Identification of a rare 17p13.3 duplication including the BHLHA9 and YWHAE genes in a family with developmental delay and behavioural problems
Deletions and duplications of the PAFAH1B1 and YWHAE genes in 17p13.3 are associated with different clinical phenotypes. In particular, deletion of PAFAH1B1 causes isolated lissencephaly while deletions involving both PAFAH1B1 and YWHAE cause Miller-Dieker syndrome. Isolated duplications of PAFAH1B1 have been associated with mild developmental delay and hypotonia, while isolated duplications of YWHAE have been associated with autism. In particular, different dysmorphic features associated with PAFAH1B1 or YWHAE duplication have suggested the need to classify the patient clinical features in two groups according to which gene is involved in the chromosomal duplication.
We analyze the proband and his family by classical cytogenetic and array-CGH analyses. The putative rearrangement was confirmed by fluorescence in situ hybridization.
We have identified a family segregating a 17p13.3 duplication extending 329.5 kilobases by FISH and array-CGH involving the YWHAE gene, but not PAFAH1B1, affected by a mild dysmorphic phenotype with associated autism and mental retardation. We propose that BHLHA9, YWHAE, and CRK genes contribute to the phenotype of our patient. The small chromosomal duplication was inherited from his mother who was affected by a bipolar and borderline disorder and was alcohol addicted.
We report an additional familial case of small 17p13.3 chromosomal duplication including only BHLHA9, YWHAE, and CRK genes. Our observation and further cases with similar microduplications are expected to be diagnosed, and will help better characterise the clinical spectrum of phenotypes associated with 17p13.3 microduplications.
- Toyo-oka K, Shionoya A, Gambello MJ, Cardoso C, Leventer R, Ward HL, Ayala R, Tsai LH, Dobyns W, Ledbetter D, Hirotsune S, Wynshaw-Boris A: 4–3-3epsilon is important for neuronal migration by binding to NUDEL: a molecular explanation for Miller-Dieker syndrome. Nat Genet 2003, 34:274e85. CrossRef
- Østergaard JR, Graakjær J, Brandt C, Birkebæk NH: Further delineation of 17p13.3 microdeletion involving CRK. The effect of growth hormone treatment. Eur J Med Genet 2012,55(1):22–26. CrossRef
- Mignon-Ravix C, Cacciagli P, El-Waly B, Moncla A, Milh M, Girard N, Chabrol B, Philip N, Villard L: Deletion of YWHAE in a patient with periventricular heterotopias and marked corpus callosum hypoplasia. J Med Genet 2010, 47:132–136. CrossRef
- Sreenath Nagamani SC, Zhang F, Shchelochkov OA, Bi W, Ou Z, Scaglia F, Probst FJ, Shinawi M, Eng C, Hunter JV, Sparagana S, Lagoe E, Fong CT, Pearson M, Doco-Fenzy M, Landais E, Mozelle M, Chinault AC, Patel A, Bacino CA, Sahoo T, Kang SH, Cheung SW, Lupski JR, Stankiewicz P: Microdeletions including YWHAE in the Miller-Dieker syndrome region on chromosome 17p13.3 result in facial dysmorphisms, growth restriction, and cognitive impairment. J Med Genet 2009, 46:825–833. CrossRef
- Bruno DL, Anderlid BM, Lindstrand A, van Ravenswaaij-Arts C, Ganesamoorthy D, Lundin J, Martin CL, Douglas J, Nowak C, Adam MP, Kooy RF, Van der Aa N, Reyniers E, Vandeweyer G, Stolte-Dijkstra I, Dijkhuizen T, Yeung A, Delatycki M, Borgström B, Thelin L, Cardoso C, van Bon B, Pfundt R, de Vries BB, Wallin A, Amor DJ, James PA, Slater HR, Schoumans J: Further molecular and clinical delineation of co-locating 17p13.3 microdeletions and microduplications that show distinctive phenotypes. J Med Genet 2010, 47:299–311. CrossRef
- Schiff M, Delahaye A, Andrieux J, Sanlaville D, Vincent-Delorme C, Aboura A, Benzacken B, Bouquillon S, Elmaleh-Berges M, Labalme A, Passemard S, Perrin L, Manouvrier-Hanu S, Edery P, Verloes A, Drunat S: Further delineation of the 17p13.3 microdeletion involving YWHAE but distal to PAFAH1B1: four additional patients. Eur J Med Genet 2010,53(5):303–308. CrossRef
- Hyon C, Marlin S, Chantot-Bastaraud S, Mabboux P, Beaujard MP, Al Ageeli E, Vazquez MP, Picard A, Siffroi JP, Portnoï MF: A new 17p13.3 microduplication including the PAFAH1B1 and YWHAE genes resulting from an unbalanced X;17 translocation. Eur J Med Genet 2011, 54:287–291. CrossRef
- Roos L, Jonch AE, Kjaergaard S, Taudorf K, Simonsen H, Hamborg-Petersen B, Brondum-Nielsen K, Kirchhoff M: A new microduplication syndrome encompassing the region of the Miller-Dieker (17p13 deletion) syndrome. J Med Genet 2009, 46:703e10. CrossRef
- Bi W, Sapir T, Shchelochkov OA, Zhang F, Withers MA, Hunter JV, Levy T, Shinder V, Peiffer DA, Gunderson KL, Nezarati MM, Shotts VA, Amato SS, Savage SK, Harris DJ, Day-Salvatore DL, Horner M, Lu XY, Sahoo T, Yanagawa Y, Beaudet AL, Cheung SW, Martinez S, Lupski JR, Reiner O: Increased LIS1 expression affects human and mouse brain development. Nat Genet 2009, 41:168e77. CrossRef
- Armour CM, Bulman DE, Jarinova O, Rogers RC, Clarkson KB, DuPont BR, Dwivedi A, Bartel FO, McDonell L, Schwartz CE, Boycott KM, Everman DB, Graham GE: 17p13.3 microduplications are associated with split-hand/foot malformation and long-bone deficiency (SHFLD). Eur J Hum Genet 2011, 19:1144–1151. CrossRef
- Klopocki E, Lohan S, Doelken SC, Stricker S, Ockeloen CW, Soares Thiele de Aguiar R, Lezirovitz K, Mingroni Netto RC, Jamsheer A, Shah H, Kurth I, Habenicht R, Warman M, Devriendt K, Kordaß U, Hempel M, Rajab A, Mäkitie O, Naveed M, Radhakrishna U, Antonarakis SE, Horn D, Mundlos S: Duplications of BHLHA9 are associated with ectrodactyly and tibia hemimelia inherited in non-Mendelian fashion. J Med Genet 2012, 49:119–125. CrossRef
- Caspi A, Moffitt TE: Gene-environment interactions in psychiatry: joining forces with neuroscience. Nat Rev Neurosci 2006, 7:583–590. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2350/13/93/prepub
- Identification of a rare 17p13.3 duplication including the BHLHA9 and YWHAE genes in a family with developmental delay and behavioural problems
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Medical Genetics
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Familial 17p13.3 duplication syndrome
- PAFAH1B1 and YWHAE genes
- Author Affiliations
- 1. U.O. Neurochirurgia, Istituto G.Gaslini, Genova, Italy
- 2. U.O. Neuropsichiatria, Istituto G.Gaslini, Genova, Italy
- 3. Dipartimento di Neuroradiologia, Istituto G. Gaslini, Genova, Italy
- 5. Laboratorio di Citogenetica, Istituto G. Gaslini, Genova, Italy
- 4. Service of Genetic Medicine, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland