Consumer evaluations of corporate brand redeployments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There has been little attention paid to the management of corporate brand names as part of the merger and acquisition process. As an initial step towards developing a better understanding of this brand redeployment decision the authors consider the reactions of one important stakeholder group—consumers—to alternative strategies. Specifically, the authors discuss the importance of the corporate branding decision in the M&A process and present a typology of alternative redeployment strategies as well as an exploratory study examining reactions to different postmerger branding strategies. The authors find evidence that the brand equity related to corporate brands is often decreased as a result of M&A activities and that individuals react differently to mergers employing different redeployment strategies. These results emphasize the need for firms to evaluate the corporate branding component of M&A activities as part of the process of managing corporate brands and should generate interest and research in this managerially relevant area.
- Aaker, David A. 1996a.Building Strong Brands. New York: Free Press.
- —. 1996b. “Measuring Brand Equity Across Products and Markets.”California Management Review 28 (3): 102–120.
- — and Kevin L. Keller. 1990. “Consumer Evaluations of Brand Extensions.”Journal of Marketing 54 (January): 27–41. CrossRef
- Balmer, John M. T. and Keith Dinnie. 1999. “Corporate Identity and Corporate Communications: The Antidote to Merger Madness.”Corporate Communications: An International Journal 4 (4): 182–192. CrossRef
- Berens, Guido, Cees B. M. van Riel, and Gerrit H. van Bruggen. 2005. “Corporate Associations and Consumer Product Responses: The Moderating Role of Corporate Brand Dominance.”Journal of Marketing 69 (July): 35–48. CrossRef
- Berry, C. H. 1975.Corporate Growth and Diversification. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Bosch, J. C. and Mark Hirschey. 1989. “The Valuation Effects of Corporate Name Changes.”Financial Management 18 (Winter): 64–73. CrossRef
- Boush, David M. and Barbara Loken. 1991. “A Process-Tracing Study of Brand Extension Evaluation.”Journal of Marketing Research 28 (February): 16–28. CrossRef
- Broniarczyk, Susan M. and Joseph W. Alba. 1994. “The Importance of Brand in Brand Extension.”Journal of Marketing Research 31 (May): 214–228. CrossRef
- Brown, Tom J. and Peter A. Dacin. 1997. “The Company and the Product: Corporate Associations and Consumer Product Responses.”Journal of Marketing 61 (January): 68–84. CrossRef
- ——, Michael G. Pratt, and David A. Whetten. 2006. “Identity, Intended Image, Construed Image, and Reputation: An Interdisciplinary Framework and Suggested Terminology.”Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 34(2): 99–106. CrossRef
- Capron, Laurence and John Hulland. 1999. “Redeployment of Brands, Sales Forces, and General Marketing Management Expertise Following Horizontal Acquisitions: A Resource-Based View.”Journal of Marketing 63 (1): 41–54. CrossRef
- Dacin, Peter A. and Tom J. Brown. 2002. “Corporate Identity and Corporate Associations: A Framework for Future Research.”Corporate Reputation Review 5 (2/3): 254–263. CrossRef
- Datta, D. K. 1993. “Organizational Fit and Acquisitional Performance: Effects of Post-Acquisition Integration.”Strategic Management Journal 12 (4): 281–297. CrossRef
- Dawar, Niraj and Paul F. Anderson. 1994. “The Effects of Order and Direction on Multiple Brand Extensions.”Journal of Business Research 30:119–129. CrossRef
- Dowling, Grahame R. 1986. “Managing Your Corporate Images.”Industrial Marketing Management 15 (May): 109–115. CrossRef
- Enterprise IG. 2001. “Corporations Changed Name More Than Ever in 2000.”Business Wire January 11.
- Fan, Joseph O. H. and Larry H. P. Yang 2000. “The Measurement of Relatedness: An Application to Corporate Diversification.”Journal of Business 73 (4): 629–660. CrossRef
- Ferris, S. P. 1988. “The Effect of Corporate Name Changes in Shareholder Wealth.”Journal of Applied Business Research 4 (Summer): 78–89.
- Friedman, Josh. 2000. “Any Value for Investors in Corporate Name Change?”The Los Angeles Times September 26:C6.
- Gregory, James R. 1999. “Branding the Merger, Merging the Brand.”Business Week. Available at http://www.corebrand.com/forum/ downloads/bw_branding_the_merger.pdf
- Gurhan-Canli, Zeynep and Rajeev Batra. 2004. “When Corporate Image Affects Product Evaluations: The Moderating Role of Perceived Risk.”Journal of Marketing Research 41 (May): 197–205. CrossRef
- Hastie, Reid and Bernadette Park. 1986. “The Relationship Between Memory and Judgment Depends on Whether the Judgment Task Is Memory-Based or Online.”Psychological Review 93:258–268. CrossRef
- Horsky, Dan and P. Swyngedouw. 1987. “Does It Pay to Change Your Company’s Name? A Stock Market Perspective.”Marketing Science 6 (4): 320–333. CrossRef
- Howe, John S. 1982. “A Rose by Any Other Name? A Note on Corporate Name Changes.”Financial Review 17 (4): 271–278. CrossRef
- Jaju, Anupam and Srinivas K. Reddy. 2005. “Determinants of Corporate Brand Redeployments Subsequent to Mergers & Acquisitions.” Working Paper. George Mason University.
- Kardes, Frank R. and G. Kalyanaram. 1992. “Order of Entry Effects on Consumer Memory and Judgment—An Information Integration Perspective.”Journal of Marketing Research 29 (3): 343–357. CrossRef
- Kapferer, Jean-Noel. 1997.Strategic Brand Management: Creating and Sustaining Brand Equity Long Term. London: Kogan Page.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M. and Graeme Rankine. 1994. “In Search of Signaling Effect: The Wealth Effects of Corporate Name Changes.”Journal of Banking and Finance 18 (6): 1027–1045. CrossRef
- Keller, Kevin Lane. 1993. “Conceptualizing, Measuring, and Managing Customer-Based Brand Equity.”Journal of Marketing 57 (January): 1–22. CrossRef
- —. 1998.Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kumar, Shailendra and Kristiane Hansted Blomqvist. 2004. “Mergers and Acquisitions: Making Brand Equity a Key Factor in M&A Decision-Making.”Strategy & Leadership 32 (2): 20–27. CrossRef
- Levin, Irwin P. and Aron M. Levin. 2000. “Modeling the Role of Brand Alliances in the Assimilation of Product Evaluations.”Journal of Consumer Psychology 9 (1): 43–52. CrossRef
- Mann, Jennifer. 2004. “Sprint Nextel Faces Tough Marketing Decisions.”Knight Ridder Tribune Business News 16 (December): 1.
- Mercer Management Consulting. 1997.Report on Mergers and Acquisitions. Boston: Mercer Management Consulting.
- Park, C. Whan, Sandra J. Milberg, and Robert Lawson. 1991. “Evaluation of Brand Extensions: The Role of Product Level Similarity and Brand Concept Consistency.”Journal of Consumer Research 18 (September): 185–193. CrossRef
- Rao, Akshay R. and Robert W. Ruekert. 1994. “Brand Alliances as Signals of Product Quality.”Sloan Management Review 36 (1): 87–97.
- —, Lu Qu, and Robert W. Ruekert. 1999. “Signaling Unobservable Product Quality Through a Brand Ally.”Journal of Marketing Research 36 (2): 258–268. CrossRef
- Rock, L. and R. H. Rock. 1990.Corporate Restructuring. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Rodrigue, Christina S. and Abhijit Biswas. 2004. “Brand Alliance Dependency and Exclusivity: An Empirical Investigation.”Journal of Product & Brand Management 13 (7): 477–487. CrossRef
- Sampson, Peter. 2003. “Mathematic of Mergers.”Change Management Online. Available at http://www.changemanagementonline.co.uk/ pr58.html
- Seth, A. 1990. “Value Creation in Acquisitions: A Reexamination of Performance Issues.”Strategic Management Journal 11 (2): 99–115. CrossRef
- Simonin, Bernard L. and Julie A. Ruth. 1998. “Is a Company Known by the Company It Keeps? Assessing the Spillover Effects of Brand Alliances on Consumer Brand Attitudes.”Journal of Marketing Research 35 (February): 30–42. CrossRef
- Smith, Daniel C. and C. Whan Park. 1992. “The Effects of Brand Extensions on Market Share and Advertising Efficiency.”Journal of Marketing Research 29 (August): 296–313. CrossRef
- Steiner, P. O. 1975.Mergers: Motives, Effects and Policies. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Stern, Barbara, George M. Zinkhan, and Anupam Jaju. 2001. “Images in Marketing: Congruence of Store, Brand and Corporate Images.”Marketing Theory 1 (2): 201–224. CrossRef
- Washburn, Judith R, Brian D. Till, and Randi Priluck. 2004. “Brand Alliance and Customer-Based Brand-Equity Effects.”Psychology & Marketing 21 (7): 487–508. CrossRef
- Webster, Frederick E., Jr. and Kevin Lane Keller. 2004. “A Roadmap for Branding in Industrial Markets.”Brand Management 11 (5): 388–402. CrossRef
- Yunker, James A. 1983.Integrating Acquisitions: Making Corporate Marriages Work. New York: Praeger.
- Consumer evaluations of corporate brand redeployments
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 206-215
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- brand redeployments
- merger and acquisitions
- consumer evaluations
- corporate brand name changes
- Industry Sectors