Laparoscopic versus open catheter placement in peritoneal dialysis patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Peritoneal dialysis has been proven to be a safe and effective mode of renal replacement therapy for patients with end-stage renal disease. The usage of laparoscopic catheter placement technique was increased in recent years. But the advantages and disadvantages between the laparoscopic catheter placement technique and open laparotomy technique were still http://in controversy. The objective of this study is to access the operation-related data and complications of catheter placement for peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients, Then to determine the better method for catheter insertion.
We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis on published studies identified by the databases PubMed, EMBASE, Highwire, and the Cochrane Library. Analysis was performed using the statistical software Review Manager Version 5.0.
We assessed the operation-related data and complications of four randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and ten observational studies. The available data showed that laparoscope prolonged the time for catheter insertion in PD patients, however, the two groups did not significantly differ in hospital stays, early and late complications, including infection, dialysate leaks, catheter migration, pericannular bleeding, blockage and hernia.
The data showed that Laparoscopic catheter placement had no superiority to open surgery. However, this treatment still needs to be confirmed in a large, multi-center, well-designed RCT.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Tenckhoff H, Schechter H: A bacteriologically safe peritoneal access device. Trans Am SOC Artif Intern Organs 1968, 14:181–186.
- Ash S, Wolf GC, Bloch R: Placement of the Tenckhoff peritoneal dialysis catheter under peritoneoscopic visualization. Dial Transplant 1981, 10:383–385.
- Jwo SC, Chen KS, Lee CC, Chen HY: Prospective randomized study for comparison of open surgery with laparoscopic-assisted placement of Tenckhoff peritoneal dialysis catheter–a single center experience and literature review. J Surg Res 2010,159(1):489–496. CrossRef
- Tsimoyiannis EC, Siakas P, Glantzounis G, Toli C, Sferopoulos G, Pappas M, Manataki A: Laparoscopic placement of the Tenckhoff catheter for peritoneal dialysis. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2000,10(4):218–221.
- Gadallah MF, Pervez A, el-Shahawy MA, Sorrells D, Zibari G, McDonald J, Work J: Peritoneoscopic versus surgical placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters: a prospective randomized study on outcome. Am J Kidney Dis 1999,33(1):118–122. CrossRef
- Wright MJ, Bel'eed K, Johnson BF, Eadington DW, Sellars L, Farr MJ: Randomized prospective comparison of laparoscopic and open peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion. Perit Dial Int 1999,19(4):372–375.
- Gajjar AH, Rhoden DH, Kathuria P, Kaul R, Udupa AD, Jennings WC: Peritoneal dialysis catheters: laparoscopic versus traditional placement techniques and outcomes. Am J Surg 2007,194(6):872–875. discussion 875–6 CrossRef
- Mattioli G, Castagnetti M, Verrina E, Trivelli A, Torre M, Jasonni V, Perfumo F: Laparoscopic-assisted peritoneal dialysis catheter implantation in pediatric patients. Urology 2007,69(6):1185–1189. CrossRef
- Soontrapornchai P, Simapatanapong T: Comparison of open and laparoscopic secure placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters. Surg Endosc 2005,19(1):137–139. CrossRef
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A: A laparoscopic method for optimal peritoneal dialysis access. Am Surg 2005,71(2):135–143.
- Oğünç G, Tuncer M, Oğünç D, Yardimsever M, Ersoy F: Laparoscopic omental fixation technique versus open surgical placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters. Surg Endosc 2003,17(11):1749–1755. CrossRef
- Daschner M, Gfrörer S, Zachariou Z, Mehls O, Schaefer F: Laparoscopic Tenckhoff catheter implantation in children. Perit Dial Int 2002,22(1):22–26.
- Batey CA, Crane JJ, Jenkins MA, Johnston TD, Munch LC: Mini-laparoscopy-assisted placement of Tenckhoff catheters: an improved technique to facilitate peritoneal dialysis. J Endourol 2002,16(9):681–684. CrossRef
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A: A laparoscopic approach under local anesthesia for peritoneal dialysis access. Perit Dial Int 2000,20(6):757–765.
- Draganic B, James A, Booth M, Gani JS: Comparative experience of a simple technique for laparoscopic chronic ambulatory peritoneal dialysis catheter placement. Aust N Z J Surg 1998,68(10):735–739. CrossRef
- Eklund B, Groop PH, Halme L, Honkanen E, Kala AR: Peritoneal dialysis access: a comparison of peritoneoscopic and surgical insertion techniques. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1998,32(6):405–408. CrossRef
- Watson D, Paterson D, Bannister K: Secure placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters using a laparoscopic technique. Surg Laparosc Endosc 1996, 6:35–37. CrossRef
- European Renal Association: European Guidelines on Best Practice for the Management of Peritoneal Dialysis. Baxter Healthcare: Oxford University Press; 2002.
- Warady BA, Sullivan EK, Alexander SR: Lessons from the peritoneal dialysis patients database: a report of the North American Pediatric Renal Transplant Cooperative Study. Kidney Int 1996,49(suppl 53):568–571.
- Wells GA, Shea B, O’Connell D, Petersen J, Welch V, Losos M, Tugwell P: The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale(NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. Department of Epidemiology and Commuunity Medicine, University of Ottawa, Room 3227A, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1J 8M5, Canada Available at:http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.htm.Accessed September3, 2010. Available at:.Accessed September3, 2010.
- Higgins JPT, Green S: The Cochrane Collaboration. 2008. [Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.1 (updated September 2008)] www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- Review Manager (RevMan) (Computer Program). Version 5.0. Copenhagen. 2008. [The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration]
- Crabtree JH: The use of the laparoscope for dialysis catheter implantation: valuable carry-on or excess baggage? Perit Dial Int 2009,29(4):394–406.
- Gadallah MF, Ramdeen G, Mignone J, Patel D, Mitchell L, Tatro S: Role of preoperative antibiotic prophylaxis in preventing postoperative peritonitis in newly placed peritoneal dialysis catheters. Am J Kidney Dis 2000, 36:1014–1019. CrossRef
- Strippoli GF, Tong A, Johnson D, Schena FP, Craig JC: Antimicrobial agents to prevent peritonitis in peritoneal dialysis: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Am J Kidney Dis 2004, 44:591–603.
- Flanigan M, Gokal R: Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices toward optimum peritoneal access: a review of current developments. Perit Dial Int 2005, 25:132–139.
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2369/13/69/prepub
About this Article
- Laparoscopic versus open catheter placement in peritoneal dialysis patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- July 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Laparoscopic catheter placement
- Peritoneal dialysis