Changes in intraocular pressure after pharmacologic pupil dilation
Intraocular pressure (IOP) may vary according to the change of ocular conditions. In this study, we want to assess the effect and mechanism of pupil dilation on IOP in normal subjects.
We prospectively evaluated 32 eyes of 32 patients (age; 61.7 ± 8.2 years) with normal open angles under diurnal IOP. IOP was measured every two hours from 9 AM to 11 PM for one day to establish baseline values and was measured again for one day to assess the differences after dilation. To induce dilation, we administered 2.5% phenylephrine and 1% tropicamide every 5 minutes from 8:30 AM to 8:45 AM and for every two hours from 11 AM to 9 PM to keep the pupil dilated. Diurnal IOP, biometry, Visante OCT, and laser flare photometry were measured before and after dilation.
We observed a significant increase in IOP after dilation, 1.85 ± 2.01 mmHg (p = 0.002). IOP elevation remained significant until about four hours after dilation. Thereafter, IOP decreased slowly and eventually reached pre-dilation level (p > 0.05). Flare values decreased, and the anterior chamber angle became wider after mydriasis.
Dilation of the pupil significantly and incidentally elevated IOP in normal subjects. Further related studies are warranted to characterize the mechanism of the increased IOP after dilation.
- Kim MS, Kim JM, Park KH, Choi CY: Asymmetry of diurnal intraocular pressure fluctuation between right and left eyes. Acta Ophthalmol 2011,89(4):352–357. CrossRef
- Asrani S, Zeimer R, Wilensky J, Gieser D, Vitale S, Lindenmuth K: Large diurnal fluctuations in intraocular pressure are an independent risk factor in patients with glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2000,9(2):134–142. CrossRef
- Khan JC, Hughes EH, Tom BD, Diamond JP: Pulsatile ocular blood flow: the effect of the Valsalva manoeuver in open angle and normal tension glaucoma: a case report and prospective study. Br J Ophthalmol 2002,86(10):1089–1092. CrossRef
- Bakke EF, Hisdal J, Semb SO: Intraocular pressure increases in parallel with systemic blood pressure during isometric exercise. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009,50(2):760–764. CrossRef
- Harris LS: Cycloplegic-induced intraocular pressure elevations a study of normal and open-angle glaucomatous eyes. Arch Ophthalmol 1968,9(3):242–246. CrossRef
- Rengstorff RH, Doughty CB: Mydriatic and cycloplegic drugs: a review of ocular and systemic complications. Am J Optom Physiol Opt 1982,59(2):162–177. CrossRef
- Siam GA, de Barros DS, Gheith ME, Da Silva RS, Lankaranian D, Tittler EH, Myers JS, Spaeth GL: The amount of intraocular pressure rise during pharmacological pupillary dilatation is an indicator of the likelihood of future progression of glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol 2007,91(9):1170–1172. CrossRef
- Shah SM, Spalton DJ, Taylor JC: Correlations between laser flare measurements and anterior chamber protein concentrations. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1992,33(10):2878–2884.
- Forman AR: A new low-concentration preparation for mydriasis and cycloplegia. Ophthalmology 1980,87(3):213–215.
- Ishikawa S, Oono S: Comparative study on mydriatic effects of tropicamide and its combination with phenylephrine (author's transl). Nippon Ganka Gakkai Zasshi 1977,10;81(9):1515–1520.
- Mitsui Y, Miki T: [A trial of new diagnostic mydriatic.]. Nippon Ganka Kiyo 1961, 12:1026.
- Harris LS, Galin MA: Cycloplegic provocative testing. Effect of miotic therapy. Arch Ophthalmol 1969,81(4):544–547. CrossRef
- Shaw BR, Lewis RA: Intraocular pressure elevation after pupillary dilation in open angle glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol 1986,104(8):1185–1188. CrossRef
- Velasco Cabrera J, Eiroa Mozos P, Garcia Sanchez J, Bermudez Rodriguez F: Changes in intraocular pressure due to cycloplegia. CLAO J 1998,24(2):111–114.
- Kronfeld PC, McGarry HI, Smith HE: The effect of mydriatics upon the intra-ocular pressure in so-called primary wide-angle glaucoma. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 1942, 40:127–140.
- Harris LS, Galin MA, Mittag TW: Cycloplegic provocative testing after topical administration of steroids. Arch Ophthalmol 1971,86(1):12–14. CrossRef
- Valle O: Effect of cyclopentolate on the aqueous dynamics in incipient or suspected open-angle glaucoma. Acta Ophthalmol Suppl 1974, 123:52–60.
- Kristensen P: Mydriasis-induced pigment liberation in the anterior chamber associated with acute rise in intraocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh) 1965,43(5):714–724. CrossRef
- Kristensen P: Pigment liberation test in open-angle glaucoma. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh) 1968,46(3):586–599. CrossRef
- Valle O: The cyclopentolate provocative test in suspected or untreated open-angle glaucoma. V. Statistical analysis of 431 eyes. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh) 1976,54(6):791–803. CrossRef
- Kim KS, Kim JM, Park KH, Choi CY, Chang HR: The effect of cataract surgery on diurnal intraocular pressure fluctuation. J Glaucoma 2009,18(5):399–402. CrossRef
- Jewelewicz DA, Radcliffe NM, Liebmann J, Ritch R: Temporal evolution of intraocular pressure elevation after pupillary dilation in pigment dispersion syndrome. J Glaucoma 2009,18(3):184–185. CrossRef
- Guillen-Monterrubio OM, Hartikainen J, Taskinen K, Saari KM: Quantitative determination of aqueous flare and cells in healthy eyes. Acta Ophthalmol Scand 1997,75(1):58–62. CrossRef
- Harper CL, Boulton ME, Bennett D, Marcyniuk B, Jarvis-Evans JH, Tullo AB, Ridgway AE: Diurnal variations in human corneal thickness. Br J Ophthalmol 1996,80(12):1068–1072. CrossRef
- Read SA, Collins MJ: Diurnal variation of corneal shape and thickness. Optom Vis Sci 2009,86(3):170–180. CrossRef
- Mapstone R, Clark CV: Diurnal variation in the dimensions of the anterior chamber. Arch Ophthalmol 1985,103(10):1485–1486. CrossRef
- Qureshi IA, Xi XR, Lu HJ, Wu XD, Huang YB, Shiarkar E: Effect of seasons upon intraocular pressure in healthy population of China. Korean J Ophthalmol 1996,10(1):29–33.
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2415/12/53/prepub
- Changes in intraocular pressure after pharmacologic pupil dilation
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Anterior chamber angle
- IOP variation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Ophthalmology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Seoul, Korea
- 2. Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
- 3. Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
- 4. Department of Ophthalmology, Jules Stein Eye Institute, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA