A rapid and efficient way to manage hyponatremia in patients with SIADH and small cell lung cancer: treatment with tolvaptan
Hyponatremia based on syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone hypersecretion (SIADH) is observed in up to 15% of patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC). The electrolyte imbalance is associated with a high morbidity and mortality and often delays appropriate treatment. Management of hyponatremia proved to be challenging until new vasopressin-2 receptor antagonists such as tolvaptan became available. This is the first report which presents a prospective case series with an efficient management of hyponatremia including tolvaptan in ten patients with SCLC and severe SIADH (plasma sodium < 125 mmol/l).
Ten patients with SCLC and severe SIADH were followed after the onset of clinical symptoms of SIADH. Patients were chosen on the basis of histological proven diagnosis of SCLC and the clinical picture of a neurocognitive deficit caused by SIADH-related hyponatremia. All patient data were monitored for clinical improvement based on ECOG status, commencement of chemotherapy and correction of sodium levels.
The treatment followed a diagnostic and treatment algorithm and lead to a rapid and efficient correction of both clinical symptoms and plasma sodium level.
Based on this algorithm all patients started chemotherapy in time. Subsequently, the treatment with tolvaptan lead to an improvement of the ECOG-performance status. In addition, all patients benefit from the effective management of SIADH which omitted prolonged hospital stays and non-elective hospitalizations due to an unstable clinical condition due to severe hyponatremia. These observations add new insight to management of SIADH in thoracic oncology and are of interest for specialists in oncology, endocrinology and pulmonary medicine.
- Van Meerbeeck, JP, Fennell, DA, De Ruysscher, DK (2011) Small-cell lung cancer. Lancet 378: pp. 1741-55 CrossRef
- Kalemkerian, GP, Akerley, W, Bogner, P, Borghaei, H, Chow, L, Downey, RJ, Gandhi, L, Ganti, AK, Govindan, R, Grecula, JC, Hayman, J, Heist, RS, Horn, L, Jahan, TM, Koczywas, M, Moran, CA, Niell, HB, O’Malley, J, Patel, JD, Ready, N, Rudin, CM, Williams, CC (2011) Small cell lung cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 10: pp. 1086-113
- Petereit, C, Zaba, O, Teber, I, Grohé, C (2011) Is hyponatremia a prognostic marker of survival for lung cancer?. Pneumologie 65: pp. 565-71 CrossRef
- Hansen, O (2010) The occurrence of hyponatremia in SCLC and the influence on prognosis. A retrospective study of 453 patients treated in a single institution in a 10 year period. Lung Cancer 68: pp. 111-114 CrossRef
- Iyer, AV (2003) Sodium wasting nephropathy caused by cisplatinum in a patient with small cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer 5: pp. 187-189 CrossRef
- Castillo, JJ, Vincent, M, Justice, E (2012) Diagnosis and management of hyponatremia in cancer patients. Oncologist 17: pp. 756-65 CrossRef
- Renneboog, B (2006) Mild chronic hyponatremia is associated with falls, unsteadiness, and attention deficits. Am J Med 119: pp. 1-8 CrossRef
- Schwartz, WB (1957) A syndrome of renal sodium loss and hyponatremia probably resulting from inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone. Am J Med 23: pp. 529-542 CrossRef
- Sorensen, JB (1995) Syndrome of inappropriate secretion of anitdiuretic hormone (SIADH) in malignant disease. J Inten Med 238: pp. 97-110
- Verbalis, JG, Adler, S, Schrier, RW, Berl, T, Zhao, Q, Czerwiec, FS (2011) Efficacy and safety of oral tolvaptan therapy in patients with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion. SALT Investigators. Eur J Endocrinol 164: pp. 725-32 CrossRef
- Kenz, S, Haas, CS, Werth, SC, Bohnet, S, Brabant, G (2011) High sensitivity to tovaptan in paraneoplastic syndrome of inappropriate ADH secretion (SIADH). Ann Oncol 22: pp. 2696 CrossRef
- Vanhees, SL, Paridaens, R, Vansteenkiste, JF (2000) Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone associated with chemotherapy-induced tumour lysis in small-cell lung cancer: case report and literature review. Ann Oncol 11: pp. 1061-5 CrossRef
- Onitilo, AA (2007) Tumor related hyponatremia. Clin Med Res 5: pp. 228-237 CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2466/13/55/prepub
- A rapid and efficient way to manage hyponatremia in patients with SIADH and small cell lung cancer: treatment with tolvaptan
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Pulmonary Medicine
- Online Date
- August 2013
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Small cell lung cancer (SCLC)
- Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone hypersecretion (SIADH)