Combination of pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy in the treatment of chronic depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Chronic depression represents a substantial portion of depressive disorders and is associated with severe consequences. This review examined whether the combination of pharmacological treatments and psychotherapy is associated with higher effectiveness than pharmacotherapy alone via meta-analysis; and identified possible treatment effect modifiers via meta-regression-analysis.
A systematic search was conducted in the following databases: Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), MEDLINE, EMBASE, ISI Web of Science, BIOSIS, PsycINFO, and CINAHL. Primary efficacy outcome was a response to treatment; primary acceptance outcome was dropping out of the study. Only randomized controlled trials were considered.
We identified 8 studies with a total of 9 relevant comparisons. Our analysis revealed small, but statistically not significant effects of combined therapies on outcomes directly related to depression (BR = 1.20) with substantial heterogeneity between studies (I² = 67%). Three treatment effect modifiers were identified: target disorders, the type of psychotherapy and the type of pharmacotherapy. Small but statistically significant effects of combined therapies on quality of life (SMD = 0.18) were revealed. No differences in acceptance rates and the long-term effects between combined treatments and pure pharmacological interventions were observed.
This systematic review could not provide clear evidence for the combination of pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy. However, due to the small amount of primary studies further research is needed for a conclusive decision.
- Gilmer WS, Trivedi MH, Rush AJ, Wisniewski SR, Luther J, Howland RH, Yohanna D, Khan A, Alpert J: Factors associated with chronic depressive episodes: A preliminary report from the STAR-D project. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2005,112(6):425–433. CrossRef
- Torpey DC, Klein DN: Chronic depression: Update on classification and treatment. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2008,10(6):458–464. CrossRef
- Klein DN: Chronic Depression: Diagnosis and Classification. Curr Dir Psychol Sci 2010,19(2):96–100. CrossRef
- Satyanarayana S, Enns MW, Cox BJ, Sareen J: Prevalence and correlates of chronic depression in the Canadian Community Health Survey: Mental health and well-being. Can J Psychiatry 2009,54(6):389–398.
- Berndt ET, Koran LM, Finkelstein SN, Gelenberg AJ, Kornstein SG, Miller IW, Thase ME, Trapp GA, Keller MB: Lost human capital from early-onset chronic depression. Am J Psychiatry 2000,157(6):940–947. CrossRef
- Kocsis JH: Pharmacotherapy for chronic depression. J Clin Psychol 2003,59(8):885–892. CrossRef
- Lima MS, Moncrieff J, Soares BGO: Drugs versus placebo for dysthymia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005.
- Michalak EE, Lam RW: Breaking the myths: New treatment approaches for chronic depression. Can J Psychiatry 2002,47(7):635–643.
- Cuijpers P, van Straten A, Schuurmans J, van Oppen P, Hollon SD, Andersson G: Psychotherapy for chronic major depression and dysthymia: A meta-analysis. Clin Psychol Rev 2010,30(1):51–62. CrossRef
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE): Depression: the Treatment and Management of Depression in Adults. National Clinical Practice Guideline 90. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), London; 2009.
- American Psychiatric Association: Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder. 3rd edition. American Psychiatric Association, Arlington (VA); 2010 Oct.
- Barrett B, Byford S, Knapp M: Evidence of cost-effective treatments for depression: a systematic review. J Affect Disord 2005,84(1):1–13. CrossRef
- Kocsis JH, Gelenberg AJ, Rothbaum BO, Klein DN, Trivedi MH, Manber R, Keller MB, Leon AC, Wisniewski SR, Arnow BA, et al.: Cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy and brief supportive psychotherapy for augmentation of antidepressant nonresponse in chronic depression: the REVAMP Trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2009,66(11):1178–1188. CrossRef
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, and the PRISMA Group: Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA Statement. Ann Intern Med 2009,151(4):264–269.
- Kriston L, von Wolff A, Hölzel LP: Effectiveness of psychotherapeutic, pharmacological, and combined treatments for chronic depression: a systematic review (METACHRON). BMC Psychiatry 2010,23(10):95. CrossRef
- Higgins JPT, Green S: Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.2 [updated September 2009]. The Cochrane Collaboration. , ; 2009:2.
- Egger M, Smith GD, Altman DG: Systematic Reviews in Health Care. Meta-analysis in context. 2nd edition. BMJ Publishing Group, London; 2003.
- Khan KS, Ter Riet G, Glanville J, Sowden AJ, Kleijnen J: Undertaking Systematic Reviews of Research on Effectiveness, CRD's Guidance for those Carrying Out or Commissioning Reviews. CRD Report Number 4. 2nd edition. NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, Heslington, York; 2001.
- DerSimonian R, Laird N: Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986,7(3):177–188. CrossRef
- Higgins JPT, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG: Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ (British Medical Journal) 2003,327(7414):557–560. CrossRef
- Sterne JAC, Egger M, Smith GD: Investigating and dealing with publication and other biases. In Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. 2nd edition. Edited by: Egger M, Smith GD, Altman DG. BMJ Publishing Group, London; 2003:248–282.
- Bucher HC, Guyatt GH, Griffith LE, Walter SD: The results of direct and indirect treatment comparisons in meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Epidemiol 1997,50(6):683–691. CrossRef
- Deeks JJ, Altman DG, Bradburn MJ: Statistical methods for examining heterogeneity and combining results from several stud-ies in meta-analysis. In Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. 2nd edition. Edited by: Egger M, Smith GD, Altman DG. BMJ Publishing Group, London; 2003:313–335.
- Song F, Altman DG, Glenny AM, Deeks JJV: Validity of indirect comparison for estimating efficacy of competing interventions: empirical evidence from published meta-analyses. BMJ 2003,326(7387):472–476. CrossRef
- Wilson DB: SPSS, Stata, and SAS macros for performing meta-analytic analyses. http://masongmuedu/~dwilsonb/mahtml last uptated: 11–08–2010 accessed: 31–10–2011.
- Browne G, Steiner M, Roberts J, Gafni A, Byrne C, Dunn E, Bell B, Mills M, Chalkin L, Wallik D, et al.: Sertraline and/or interpersonal psychotherapy for patients with dysthymic disorder in primary care: 6-month comparison with longitudinal 2-year follow-up of effectiveness and costs. J Affect Disord 2002,68(2–3):317–330. CrossRef
- de Mello MF, Myczcowisk LM, Menezes PR: A randomized controlled trial comparing moclobemide and moclobemide plus interpersonal psychotherapy in the treatment of dysthymic disorder. J Psychother Pract Res 2001,10(2):117–123.
- Keller MB, McCullough JP, Klein DN, Arnow B, Dunner DL, Gelenberg AJ, Markowitz JC, Nemeroff CB, Russell JM, Thase ME, et al.: A comparison of nefazodone, the cognitive behavioral-analysis system of psychotherapy, and their combination for the treatment of chronic depression. [Erratum appears in N Engl J Med 2001 Jul 19;345(3):232]. N Engl J Med 2000,342(20):1462–1470. CrossRef
- Markowitz JC, Kocsis JH, Bleiberg KL, Christos PJ, Sacks M: A comparative trial of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy for "pure" dysthymic patients. J Affect Disord 2005,89(1–3):167–175. CrossRef
- Miller IW, Norman WH, Keitner GI: Combined treatment for patients with double depression. Psychother Psychosom 1999,68(4):180–185. CrossRef
- Ravindran AV, Anisman H, Merali Z, Charbonneau Y, Telner J, Bialik RJ, Wiens A, Ellis J, Griffiths J: Treatment of primary dysthymia with group cognitive therapy and pharmacotherapy: clinical symptoms and functional impairments. Am J Psychiatry 1999,156(10):1608–1617.
- Schramm E, Schneider D, Zobel I, van Calker D, Dykierek P, Kech S, Härter M, Berger M: Efficacy of Interpersonal Psychotherapy plus pharmacotherapy in chronically depressed inpatients. J Affect Disord 2008,109(1–2):65–73. CrossRef
- Mohr DC, Hart SL, Howard I, Julian L, Vella L, Catledge C, Feldman MD: Barriers to psychotherapy among depressed and nondepressed primary care patients. Ann Behav Med 2006,32(3):254–258. CrossRef
- Wolf NJ, Hopko DR: Psychosocial and pharmacological interventions for depressed adults in primary care: A critical review. Clin Psychol Rev 2008,28(1):131–161. CrossRef
- van Schaik DJ, Klijn AF, van Hout HP, van Marwijk HW, Beekman AT, de Haan M, van Dyck R: Patients’ preferences in the treatment of depressive disorder in primary care. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2004,26(3):184–189. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/12/61/prepub
- Combination of pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy in the treatment of chronic depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Chronic depression
- Systematic review
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical Psychology, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
- 2. Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Medical Center Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany