Huangqi decoction inhibits apoptosis and fibrosis, but promotes Kupffer cell activation in dimethylnitrosamine-induced rat liver fibrosis
Previously, Huangqi decoction (HQD) has been found to have a potential therapeutic effect on DMN-induced liver cirrhosis. Here, the mechanisms of HQD action against liver fibrosis were investigated in relation to hepatocyte apoptosis and hepatic inflammation regulation.
Liver fibrosis was induced by DMN administration for 2 or 4 weeks. Hepatocyte apoptosis and of Kupffer cells (KC) and hepatic stellate cells (HSC) interaction were investigated using confocal microscopy. The principle cytokines, fibrogenic proteins and apoptotic factors were investigated using western blot analysis.
Compared with the DMN-water group, HQD showed decreased hepatocyte apoptosis and reduced expression of apoptotic effectors, cleaved-caspase-3, and fibrotic factors, such as smooth muscle α-actin (α-SMA), transforming growth factor beta-1 (TGF-β1). However, the KC marker CD68 increased significantly in DMN-HQD liver. Confocal microscopy demonstrated widespread adhesion of KCs to HSCs in DMN-water and DMN-HQD rats liver.
HQD exhibited positive protective effects against liver fibrosis; its mechanism of action was associated with protection from hepatocyte apoptosis and the promotion of CD68 expression in the devolopment of liver fibrosis to cirrhosis development.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Hernandez-Gea V, Friedman SL: Pathogenesis of liver fibrosis. Annu Rev Pathol 2011, 28:425–456. CrossRef
- Friedman SL: Hepatic fibrosis-overview. Toxicology 2008, 254:120–129. CrossRef
- Friedman SL, Rockey DC, Bissell DM: Hepatic fibrosis 2006: report of the third AASLD single topic conference. Hepatology 2007, 45:242–249. CrossRef
- Greets A: Sho-Saiko-To: The Right Blend of Traditional Oriental Medicine and Liver Cell Biology. Hepatology 1999, 29:282–284. CrossRef
- Klein S, Mittendorfer B, Eagon JC, Patterson B, Grant L, Feirt N, Seki E, Brenner D, Korenblat K, McCrea J: Gastric bypass surgery improves metabolic and hepatic abnormalities associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2006, 130:1564–1572. CrossRef
- Galli A, Crabb DW, Ceni E, Salzano R, Mello T, Svegliati-Baroni G, Ridolfi F, Trozzi L, Surrenti C, Casini A: Antidiabetic thiazolidinediones inhibit collagen synthesis and hepatic stellate cell activation in vivo and in vitro. Gastroenterology 2002, 122:1924–1940. CrossRef
- Minics SD, Seki E, Uchinami H, Kluwe J, Zhang Y, Brenner DA, Schwabe RF: Gene expression profiles during hepatic stellate cell activation in culture and in vivo. Gastroenterology 2007, 132:1937–1946. CrossRef
- Duffield JS, Forbes SJ, Constandinou CM, Clay S, Partolina M, Vuthoori S, Wu S, Lang R, Iredale JP: Selective depletion of macrophages reveals distinct, opposing roles during liver injury and repair. J Clin Invest 2005, 115:56–65.
- Friedman SL: Mac the knife? Macrophages-the double-edged sword of hepatic fibrosis. J Clin Invest 2005, 115:29–32.
- Liu C, Tao Q, Sun M, Wu JZ, Yang W, Jian P, Peng J, Hu Y, Liu C, Liu P: Kupffer cells are associated with apoptosis, inflammation and fibrotic effects in hepatic fibrosis in rats. Lab Invest 2010, 90:1805–1816. CrossRef
- Wang QL, Yuan JL, Tao YY, Zhang Y, Liu P, Liu CH: Fuzheng Huayu recipe and vitamin E reverse renal interstitial fibrosis through counteracting TGF-beta1-induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition. J Ethnopharmacol 2010, 27:631–640. CrossRef
- Liu C, Hu Y, Xu L, Liu C, Liu P: Effect of Fuzheng Huayu formula and its actions against liver fibrosis. Chin Med 2009, 29:12. CrossRef
- Wang L, Liu P, Mu Y, Long A, Du G: Study on TCM Recipe and Syndrome of dimethylnitrosamine-induced hepatic fibrosis in rats. J Tradi Chin Med 2006, 47:929–932.
- Liu C, Sun MY, Wang L, Wang G, Chen G, Liu C, Liu P: Effects of Yinchenhao Tang and related decoctions on DMN-induced cirrhosis/fibrosis in rats. Chin Med 2008, 3:1. CrossRef
- Ala-Kokko L, Pihlajaniemi T, Myers JC, Kivirikko KI, Savolainen ER: Gene expression of type I, III and IV collagens in hepatic fibrosis induced by dimethylnitrosamine in the rat. Biochem J 1987, 244:75–79.
