Society for Women in Academic Psychiatry: A Peer Mentoring Approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Despite an increasing presence of women in medicine, the percentage of women in academic psychiatry remains low. At the University of California, Davis, women represent two-thirds of psychiatry residents; however, the percentage of female faculty is one-third. This article presents a novel approach to the academic gender gap problem.
The Society for Women in Academic Psychiatry (S.WA.P.) is a peer mentoring group founded by junior women faculty.
S.W.A.P. results to date include educational products, departmental demographic changes, and climate improvement.
Although results are encouraging, more effort is needed to achieve a true culture change.
- Women in U.S. Academic Medicine Statistics and Medical School Benchmarking 2005–2006. Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC
- Bickel, J (2004) Women in academic psychiatry. Acad Psychiatry 28: pp. 285-291 CrossRef
- Handelsman, J, Cantor, N, Carnes, M (2005) More women in science. Science 309: pp. 1190-1191 CrossRef
- Carr, PL, Ash, A, Friedman, R (2000) Faculty perceptions of gender discrimination and sexual harassment in academic medicine. Ann Intern Med 132: pp. 889-896 CrossRef
- Palepu, A, Herbert, CP (2002) Medical women in academia: the silences we keep. Can Med Assoc J 167: pp. 877-879
- Bickel, J (2000) Women in Medicine: Getting in, Growing, and Advancing. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, Calif
- Daniell, E (2006) Every Other Thursday. Yale University Press, New Haven
- Pololi, L, Knight, S (2005) Mentoring faculty in academic medicine. J Gen Intern Med 20: pp. 866-870 CrossRef
- Bussey-Jones, J, Bernstein, L, Higgins, S (2006) Repaving the road to success: the IMeRGE approach to peer mentoring. Acad Med 81: pp. 674-679 CrossRef
- Lim, RF, Primm, AB, Hilty, DM Strategies for women, minorities, and other underrepresented faculty. In: Roberts, LW, Hilty, DM eds. (2006) Handbook of Career Development in Academic Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, Va, pp. 23-33
- Society for Women in Academic Psychiatry: A Peer Mentoring Approach
Volume 31, Issue 5 , pp 363-366
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links