Psychiatry in Medicine: Five Years of Experience With an Innovative Required Fourth-Year Medical School Course
- Dr. Peter J. Halperin M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The author reports on a required fourth-year course, Psychiatry in Medicine, which was started in 1999 at Stony Brook Medical School. The aim was to address two important concerns in medical education at Stony Brook and throughout the United States: 1) the failure to recognize psychiatric pathology in outpatient medical settings and 2) the lack of education about psychosomatic medicine.
Details about the creation, implementation, and content of the course are presented along with student evaluations and assessment after 5 years.
Eighty five percent of students felt the course would benefit their careers, and they indicated that their clinical behavior would be changed by the course.
Findings indicate that it is both viable and valuable for medical schools to create courses similar to Psychiatry in Medicine. It is argued that the fourth year is especially fertile ground for such a course.
- Rosenthal, RH, Levine, RE, Carlson, DL (2005) The “shrinking” clerkship: characteristics and length of clerkships in psychiatry undergraduate education. Acad Psychiatry 29: pp. 47-51 CrossRef
- Schulberg, HC, Burns, BJ (1988) Mental disorders in primary care: epidemiologic, diagnostic, and treatment research directions. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 10: pp. 79-87 CrossRef
- Klamen, DL, Sandlow, L (1996) Restructuring the role of psychiatry in medical education. Acad Med 71: pp. 1030-1031 CrossRef
- Klamen, DL, Miller, NS (1997) Undergraduate medical education in psychiatry and primary care. Psychiatr Annals 27: pp. 436-439
- Gay, TL, Himle, JA, Riba, MB (2002) Enhanced ambulatory experience for the clerkship curriculum innovation at the University of Michigan. Acad Psychiatry 26: pp. 90-95 CrossRef
- Waldstein, SR, Neumann, SA, Drossman, DA (2001) Teaching psychosomatic (biopsychosocial) medicine in United States medical schools: survey findings. Psychosom Med 63: pp. 335-343
- Novack, DH (2003) Realizing Engel’s vision: psychosomatic medicine and the education of physician Dhealers. Psychosom Med 65: pp. 925-930 CrossRef
- Lafarge S, Hylnsky D, Goldberg R: I have cancer. (Video) American Academy on Physician and Patient. www.physicianpatient.org
- Drossman D, Retchin S: Doctor, what’s wrong with me? Video (35 minutes) American Academy on Physician and Patient. www.physicianpatient.org
- Edson, M: Wit. New York, N.Y, Faber & Faber: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1999
- Psychiatry in Medicine: Five Years of Experience With an Innovative Required Fourth-Year Medical School Course
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 120-125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, Stony Brook Medical School, 109 Putnam Hall, Stony Brook, New York, 11794-8790, USA