution Diagnosis. J Sasang Constitut Med 2009,21(3):76–88.
- Brys G, Hubert M, Rousseeuw PJ: A Robustification of Independent Component Analysis. J Chemometrics 2005, 19:364–375. CrossRef
- Hubert M, Vandervieren E: An Adjusted Boxplot for Skewed Distribution. Comput Stat Data Anal 2008,52(12):5186–5201. CrossRef
- Chatterjee S, Hadi AS: Regression analysis by example. Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons; 2006. CrossRef
- Agresti A: Categorical Data Analysis. Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons; 2002. CrossRef
- Stepwise Variable Selection http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/spssstat/v20r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.spss.statistics.help%2Falg_nomreg_stepwise.htm
- Park H, Ju J, Kim J, Kim K: A Study on clinical application of the QSCCII (Questionnaire for the Sasang Constitution Classification II). J Sasang Constitut Med 2002,14(2):35–44.
- Jang ES, Kim HS, Yoo JH, Kim SH, Baek YH, Lee SW: The Verification of Concordance Coefficient in Sasang Constitutional Factors by Expert. J Sasang Constitut Med 2009,21(2):79–86.
- Hahm TI, Hwang MW, Lee TG, Kim SB, Lee SK, Koh BH: A study on the Concordance Rate of the Diagnostic Results among Sasang Constitutional Medicine(SCM) Specialists. J Sasang Constitut Med 2006,18(3):124–130.
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/12/85/prepub
- Development of an integrated Sasang constitution diagnosis method using face, body shape, voice, and questionnaire information
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Online Date
- July 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Sasang constitution
- Body shape
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Constitutional Medicine & Diagnosis Research Group, Medical Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 1672 Yuseongdae-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-811, Republic of Korea
- 2. Department of Information and Statistic, Chungnam National University, 79 Daehang-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-764, Republic of Korea