- Scheuer PJ: Classification of chronic viral hepatitis: a need for reassessment. J Hepatol 1991, 13:372–374. CrossRef
- Jamall IS, Finelli VN, Que Hee SS: A simple method to determine nanogram levels of 4-hydroyproline in biological tissues. Anal Biochem 1981, 112:70–75. CrossRef
- Prichard DJ, Butler WH: Apoptosis-a mechanism of cell death in DMN induced hepatotoxicity. J Pathol 1989, 158:253–260. CrossRef
- Horn TL, Bhattacharjee A, Schook LB, Rutherford MS: Altered hepatic mRNA expression of apoptotic genes during dimethylnitrosamine exposure. Toxicol Sci 2000, 57:240–249. CrossRef
- Buechler C, Ritter M, Orsó E, Langmann T, Kluchen J, Schmitz G: Regulation of scavenger receptor CD163 expression in human monocytes and macrophages by pro- and anti-inflammatory stimuli. J Leukoc Biol 2000, 67:97–103.
- Nakamuta M, Ohta S, Tada S, Tsuruta S, Sugimoto R, Kotoh K, Kato M, Nakashima Y, Enjoji M, Nawata H: Dimethyl sulfoxide inhibits dimethylnitrosamine-induced hepatic fibrosis in rats. Int J Mol Med 2001, 8:553–560.
- Jezequel AM, Mancini R, Rinaldesi ML, Macarri G, Venturini C, Orlandi F: A morphological study of the early stage of hepatic fibrosis induced by low dose of DMN in the rats. J Hepatol 1987, 5:174–181. CrossRef
- Asano Y, Iimuro Y, Son G, Hirano T, Fujimoto J: Hepatocyte growth factor promotes remodeling of murine liver fibrosis, accelerating recruitment of bone marrow-derived cells into the liver. Hepatol Res 2007, 37:1080–1094. CrossRef
- Xia JL, Dai C, Michalopoulos GK, Liu Y: Hepatocyte growth factor attenuates liver fibrosis induced by bile duct ligation. Am J Pathol 2006, 168:1500–1512. CrossRef
- Kiyama S, Yamada T, Iwata H, Sekino T, Matsuo H, Yoshida N, Miyahara T, Umeda Y, Matsuno Y, Kimura M, Matsumoto K, Nakamura T, Takemura H: Reduction of fibrosis in a rat model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis cirrhosis by human HGF gene transfection using electroporation. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008, 23:471–476. CrossRef
- Umeda Y, Marui T, Matsuno Y, Shirahashi K, Iwata H, Takagi H, Matsumoto K, Nakamura T, Kosugi A, Mori Y, Takemura H: Skeletal muscle targeting in vivo electroporation-mediated HGF gene therapy of bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice. Lab Invest 2004, 84:836–844. CrossRef
- Bataller R, Brenner DA: Liver fibrosis. J Clin Invest 2005, 115:209–218.
- Reeves HL, Burt AD, Wood S, Day CP: Hepatic stellate cell activation occurs in the absence of hepatitis in alcoholic liver disease and correlates with the severity of steatosis. J Hepatol 1996, 25:677–683. CrossRef
- Stenback F, Ala-Kokko L, Ryhanen L: Morphological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural changes in dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver injury. Effect of malotilate. Histol Histopathol 1989, 4:95–104.
- Topoll HH, Zwadlo G, Lange DE, Sorg C: Phenotypic dynamics of macrophage subpopulations during experimental gingivitis. J Periodontal Res 1989, 24:106–112. CrossRef
- Ide M, Kuwamura M, Kotani T, Sawamoto O, Yamate J: Effects of gadolinium chloride (GdCl3) on the appearance of macrophage populations and fibrogenesis in thioacetamide-induced rat hepatic lesions. J Comp Pathol 2005, 133:92–102. CrossRef
- Friedman SL, Arthur MJ: Activation of cultured rat hepatic lipocytes by Kupffer cell conditioned medium. Direct enhancement of matrix synthesis and stimulation of cell proliferation via induction of platelet-derived growth factor receptors. J Clin Invest 1989, 84:1780–1785. CrossRef
- Natalia N: Oxidative-stress and IL-6 mediate the fibrogenic effects of rodent Kupffer cells on stellate cells. Hepatology 2006, 44:1487–1501. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/12/51/prepub
About this Article
- Huangqi decoction inhibits apoptosis and fibrosis, but promotes Kupffer cell activation in dimethylnitrosamine-induced rat liver fibrosis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Online Date
- April 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Liver Diseases, Shuguang Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai, 201203, China
- 2. Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai Public Clinical Health Center, Shanghai, 201508, China
- 3. Department of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Shanghai, 200438, China
- 4. Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1200 Cailun Road, Shanghai, 201203, China