High glycemic load diet, milk and ice cream consumption are related to acne vulgaris in Malaysian young adults: a case control study
The role of dietary factors in the pathophysiology of acne vulgaris is highly controversial. Hence, the aim of this study was to determine the association between dietary factors and acne vulgaris among Malaysian young adults.
A case–control study was conducted among 44 acne vulgaris patients and 44 controls aged 18 to 30 years from October 2010 to January 2011. Comprehensive acne severity scale (CASS) was used to determine acne severity. A questionnaire comprising items enquiring into the respondent’s family history and dietary patterns was distributed. Subjects were asked to record their food intake on two weekdays and one day on a weekend in a three day food diary. Anthropometric measurements including body weight, height and body fat percentage were taken. Acne severity was assessed by a dermatologist.
Cases had a significantly higher dietary glycemic load (175 ± 35) compared to controls (122 ± 28) (p < 0.001). The frequency of milk (p < 0.01) and ice-cream (p < 0.01) consumptions was significantly higher in cases compared to controls. Females in the case group had a higher daily energy intake compared to their counterparts in the control group, 1812 ± 331 and 1590 ± 148 kcal respectively (p < 0.05). No significant difference was found in other nutrient intakes, Body Mass Index, and body fat percentage between case and control groups (p > 0.05).
Glycemic load diet and frequencies of milk and ice cream intake were positively associated with acne vulgaris.
- Shaw L, Kennedy C: The treatment of acne. Paediatr Child Health 2007,17(10):385–389. CrossRef
- Hanisah A, Khairani O, Shamsul AS: Prevalence of acne and its impact on the quality of life in school-aged adolescents in Malaysia. J Primary Health Care 2009,1(1):20–25.
- Robinson HM: The acne problem. South Med J 1949, 42:1050–1060. CrossRef
- Fulton JE, Plewig G, Kligman AM: Effect of chocolate on acne vulgaris. JAMA 1969,210(11):2071–2074. CrossRef
- Treloar V: Diet and acne redux. Arch Dermatol 2003, 139:941–943. CrossRef
- Calder PC: Dietary modification of inflammation with lipids. Proc Nutr Soc 2002,61(3):345–358. CrossRef
- Anderson PC: Foods as the cause of acne. Am Fam Physician 1971,3(3):102.
- Adebamowo CA, Spiegelman D, Danby FW, Frazier AL, Willett WC, Holmes MD: High school dietary dairy intake and teenage acne. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005,52(2):207–214. CrossRef
- Adebamowo CA, Spiegelman D, Berkey CS, Danby W, Rockett HH, Colditz GA, Willet WC, Homes MD: Milk consumption and acne in adolescent girls. Dermatol Online J 2006,12(4):1.
- Adebamowo CA, Spiegelman D, Berkey CS, Danby W, Rockett HH, Colditz GA, Willet WC, Homes MD: Milk consumption and acne in teenaged boys. J Am Acad Dermatol 2008,58(5):787–793. CrossRef
- Kaymak Y, Adisen E, Ilter N, Bideci A, Gurler D, Celik B: Dietary glycemic index and glucose, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3, and leptin levels in patients with acne. J Am Acad Dermatol 2007,57(5):819–823. CrossRef
- Smith RN, Mann NJ, Braue A, Makelainen H, Varigos GA: A low-glycemic-load diet improves symptoms in acne vulgaris patients: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2007,86(1):107–115.
- Smith R, Varigos G, Braue A, Mann NJ: The effect of a low glycemic load diet on acne vulgaris and the fatty acid composition of skin surface triglycerides. J Dermatol Sci 2008,50(1):41–52. CrossRef
- Lehr R: Sixteen s squared over d squared: a relation for crude sample size estimates. Stat Med 1992, 11:1099–1102. CrossRef
- Tan JK, Tang J, Fung K, Gupta AK, Thomas DR, Sapra S, Lynde C, Poulin Y, Gulliver W, Sebaldt RJ: Development and validation of a comprehensive acne severity scale. J Cutan Med Surg 2007,11(6):211–216.
- WHO: Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004, 363:157–163. CrossRef
- Kalkwarf HJ, Khoury JC, Lanphear BP: Milk intake during childhood and adolescence, adult bone density, and osteoporotic fractures in US women. Am J Clin Nutr 2003,77(1):257–265.
- Foster-Powell K, Holt SHA, Brand-Miller JC: International Table of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values. Am J Clin Nutr 2002, 76:5–56.
- Atkinson FS, Foster-Powell K, Brand-Miller JC: International Table of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values: 2008. Diabetes Care 2008, 31:2281–2283. CrossRef
- Nik Shanita S, Nik Mazlan M: Chapter 4 Carbohydrates. In Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia. National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition (NCCFN). A report of the Technical Working Group on Nutritional Guidelines. Edited by: Mohd Ismail N, Khor GL, Tee ES. Putrajaya: Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2005:42–51.
- Tee ES, Mohd Ismail N, Mohd Nasir A, Khatijah I: Nutrient composition of Malaysian foods. Kuala Lumpur: Inst. Medical Res; 1997.
- United State Department for Agriculture. http:///www.ars.usda.gov.
- Cordain L, Lindeberg S, Hurtado M, Hill K, Eaton SB, Brand-Miller J: Acne vulgaris: a disease of Western civilization. Arch Dermatol 2002,138(12):1584–1590. CrossRef
- Smith R, Mann N, Braue A, Makelainen H, Varigos G: The effect of a high-protein, low glycemic–load diet versus a conventional, high glycemic–load diet on biochemical parameters associated with acne vulgaris: A randomized, investigator-masked, controlled trial. J Am Acad Dermatol 2007,57(2):247–256. CrossRef
- Rouhani P, Berman B, Rouhani G: Acne improves with a popular, low glycemic diet from South Beach. J Am Acad Dermatol 2009,60(suppl):706.
