Trainees as Teachers in Team-Based Learning
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Team-based learning is an active learning modality that is gaining popularity in medical education. The authors studied the effect of using trainees as facilitators of team-based learning sessions.
Team-based learning modules were developed and implemented by faculty members and trainees for the third-year medical student clerkship in psychiatry in the 2007–2008 academic year. Evaluation forms were used to elicit student opinions about the team-based learning sessions. Scores for trainee and faculty facilitators were compared using Student’s t tests.
Overall scores were positive, reflecting acceptability of this form of instruction. Eight of nine comparisons showed no difference in students’ ratings of faculty versus trainee facilitators. The other comparison showed a modest preference for faculty facilitators.
Team-based learning modules can be led as effectively by trainees as by faculty members to teach medical students in the classroom setting.
- Morrison EH, Hollingshead J, Hubbell FA, et al: Reach out and teach someone: generalist residents’ needs for teaching skills development. Fam Med 2002; 34:445–450
- Ning A, Gottleib D, Lamdan RM: The chief resident for education: description of a novel academic teaching position. Acad Psychiatry 2009; 33:163–165 CrossRef
- Houghtalen RP, Olivares T, Greene Y, et al: Residents’ morning report in psychiatry training: description of a model and a survey of resident attitudes. Acad Psychiatry 2002; 26:9–16 CrossRef
- Michaelsen LK, Parmelee DX, McMahon KK, et al: Team-Based Learning for Health Professions Education. Sterling, Va, Stylus Publishing, 2008
- Levine RE, O’Boyle M, Haidet P, et al: Transforming a clinical clerkship with team learning. Teach Learn Med 2004; 16:270–275 CrossRef
- Thompson BM, Schneider VF, Haidet P, et al: Factors influencing implementation of team-based learning in health sciences education. Acad Med 2007; 82(suppl):S52–56 CrossRef
- Trainees as Teachers in Team-Based Learning
Volume 34, Issue 4 , pp 294-297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links