Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of a Bengali version of the modified fibromyalgia impact questionnaire
Currently, no validated instruments are available to measure the health status of Bangladeshi patients with fibromyalgia (FM). The aims of this study were to cross-culturally adapt the modified Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ) into Bengali (B-FIQ) and to test its validity and reliability in Bangladeshi patients with FM.
The FIQ was translated following cross-cultural adaptation guidelines and pretested in 30 female patients with FM. Next, the adapted B-FIQ was physician-administered to 102 consecutive female FM patients together with the Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ), selected subscales of the SF-36, and visual analog scales for current clinical symptoms. A tender point count (TPC) was performed by an experienced rheumatologist. Forty randomly selected patients completed the B-FIQ again after 7 days. Two control groups of 50 healthy people and 50 rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients also completed the B-FIQ.
For the final B-FIQ, five physical function sub-items were replaced with culturally appropriate equivalents. Internal consistency was adequate for both the 11-item physical function subscale (α = 0.73) and the total scale (α = 0.83). With exception of the physical function subscale, expected correlations were generally observed between the B-FIQ items and selected subscales of the SF-36, HAQ, clinical symptoms, and TPC. The B-FIQ was able to discriminate between FM patients and healthy controls and between FM patients and RA patients. Test-retest reliability was adequate for the physical function subscale (r = 0.86) and individual items (r = 0.73-0.86), except anxiety (r = 0.27) and morning tiredness (r = 0.64).
This study supports the reliability and validity of the B-FIQ as a measure of functional disability and health status in Bangladeshi women with FM.
- Wolfe F, Rasker JJ: Fibromyalgia. In Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th edition. Edited by: Firestein GS, Budd RC, Harris ED Jr, McInnes IB, Ruddy S, Sergent JS. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier; 2008:555–570.
- Boonen A, van den Heuvel R, van Tubergen A, Goossens M, Severens JL, van der Heijde D, van der Linden S: Large differences in cost of illness and wellbeing between patients with fibromyalgia, chronic low back pain, or ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis 2005, 64:396–402. CrossRef
- Wolfe F, Anderson J, Harkness D, Bennett RM, Caro XJ, Goldenberg DL, Russell IJ, Yunus MB: A prospective, longitudinal, multicenter study of service utilization and costs in fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum 1997, 40:1560–1570. CrossRef
- Wolfe F, Ross K, Anderson J, Russell IJ, Hebert L: The prevalence and characteristics of fibromyalgia in the general population. Arthritis Rheum 1995, 38:19–28. CrossRef
- White KP, Speechley M, Harth M, Ostbye T: The London Fibromyalgia Epidemiology Study: the prevalence of fibromyalgia syndrome in London, Ontario. J Rheumatol 1999, 26:1570–1576.
- Haq SA, Darmawan J, Islam MN, Uddin MZ, Das BB, Rahman F, Chowdhury MA, Alam MN, Mahmud TA, Chowdhury MR, Tahir M: Prevalence of rheumatic diseases and associated outcomes in rural and urban communities in Bangladesh: a COPCORD study. J Rheumatol 2005, 32:348–353.
- Campbell SM, Clark S, Tindall EA, Forehand ME, Bennett RM: Clinical characteristics of fibrositis. I. A "blinded," controlled study of symptoms and tender points. Arthritis Rheum 1983, 26:817–824. CrossRef
- Fries JF, Spitz P, Kraines RG, Holman HR: Measurement of patient outcome in arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1980, 23:137–145. CrossRef
- Meenan RF, Mason JH, Anderson JJ, Guccione AA, Kazis LE: AIMS2. The content and properties of a revised and expanded arthritis impact measurement scales health status questionnaire. Arthritis Rheum 1992, 35:1–10. CrossRef
- Burckhardt CS, Clark SR, Bennett RM: The fibromyalgia impact questionnaire: development and validation. J Rheumatol 1991, 18:728–733.
- Bennett R: The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ): a review of its development, current version, operating characteristics and uses. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2005, 23:S154–162.
- Bae SC, Lee JH: Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Korean fibromyalgia impact questionnaire in women patients with fibromyalgia for clinical research. Qual Life Res 2004, 13:857–861. CrossRef
- Buskila D, Neumann L: Assessing functional disability and health status of women with fibromyalgia: validation of a Hebrew version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire. J Rheumatol 1996, 23:903–906.
- Hedin PJ, Hamne M, Burckhardt CS, Engstrom-Laurent A: The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire, a Swedish translation of a new tool for evaluation of the fibromyalgia patient. Scand J Rheumatol 1995, 24:69–75. CrossRef
- Offenbaecher M, Waltz M, Schoeps P: Validation of a German version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-G). J Rheumatol 2000, 27:1984–1988.