- Cordain L: Implications for the Role of Diet in Acne. Semin Cutan Med Surg 2005,24(2):84–91. CrossRef
- Jung JY, Yoon MY, Min SU, Hong JS, Choi YS, Suh DH: The influence of dietary patterns on acne vulgaris in Koreans. Eur J Dermatol 2010, 20:768–772.
- Hoyt G, Hickey MS, Cordain L: Dissociation of the glycaemic and insulinaemic responses to whole and skimmed milk. Br J Nutr 2005, 93:175–177. CrossRef
- Hoppe C, Mølgaard C, Vaag A, Barkholt V, Michaelsen KF: High intakes of milk, but not meat, increase s-insulin and insulin resistance in 8-year- old boys. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005, 59:393–398. CrossRef
- Rich-Edwards JW, Ganmaa D, Pollak MN, Nakamoto EK, Kleinman K, Tserendolgor U, Willet WC, Frazier AL: Milk consumption and the prepubertal somatotropic axis. Nutr J 2007, 6:28. CrossRef
- Norat T, Dossus L, Rinaldi S, Overvad K, Grønbaek H, Tjønneland A, Olsen A, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Boeing H, Lahmann PH, Linseisen J, Nagel G, Trichopoulou A, Trichopoulos D, Kalapothaki V, Sieri S, Palli D, Panico S, Tumino R, Sacerdote C, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Peeters PHM, van Gils CH, Agudo A, Amiano P, Ardanoz E, Martinez C, Quirós R, Tormo MJ, et al.: Diet, serum insulin-like growth factor-I and IGF-binding protein-3 in European women. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007, 6:91–98. CrossRef
- Crowe FL, Key TJ, Allen NE, Appleby PN, Roddam A, Overvad K, Grønbæk H, Tjønneland A, Halkjær J, Dossus L, Boeing H, Kröger J, Trichopoulou A, Dilis V, Trichopoulos D, Boutron-Ruault MC, De Lauzon B, Clavel-Chapelon F, Palli D, Berrino F, Panico S, Tumino R, Sacerdote C, Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita H, Vrieling A, van Gils CH, Peeters PHM, Gram IT, Skeie G, Lund E, et al.: The association between diet and serum concentrations of IGF-I, IGFBP-1, IGFBP-2, and IGFBP-3 in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Canc Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2009, 18:1333–1340. CrossRef
- Danby FW: Nutrition and acne. Clin Dermatol 2010, 28:598–604. CrossRef
- Danby FW: Acne: Diet and acneigenesis. Indian Dermatol Online J 2011, 2:2–5. CrossRef
- Melnik BC: Evidence for acne-promoting effects of milk and other insulinotropic dairy products. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program 2011, 67:131–145. CrossRef
- Melnik BC, John SM, Schmitz G: Over-stimulation of insulin/IGF-1 signaling by Western diet may promote diseases of civilization: lessons learnt from Laron syndrome. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2011, 8:41. CrossRef
- El-Akawi Z, Abdel-Latif NA, Abdul-Razzak K, Al-Aboosi M: Factors believed by Jordanian acne patients to affect their acne condition. East Mediterr Health J 2006,12(6):840–846.
- Bataille V, Snieder H, MacGregor A, Sasieni P, Spector T: The influence of genetics and environmental factors in the pathogenesis of acne: a twin study of acne in women. J Invest Dermatol 2002,119(6):1317–1322. CrossRef
- Rigopoulos D, Gregoriou S, Ifandi A, Efstathiou G, Georgala S: Coping with acne: beliefs and perceptions in a sample of secondary school Greek pupils. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2007,21(6):806–810. CrossRef
- Hunter N, Shaker O: Diet and body mass index, do they have a role in acne vulgaris? A study using serum leptin and serum lnsulin like growth factor-1. Egypt J Derm Androl 2009,9(2):73–80.
- Cibula D, Hill M, Fanta M, Sindelka G, Zivny J: Does obesity diminish the positive effect of oral contraceptive treatment on hyperandrogenism in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome? Hum Reprod 2001,16(5):940. CrossRef
- Borgia F, Cannavò S, Guarneri F, Cannavò SP, Vaccaro M, Guarneri B: Correlation between endocrinological parameters and acne severity in adult women. Acta Derm Venereol 2004,84(3):201–204. CrossRef
- Kang S, Kim J, Imm J, Oh S, Kim S: The effects of dairy processes and storage on insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) content in milk and in model IGF-I-fortified dairy products. J Dairy Sci 2006,89(2):402–409. CrossRef
- Bowe WP, Logan AC: Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis-back to the future? Gut Pathogens 2011,3(1):1–11. CrossRef
- Kim J, Ko Y, Park YK, Kim NI, Ha WK, Cho Y: Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented milk on skin surface lipid and clinical improvement of acne vulgaris. Nutrition 2010,26(9):902–909. CrossRef
- Grant J, Anderson P: Chocolate as a cause of acne: a dissenting view. Mo Med 1965, 62:459.
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-5945/12/13/prepub
- High glycemic load diet, milk and ice cream consumption are related to acne vulgaris in Malaysian young adults: a case control study
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- August 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Acne vulgaris
- Glycemic index
- Young adults
- Dairy products
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dietetic Program, School of Healthcare Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2. Department of Dermatology, Hospital Kuala Lumpur, 50300, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia