Femoral press-fit fixation in ACL reconstruction using bone-patellar tendon-bone autograft: results at 15 years follow-up
If anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction is to be performed, decision regarding graft choice and its fixation remains one of the most controversial. Multiple techniques for ACL reconstruction are available. To avoid disadvantages related to fixation devices, a hardware-free, press-fit ACL reconstruction technique was developed.
The aim of this study was to evaluate clinical outcome and osteoarthritis progression in long term after ACL reconstruction with central third patellar-tendon autograft fixed to femur by press-fit technique.
Fifty two patients met inclusion/excusion criteria for this study. The patients were assessed preoperatively and at 15 years after surgery with International Knee Documentation Committee Knee Ligament Evaluation Form, Lysholm knee score, Tegner activity scale and radiographs.
Good overall clinical outcomes and self-reported assessments were documented, and remained good at 15 years. The mean Lysholm and Tegner scores improved from 59.7 ± 18.5 and 4.2 ± 1.0 preoperatively to 86.4 ± 5.6 (p = 0.004) and 6.9 ± 1.4 (p = 0.005) respectively at follow-up. The IKDC subjective score improved from 60.1 ± 9.2 to 80.2 ± 8.1 (p = 0.003).
According to IKDC objective score, 75% of patients had normal or nearly normal knee joints at follow-up. Grade 0 or 1 results were seen in 85% of patients on laxity testing. Degenerative changes were found in 67% of patients. There was no correlation between arthritic changes and stability of knee and subjective evaluation (p > 0.05).
ACL reconstruction with patellar tendon autograft fixed to femur with press-fit technique allows to achieve good self-reported assessments and clinical ligament evaluation up to 15 years. Advantages of the bone-patellar-tendon-bone (BPTB) press-fit fixation include unlimited bone-to-bone healing, cost effectiveness, avoidance of disadvantages associated with hardware, and ease for revision surgery. BPTB femoral press-fit fixation technique can be safely applied in clinical practice and enables patients to return to preinjury activities including high-risk sports.
- Lohmander LS, Englund PM, Dahl LL, Roos EM: The Long-term Consequence of Anterior Cruciate Ligament and Meniscus Injuries: Osteoarthritis. Am J Sports Med 2007, 35:1756–1769. CrossRef
- Maletius W, Messner K: Eighteen- to twenty-four-year follow-up after complete rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament. Am J Sports Med 1999, 27:711–717.
- Sutherland AG, Cooper K, Alexander LA, Nicol M, Smith FW, Scotland TR: The long-term functional and radiological outcome after open reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2010, 92:1096–9. CrossRef
- Taylor DC, Posner M, Curl WW, Feagin JA: Isolated tears of the anterior cruciate ligament: over 30-year follow-up of patients treated with arthrotomy and primary repair. Am J Sports Med 2009, 37:65–71. CrossRef
- Heijink A, Gomoll AH, Madry H, Drobnič M, Filardo G, Espregueira-Mendes J, Van Dijk CN: Biomechanical considerations in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis of the knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2012, 20:423–35. CrossRef
- Aglietti P, Buzzi R, D’Andria S, Zaccherotti G: Long-term study of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction for chronic instability using the central one-third patellar tendon and a lateral extraarticular tenodesis. Am J Sports Med 1992, 20:38–45. CrossRef
- Chen J, Xu J, Wang A, Zheng M: Scaffolds for tendon and ligament repair: review of the efficacy of commercial products. Expert Rev Med Devices 2009, 6:61–73. CrossRef
- Fu FH, Bennett CH, Ma CB, Menetrey J, Lattermann C: Current trends in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, part II: operative procedures and clinical correlations. Am J Sports Med 2000, 28:124–129.
- Mologne TS, Friedman MJ: Graft options for ACL reconstruction. Am J Orthop 2000, 29:845–853.
- Noronha JC: Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament with quadriceps tendon. Arthroscopy 2002, 18:E37.
- Noyes FR, Barber-Westin SD: Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament with human allograft. Comparison of early and later results. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996, 78:524–537.
- Drogset JO, Straume LG, Bjørkmo I, Myhr G: A prospective randomized study of ACL-reconstructions using bone-patellar tendon-bone grafts fixed with bioabsorbable or metal interference screws. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2011, 19:753–9. CrossRef
- Fox J, Nedeff D, Spindler K: Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar autograft tendon. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2002, 402:53–63. CrossRef
- Salmon LJ, Russell VJ, Refshauge K, Kader D, Connolly C, Linklater J, Pinczewski LA: Long-term outcome of endoscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar tendon autograft: minimum 13-year review. Am J Sports Med 2006, 34:721–32. CrossRef
- Shelbourne KD, Trumper RV: Preventing anterior knee pain after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 1997, 25:41–47. CrossRef
- Eriksson K, Anderberg P, Hamberg P, Olerud P, Wredmark T: There are differences in early morbidity after ACL reconstruction when comparing patellar tendon and semitendinosus tendon graft: a prospective randomized study of 107 patients. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2001, 11:170–177. CrossRef
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Fleming BC, Kannus P, Kaplan M, Samani J, Renström P: Anterior cruciate ligament replacement: comparison of bone-patellar tendon-bone grafts with two-strand hamstring grafts. A prospective, randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002, 84:1503–13.
- Replogle WH, Barrett GR, Johnson WD: Outcome evaluation of ACL reconstruction using patellar tendon allograft. Arthroscopy 2010, 26:1018–9.
