Do regions matter in ALICE?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study aims at investigating the impact of regional affiliations of centres on the organisation of collaborations within the Distributed Computing ALICE infrastructure, based on social networks methods. A self-administered questionnaire was sent to all centre managers about support, email interactions and wished collaborations in the infrastructure. Several additional measures, stemming from technical observations were collected, such as bandwidth, data transfers and Internet Round Trip Time (RTT) were also included. Information for 50 centres were considered (about 70% response rate). Empirical analysis shows that despite the centralisation on CERN, the network is highly organised by regions. The results are discussed in the light of policy and efficiency issues.
- S. Wasserman, K. Faust, Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1994).
- Worldwide Large Hadron Collider Computing Grid, http://lcg.web.cern.ch/LCG/public last updated on 05-10-2010.
- E.D. Widmer, F. Carminati, C. Grigoras, G. Galli Carminati, Proceedings of the 13th International Workshop on Advanced Computing and Analysis Techniques in Physics Research, ACAT2010, Jaipur (PoS, 2010).
- R. Burt, The social capital of structural holes (Russel Sage Foundation, New York, 2001).
- J. Scott, Social Network Analysis (Sage, London, 2000).
- S. Borgatti, M.G. Everett, L.C. Freeman, Ucinet 6 for Windows. Software for social network analysis (Technical report, 2002).
- L.J. Hubert J. Schultz, Br. J. Math. Stat. Psychol. 29, 190 (1976). CrossRef
- The MONARC Project, http://monarc.web.cern.ch/MONARC last updated on 13-01-2000.
- Do regions matter in ALICE?
The European Physical Journal Plus
- Online Date
- February 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dpt. of Sociology, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
- 3. CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2. Units of Mental Development Psychiatry, Department of Mental Health and Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland