Quality of guidelines on the management of diabetes in pregnancy: a systematic review
Diabetes during pregnancy can lead to severe risks for both mother and fetus when it is not managed properly. The use of rigorously developed guidelines with a robust implementation process can have a positive influence on the management of diabetes during pregnancy. This study aims to compare recommendations and assess the quality of clinical guidelines on gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) and pre-existing diabetes mellitus during pregnancy.
Guidelines were selected by searching PubMed, the Guideline Clearing House and Google. All guidelines developed since 2000 on diabetes during pregnancy in English or Dutch were considered. Recommendations of the guidelines were compared. Furthermore, the quality was assessed by two authors independently, using the AGREE instrument.
Eight guidelines were included. According to the AGREE instrument, the quality of most guidelines was low. The domains editorial independence, stakeholder involvement and rigour of development had the lowest scores. Recommendations were mainly comparable on glycemic control, preconceptional counseling and prenatal care and labour. Differences between recommendations were found for screening on GDM and induction of labour.
The quality of most guidelines concerning the management of diabetes during pregnancy needs to be improved. A more systematic approach in the development of these guidelines, more attention for updating procedures and piloting of the guidelines and involvement of target users and patients is recommended.
- Tieu J, Middleton P, McPhee AJ, Crowther CA: Screening and subsequent management for gestational diabetes for improving maternal and infant health. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010, 7:CD007222.
- Solomon CG, Willett WC, Carey VJ, Rich-Edwards J, Hunter DJ, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Speizer FE, Spiegelman D, Manson JE: A prospective study of pregravid determinants of gestational diabetes mellitus. JAMA 1997, 278:1078–1083. CrossRef
- Sunsaneevithayakul P, Boriboohirunsarn D, Sutanthavibul A, Ruangvutilert P, Kanokpongsakdi S, Singkiratana D, Bunyawanichkul S: Risk factor-based selective screening program for gestational diabetes mellitus in Siriraj Hospital: result from clinical practice guideline. J Med Assoc Thai 2003, 86:708–714.
- Mikola M, Hiilesmaa V, Halttunen M, Suhonen L, Tiitinen A: Obstetric outcome in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Hum Reprod 2001, 16:226–229. CrossRef
- Roscam-Abbing H, Elion-Gerritzen W, Brouwer C, Diamant M, Heine R, van Lith J, Schreuder M, Schutte M, de Valk H, Heringa M, Wiersma T, Daemers D, Oldenziel J, Flikweert S, Merkus J, Eskes M: De standaard “Zwangerschap en kraamperiode” (eerste herziening) van het Nederlandse Huisartsen Genootschap. 2004, 148. [NTVG]
- Diabetes mellitus and pregnancy. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/127547-overview
- Diabetes Control and Complications Trials Research Group: Pregnancy outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996, 174:1343–1353. CrossRef
- Boulot P, Chabbert-Buffet N, D’Ercole C, Floriot M, Fontaine P, Fournier A, Gillet JY, Gin H, Grandperret-Vauthier S, Geudj AM, Guionnet B, Hauguel-de-Mouzon S, Hieronimus S, Hoffet M, Jullien D, Lamotte MF, Lejeune V, Lepercq J, Lorenzi F, Mares P, Miton A, Penfornis A, Pfister B, Renard E, Rodier M, Roth P, Sery G-A, Timsit J, Valat AS, Vambergue A, Verier-Mine O: French multicentric survey of outcome of pregnancy in women with pregestational diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003, 26:2990–2993. CrossRef
- Farrell T, Neale L, Cundy T: Congenital anomalies in the offspring of women with type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes. Diabet Med 2002, 19:322–326. CrossRef
- Esakoff TF, Cheng YW, Sparks TN, Caughey AB: The association between birthweight 4000 g or greater and perinatal outcomes in patients with and without gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009, 200:672. e1–4 CrossRef
- Kinsley B: Achieving better outcomes in pregnancies complicated by type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Clin Ther 2007,29(Suppl D):S153-S160. CrossRef
- AGREE Collaboration: Development and validation of an international appraisal instrument for assessing the quality of clinical practice guidelines: the AGREE project. Qual Saf Health Care 2003, 12:18–23. CrossRef
- Lo Vecchio A, Giannattasio A, Duggan C, De Masi S, Ortisi MT, Parola L, Guarino A: Evaluation of the quality of guidelines for acute gastroenteritis in children with the AGREE instrument. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2011, 52:183–189. CrossRef
- Bouwmeester W, van Enst A, van Tulder M: Quality of low back pain guidelines improved. Spine 2009, 34:2562–2567. CrossRef
- International Diabetes Center: Diabetes in pregnancy. 4th edition. 2007. [Prevention, detection and treatment of diabetes in adults]
- American Diabetes Association: Gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2003,26(Suppl 1):S103-S105.
- Kitzmiller JL, Block JM, Brown FM, Catalano PM, Conway DL, Coustan DR, Gunderson EP, Herman WH, Hoffman LD, Inturrisi M, Jovanovic LB, Kjos SI, Knopp RH, Montoro MN, Ogata ES, Paramsothy P, Reader DM, Rosenn BM, Thomas AM, Kirkman MS, American Diabetes Association: Managing preexisting diabetes for pregnancy: summary of evidence and consensus recommendations for care. Diabetes Care 2008, 31:1060–1079. CrossRef
- Seshiah V, Das AK, Balaji V, Joshi SR, Parikh MN, Gupta S, Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group: Gestational diabetes mellitus--guidelines. J Assoc Physicians India 2006, 54:622–628.
- Canadian Diabetes Association: Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes in Canada. Canadian J Diabetes 2008,32(suppl 1):S1-S201.
- Rowbard H, Blonde L, Braithwaite S, Brett E, Cobin R, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists: Medical guidelines for clinical practice for the management of diabetes mellitus. Endocr Pract 2007, 13:1–68.
- Lassmann-Vague V, Basdevant A, Cathelineau G, Fenichel P, Laborde D, Mouroux D, Pinget M, Tchobroutsky C, Unal D, Vambergue A: Pregnancy and contraception in the diabetic woman. Gestational diabetes. Recommendations of ALFEDIAM (French Language Association for the Study of Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases). Diabetes Metab 1996, 22:459–469.
- National Diabetes Commission Singapore: Guidelines for the management of diabetes mellitus in Singapore. Singapore Med J 1993,34(6 Suppl):S1–35.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: ACOG Practice Bulletin. Clinical Management Guidelines for Obstetrician-Gynecologists. Number 60, March 2005. Pregestational diabetes mellitus. Obstet Gynecol 2005, 105:675–685. CrossRef
- Gestational diabetes mellitus - management guidelines. http://ranzcog.edu.au/publications/statements/coll-end-statements/ADIPS-gdm-management-guidelines.pdf
- Consensus guidelines for the management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in relation to pregnancy. http://adips.org/images/stories/documents/adips_pregdm_guidelines.pdf
- Obstetric guideline 10A Gestational Diabetes. http://www.perinatalservicesbc.ca/sites/bcrcp/files/Guidelines/Obstetrics/MasterGestationalDiabetesOctober.pdf
- Obstetric guideline 10B Diabetes mellitus and pregnancy type 1 & 2. http://www.perinatalservicesbc.ca/sites/bcrcp/files/Guidelines/Obstetrics/MasterDiabetesMellitusOctober.pdf
- Gestational diabetes. http://www.coloradoguidelines.org/guidelines/gestationaldiabetes.asp
- Diabetes mellitus and pregnancy. http://www.nvog-documenten.nl/richtlijn/item/pagina.php?id=27418&richtlijn_id=863
- Global guideline on pregnancy and diabetes. http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/Pregnancy_EN_RTP.pdf
- Diabetes in pregnancy - management of diabetes and its complications from preconception to the postnatal period. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11946/41320/41320.pdf
- van Tulder MW, Tuut M, Pennick V, Bombardier C, Assendelft WJJ: Quality of primary care guidelines for acute low back pain. Spine 2004, 29:E357–362. CrossRef
- Agarwal MM, Dhatt GS, Punnose J, Koster G: Gestational diabetes: dilemma caused by multiple international diagnostic criteria. Diabet Med 2005, 22:1731–1736. CrossRef
- Vogel N, Burnand B, Vial Y, Ruiz J, Paccaud F, Hohlfeld P: Screening for gestational diabetes: variation in guidelines. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2000, 91:29–36. CrossRef
- Waugh N, Royle P, Clar C, Henderson R, Cummins E, Hadden D, Lindsay R, Pearson D: Screening for hyperglycaemia in pregnancy: a rapid update for the National Screening Committee. Health Technol Assess 2010, 14:1–183.
- Mahmud M, Mazza D: Preconception care of women with diabetes: a review of current guideline recommendations. BMC Womens Health 2010, 10:5. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/12/58/prepub
- Quality of guidelines on the management of diabetes in pregnancy: a systematic review
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Clinical guidelines
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gestational diabetes
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Health Sciences & EMGO + Institute for Health and Care Research, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, VU University, De Boelelaan 1085, 1081, HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, the Netherlands