Syncytial giant cell hepatitis associated with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a case report
Syncytial giant cell hepatitis (GCH) is an uncommon and an underreported disease entity. In two previously reported cases of GCH in patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) liver failure ensued. Autoimmune and infective causes have been implicated but its etiology remains unclear.
A 60-year-old female with CLL presented with acute hepatitis with negative viral and auto-immune serologies and without any prior toxic exposure. Liver biopsy showed typical histological features of GCH. The patient was successfully treated with corticosteroids and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG). Her liver enzymes returned to baseline and have remained normal as of the last follow up almost 4 years later.
Association of GCH with CLL may be under recognized. Clinical suspicion of GCH in CLL patients with serology-negative hepatitis, early liver biopsy and therapeutic intervention may influence outcome. This is the first case report of successful treatment of GCH in CLL patients. Moreover, our case also demonstrates the ability to resume effective CLL therapy post-GCH diagnosis without detriment to the liver.
- Phillips MJ, Blendis LM, Poucell S, Offterson J, Petric M, Roberts E, Levy GA, Superina RA, Greig PD, Cameron R: Syncytial giant-cell hepatitis. Sporadic hepatitis with distinctive pathological features, a severe clinical course, and paramyxoviral features. N Engl J Med 1991, 324:455–460. CrossRef
- Thaler H: Post-infantile giant cell hepatitis. Liver. 1982, 2:393–403.
- Johnson SJ, Mathew J, MacSween RN, Bennett MK, Burt AD: Post-infantile giant cell hepatitis: histological and immunohistochemical study. J Clin Pathol 1994, 47:1022–1027. CrossRef
- Protzer U, Dienes HP, Bianchi L, Lohse AW, Helmreich-Becker I, Gerken G, Meyer zum Buschenfelde KH: Post-infantile giant cell hepatitis in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and autoimmune hepatitis. Liver 1996, 16:274–282.
- Fimmel CJ, Guo L, Compans RW, Brunt EM, Hickman S, Perrillo RR, Mason AL: A case of syncytial giant cell hepatitis with features of a paramyxoviral infection. Am J Gastroenterol 1998, 93:1931–1937. CrossRef
- Bianchi L, Terracciano LM: Giant cell hepatitis in adults. Praxis (Bern 1994) 1994, 83:1237–1241.
- Kryczka W, Zarebska-Michaluk D, Chrapek M: Assessment of selected clinical factors as predictors of response to combined interferon-alpha plus ribavirin therapy among patients with chronic hepatitis C. Med Sci Monit 2003,9(Suppl 3):32–35.
- Moreno A, Moreno A, Perez-Elias MJ, Quereda C, Fernandez-Munoz R, Antela A, Moreno L, Barcena R, Lopez-San Roman A, Celma ML, et al.: Syncytial giant cell hepatitis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with chronic hepatitis C: 2 cases and review of the literature. Hum Pathol 2006, 37:1344–1349. CrossRef
- Horsmans Y, Brenard R, Ferrant A, Lagneaux G, Geubel AP: Long-term favourable outcome of portal hypertension complicating primary systemic amyloidosis. Liver 1995, 15:332–334.
- Alexopoulou A, Deutsch M, Ageletopoulou J, Delladetsima JK, Marinos E, Kapranos N, Dourakis SP: A fatal case of postinfantile giant cell hepatitis in a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003, 15:551–555.
- Ben-Ari Z, Broida E, Monselise Y, Kazatsker A, Baruch J, Pappo O, Skappa E, Tur-Kaspa R: Syncytial giant-cell hepatitis due to autoimmune hepatitis type II (LKM1+) presenting as subfulminant hepatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2000, 95:799–801. CrossRef
- Vajro P, Migliaro F, Ruggeri C, Di Cosmo N, Crispino G, Caropreso M, Vecchione R: Life saving cyclophosphamide treatment in a girl with giant cell hepatitis and autoimmune haemolytic anaemia: case report and up-to-date on therapeutical options. Dig Liver Dis 2006, 38:846–850. CrossRef
- Lau JY, Koukoulis G, Mieli-Vergani G, Portmann BC, Williams R: Syncytial giant-cell hepatitis–a specific disease entity? J Hepatol 1992, 15:216–219. CrossRef
- Pappo O, Yunis E, Jordan JA, Jaffe R, Mateo R, Fung J, Demetris AJ: Recurrent and de novo giant cell hepatitis after orthotopic liver transplantation. Am J Surg Pathol 1994, 18:804–813. CrossRef
- Morrison VA: Management of infectious complications in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2007,40(1):332–338. CrossRef
- Pisciotta AV, Jermain LF, Hinz JE: Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, hypogammaglobulinemia and autoimmune hemolytic anemia–an experiment of nature. Blood 1960, 15:748–757.
- CLL Trialists' Collaborative Group: Chemotherapeutic options in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a meta-analysis of the randomized trials. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999, 91:861–868. CrossRef
- Nishida H, Murase T, Ueno H, Park JW, Yano T, Ikeda Y: Fludarabine-associated autoimmune hemolytic anemia occurring in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Res 2006, 30:1589–1590. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2326/12/8/prepub
- Syncytial giant cell hepatitis associated with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a case report
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
BMC Blood Disorders
- Online Date
- July 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, St John Hospital and Medical Center, Detroit, MI, 48236, USA
- 2. Department of Pathology, St John Hospital and Medical Center, Detroit, MI, 48236, USA
- 3. Van Elslander Cancer Center, St John Hospital and Medical Center, 19229 Mack Avenue, Suite #36, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, 48236, USA