Structural brain changes in first episode Schizophrenia compared with Fronto-Temporal Lobar Degeneration: a meta-analysis
- Bayanne OlabiAffiliated withDivision of Psychiatry, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Royal Edinburgh Hospital Email author
- , Ian Ellison-WrightAffiliated withAvon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- , Ed BullmoreAffiliated withDepartment of Psychiatry, Behavioral & Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of CambridgeCambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
- , Stephen M LawrieAffiliated withDivision of Psychiatry, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Royal Edinburgh Hospital
The authors sought to compare gray matter changes in First Episode Schizophrenia (FES) compared with Fronto-Temporal Lobar Degeneration (FTLD) using meta-analytic methods applied to neuro-imaging studies.
A systematic search was conducted for published, structural voxel-based morphometric MRI studies in patients with FES or FTLD. Data were combined using anatomical likelihood estimation (ALE) to determine the extent of gray matter decreases and analysed to ascertain the degree of overlap in the spatial distribution of brain changes in both diseases.
Data were extracted from 18 FES studies (including a total of 555 patients and 621 comparison subjects) and 20 studies of FTLD or related disorders (including a total of 311 patients and 431 comparison subjects). The similarity in spatial overlap of brain changes in the two disorders was significant (p = 0.001). Gray matter deficits common to both disorders included bilateral caudate, left insula and bilateral uncus regions.
There is a significant overlap in the distribution of structural brain changes in First Episode Schizophrenia and Fronto-Temporal Lobar Degeneration. This may reflect overlapping aetiologies, or a common vulnerability of these regions to the distinct aetio-pathological processes in the two disorders.
KeywordsSchizophrenia/pathology FTLD/pathology Meta-analysis Magnetic resonance imaging/methods Humans Brain/pathology Brain mapping Imaging processing Computer-Assisted/methods
- Structural brain changes in first episode Schizophrenia compared with Fronto-Temporal Lobar Degeneration: a meta-analysis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- August 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Magnetic resonance imaging/methods
- Brain mapping
- Imaging processing
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Psychiatry, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh, EH10 5HF, UK
- 2. Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust, Salisbury, UK
- 3. Department of Psychiatry, Behavioral & Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
- 4. Cambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK