Increasing the Rate of Return of Resident Rotation Evaluations by Their Attending Physicians in an In-Patient Psychiatric Facility
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Psychiatrist’s evaluations of residents are the primary means of determining whether the residents are ready to be promoted. However, the return rate for evaluations is quite low. The purpose of this study was to increase the return rates.
Feedback from two surveys and open discussion was utilized to develop and implement a system for increasing completion rates. Completion rates before and after the intervention were compared.
The survey revealed that the initial evaluation form was too complex and not readily available. In addition, participants indicated that reminders would be helpful for increasing compliance. Completion rates were 48% and 80% for the 4 months prior and after the intervention, respectively.
Addressing the problem and implementing suggested strategies increased completion rates significantly. However, it is unclear which strategy was most associated with the change. Future directions will focus on determining whether gains will be maintained and what would be necessary to obtain 100% compliance rates.
- Beresin E, Mellman L: Competencies in psychiatry: the new outcomes-based approach to the medical training and education. Harvard Rev Psychiatr 2002; 10: 185–191 CrossRef
- Clarke DM: Measuring the quality of supervision and the training experience in psychiatry. Aust NZ J of Psychiatry 1999; 33: 248–252 CrossRef
- Bienenfeld D, Klykylo W, Lehrer D: Closing the loop: assessing the effectiveness of psychiatric competency measures. Acad Psychiatry 2003; 27: 131–135 CrossRef
- Archinard M, Dumont P, de Tonnac N: Guidelines and evaluation: improving the quality of consultation-liaison psychiatry. Psychosomatics 2005; 46: 425–430 CrossRef
- Yudkowsky R: Can resident evaluations demonstrate increases in residents’ skills over time? Acad Med 1999; 74: s108–s110 CrossRef
- Littlefield J, Terrell C: Improving the quality of resident performance appraisals. Acad Med 1997; 72: s45–s47 CrossRef
- Increasing the Rate of Return of Resident Rotation Evaluations by Their Attending Physicians in an In-Patient Psychiatric Facility
Volume 31, Issue 6 , pp 439-442
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Harris County Psychiatric Center, 2800 South MacGregor Way, Houston, Texas, 77021, USA
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA