The OSCE Has Landed: One Small Step for British Psychiatry?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the United Kingdom (UK), an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) has replaced the individual patient assessment (IPA) for part 1 of the membership examination of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych). The authors’ assessment of the OSCE was conducted.
Residents completed and evaluated an OSCE designed according to guidelines set by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
These residents considered the OSCE fair (86%) and appropriate (89%) in assessing clinical ability. They believed that the OSCE reflected the skills required in clinical practice and found it preferable to the IPA.
The OSCE received positive evaluation from residents.
- Harden RM, Stevenson M, Downie WW, et al: Assessment of clinical competence using objective structured clinical examination. BMJ 1975; 1: 447–451 CrossRef
- Hodges B, Hanson M, McNaughton N, et al: What do psychiatry residents think of an OSCE? Acad Psychiatry 1999; 23: 198–204
- Sloan DA, Donnelly MB, Schwartz RW, et al: The objective structured clinical examination: the new gold standard for evaluation of postgraduate clinical performance. Annal Surgery 1995; 222: 735–742 CrossRef
- Hodges B, Lofchy J: Evaluating psychiatric clinical clerks with a mini-objective structured clinical examination. Acad Psychiatry 1997; 21: 219–225
- Hodges B, Regehr G, Hanson M, et al: Validation of an objective structured clinical examination in psychiatry. Acad Med 1998; 73: 910–912 CrossRef
- Hodges B, Hanson M, McNaughton BA, et al: Creating, monitoring, and improving a psychiatry OSCE: a guide for faculty. Acad Psychiatry 2002; 26: 134–161 CrossRef
- Leichner P, Sisler GC, Harper D: A study of the reliability of the clinical oral examination in psychiatry. Can J Psychiatry 1984; 29: 394–397
- Leichner P, Sisler GC, Harper D: The clinical oral examination in psychiatry: the patient variable. Annals of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada 1986; 19: 283–284
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists. http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traindev/exams/regulation/osce1.htm
- Hodges B, Regehr G, Hanson M, et al: An objective structured clinical examination for evaluating psychiatric clinical clerks. Acad Med 1997; 72: 715–721 CrossRef
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists. http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traindev/exams/regulation/part2Changes.htm
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists. http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traindev/exams/index.htm#pass.htm
- The OSCE Has Landed: One Small Step for British Psychiatry?
Volume 29, Issue 3 , pp 310-315
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Psychiatry and Maudsley Hospital, Psychological Medicine (P070), De Crespigny Park, London, UK
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- 3. Department of Psychiatry, Guy’s Hospital, London, UK