- Perrot S, Dumont D, Guillemin F, Pouchot J, Coste J: Quality of life in women with fibromyalgia syndrome: validation of the QIF, the French version of the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire. J Rheumatol 2003, 30:1054–1059.
- Rivera J, Gonzalez T: The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire: a validated Spanish version to assess the health status in women with fibromyalgia. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2004, 22:554–560.
- Sarmer S, Ergin S, Yavuzer G: The validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire. Rheumatol Int 2000, 20:9–12. CrossRef
- Sarzi-Puttini P, Atzeni F, Fiorini T, Panni B, Randisi G, Turiel M, Carrabba M: Validation of an Italian version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-I). Clin Exp Rheumatol 2003, 21:459–464.
- Zijlstra TR, Taal E, van de Laar MA, Rasker JJ: Validation of a Dutch translation of the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007, 46:131–134. CrossRef
- Kim YA, Lee SS, Park K: Validation of a Korean version of the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire. J Korean Med Sci 2002, 17:220–224.
- Dunkl PR, Taylor AG, McConnell GG, Alfano AP, Conaway MR: Responsiveness of fibromyalgia clinical trial outcome measures. J Rheumatol 2000, 27:2683–2691.
- Bengali language: Bengali language. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_language
- Beaton DE, Bombardier C, Guillemin F, Ferraz MB: Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures. Spine 2000, 25:3186–3191. CrossRef
- Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, Bennett RM, Bombardier C, Goldenberg DL, Tugwell P, Campbell SM, Abeles M, Clark P, et al.: The American college of rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. report of the multicenter criteria committee. Arthritis Rheum 1990, 33:160–172. CrossRef
- Basak T: Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of a Bengali health assessment questionnaire for use in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Thesis. Dinajpur: Medical College, Department of Medicine; 2005.
- Feroz AH, Islam MN, ten Klooster PM, Hasan M, Rasker JJ, Haq SA: The Bengali SF-36 was acceptable, reliable, and valid in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Epidemiol 2012. In press
- Lohr KN: Assessing health status and quality-of-life instruments: Attributes and review criteria. Qual Life Res 2002, 11:193. CrossRef
- Ware JE: The status of health assessment 1994. Annu Rev Public Health 1995, 16:327–354. CrossRef
- Guillemin F, Bombardier C, Beaton D: Cross-cultural adaptation of health-related quality of life measures: literature review and proposed guidelines. J Clin Epidemiol 1993, 46:1417–1432. CrossRef
- Wagner AK, Gandek B, Aaronson NK, Acquadro C, Alonso J, Apolone G, Bullinger M, Bjorner J, Fukuhara S, Kaasa S, et al.: Cross-cultural comparisons of the content of SF-36 translations across 10 countries: results from the IQOLA Project. International Quality of Life Assessment. J Clin Epidemiol 1998, 51:925–932. CrossRef
- Bennett RM, Friend R, Jones KD, Ward R, Han BK, Ross RL: The revised fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQR): validation and psychometric properties. Arthritis Res Ther 2009, 11:R120. CrossRef
- Mease PJ, Clauw DJ, Christensen R, Crofford LJ, Gendreau RM, Martin SA, Simon LS, Strand V, Williams DA, Arnold LM: Toward development of a fibromyalgia responder index and disease activity score: OMERACT module update. J Rheumatol 2011, 38:1487–1495. CrossRef
- Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Katz RS, Mease P, Russell AS, Russell IJ, Winfield JB, Yunus MB: The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2010, 62:600–610. CrossRef
- Jacobs JW, Rasker JJ, van der Heide A, Boersma JW, de Blecourt AC, Griep EN, van Rijswijk MH, Bijlsma JW: Lack of correlation between the mean tender point score and self-reported pain in fibromyalgia. Arthritis Care Res 1996, 9:105–111. CrossRef
- Callahan LF, Pincus T: A clue from a self-report questionnaire to distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from noninflammatory diffuse musculoskeletal pain. The P-VAS:D-ADL ratio. Arthritis Rheum 1990, 33:1317–1322. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/13/157/prepub
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of a Bengali version of the modified fibromyalgia impact questionnaire
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Online Date
- August 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Rheumatology Wing, Department of Medicine, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib, Medical University, Shahbagh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2. Department of Psychology, Health & Technology, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
- 3. Section of Rheumatology, The University of Illinois College of Medicine, Peoria, IL, USA