- Hertel P: Technik der offenen Ersatzplastik des vorderen Kreuzbandes mit autologer Patellarsehne. Anatomische Rekonstruktion in schraubenfreier Press-fit-Technik. Arthroskopie 1997, 10:240–245.
- Hertel P, Behrend H, Cierpinski T, Musahl V, Widjaja G: ACL reconstruction using bone-patellar tendon-bone press-fit fixation: 10-year clinical results. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2005, 13:248–55. CrossRef
- Boszotta H: Arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using a patellar tendon graft in press-fit technique: surgical technique and follow-up. Arthroscopy 1997, 13:332–339. CrossRef
- Gobbi A, Diara A, Mahajan S, Zanazzo M, Tuy B: Patellar tendon anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with conical press-fit femoral fixation: 5-year results in athletes population. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2002, 10:73–79. CrossRef
- Al-Husseiny M, Batterjee K: Press-fit fixation in reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament, using bone-patellar tendon-bone graft. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2004, 12:104–9. CrossRef
- Pavlik A, Hidas P, Czigány T, Berkes I: Biomechanical evaluation of press-fit femoral fixation technique in ACL reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2004, 12:528–33. CrossRef
- Rupp S, Krauss PW, Fritsch EW: Fixation strength of a biodegradable interference screw and a press-fit technique in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with a BPTB-graft. Arthroscopy 1997, 13:61–65. CrossRef
- Musahl V, Abramowitch SD, Gabriel MT, Debski RE, Hertel P, Fu FH, Woo SL-Y: Tensile properties of an anterior cruciate ligament graft after bone-patellar tendon-bone press-fit fixation. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2003, 11:68–74.
- American Medical Association, Subcommittee on Classification of Sports Injuries and Committee on the Medical Aspects of Sports: Standard nomenclature of athletic injuries. Chicago: American Medical Association; 1968:99–100.
- Outerbridge RE: The etiology of chondromalacia patellae. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1961, 43:752–57.
- Anderson AF: Rating scales. In Knee Surgery. Edited by: Fu FH, Harner CD, Vince KG. Baltimore: Wiliams and Wilkins; 1994:275–297.
- Lysholm J, Gillquist J: Evaluation of knee ligament surgery results with special emphasis on use of a scoring scale. Am J Sports Med 1984, 10:150–154. CrossRef
- Tegner Y, Lysholm J: Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Clin Orthop 1985, 198:43–49.
- Torg JS, Conrad W, Kalen V: Clinical diagnosis of anterior cruciate ligament instability in the athlete. Am J Sports Med 1976, 4:84–93. CrossRef
- Jakob RP, Stäubli HU, Deland JT: Grading the pivot shift. Objective tests with implications for treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1987, 69:294–9.
- Rosenberg TD, Paulos LE, Parker RD, Coward DB, Scott SM: The forty-five-degree posteroanterior flexion weight-bearing radiograph of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1988, 70:1479–1483.
- Jomha NM, Pinczewski LA, Clingeleffer A, Otto DD: Arthroscopic reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament with patellar-tendon autograft and interference screw fixation: results at seven years. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1999, 81:775–779. CrossRef
- Jarvela T, Paakkala T, Kannus P, Jarvinen M: The incidence of patellofemoral osteoarthritis and associated findings 7 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with bone–patellar tendon–bone autograft. Am J Sports Med 2001, 29:18–24.
- Felmet G: Implant-free press-fit fixation for bone-patellar tendon-bone ACL reconstruction: 10-year results. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2010, 130:985–92. CrossRef
- Forssblad M, Valentin A, Engström B, Werner S: ACL reconstruction: patellar tendon versus hamstring grafts-economical aspects. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2006, 14:536–41. CrossRef
- Shelbourne K, Gray T: Results of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction based on meniscus and articular cartilage status at the time of surgery: five to fifteen year evaluations. Am J Sports Med 2000, 28:446–452.
- Buss DD, Warren RF, Wickiewicz TL, Galinat BJ, Panariello R: Arthroscopically assisted reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament with use of autogenous patellar-ligament grafts. Results after twenty-four to forty-two months. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1993, 75:1346–1355.
- Shelbourne KD, Gray T: Minimum 10-year results after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: how the loss of normal knee motion compounds other factors related to the development of osteoarthritis after surgery. Am J Sports Med 2009, 37:471–80. CrossRef
- Bonatus T, Alexander A: Patellar fracture and avulsion of the patellar ligament complicating arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Orthop Rev 1991, 20:770–774.
- Viola R, Vianello R: Three cases of patella fracture in 1320 anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions with bone-patellar tendon–bone autograft. Arthroscopy 1999, 15:93–97. CrossRef
- Widuchowski W, Widuchowski J, Koczy B, Szyluk K: Untreated asymptomatic deep cartilage lesions associated with anterior cruciate ligament injury: results at 10- and 15-year follow-up. Am J Sports Med 2009, 37:688–692. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/13/115/prepub
- Femoral press-fit fixation in ACL reconstruction using bone-patellar tendon-bone autograft: results at 15 years follow-up
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of the Knee Surgery, Arthroscopy and Sports Traumatology, District Hospital of Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery, Piekary Slaskie, Poland
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine and Rheumatology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
- 3. Department and Clinic of Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Surgery, Faculty of Postgraduate Medical Training, Wrocław Medical University, Wrocław, Poland
- 4. College of Physiotherapy in Wrocław, Wrocław, Poland