Can One Portfolio Measure the Six ACGME General Competencies?
- Robert M. JarvisAffiliated withDepartment of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Email author
- , Patricia S. O’SullivanAffiliated withDepartment of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- , Tina McClainAffiliated withDepartment of Veterans Affairs
- , James A. ClardyAffiliated withDepartment of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective: To determine that portfolios, useable by any program, can provide needed evidence of resident performance within the ACGME general competencies. Methods: Eighteen residents constructed portfolios with selected entries from thirteen psychiatric skills. Two raters assessed whether entries reflected resident performance within the general competencies. They indicated no (0), some (1), or definite evidence (2) for each competency. Median scores were reported by competency and psychiatric skill. Results: Eighty entries were rated: 100% of the psychiatric skills reflected some evidence for medical knowledge; 92% provided some evidence for patient care, communication and interpersonal skills, and professionalism; 77% provided some evidence for systems-based practice, and 31% provided some evidence for practice-based learning. Ten of the 13 skills reflected evidence for at least five of the competencies. Conclusions: Any combination of five entries reflects all competencies with the exception of practice-based learning. This deficit can be corrected with revision of portfolio guidelines.
- Can One Portfolio Measure the Six ACGME General Competencies?
Volume 28, Issue 3 , pp 190-196
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham, Slot 589, Little Rock, Arkansas, 72205, USA
- 2. Department of Veterans Affairs, North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA