Spatial relation between the tidal component of seismic noise and development zones of strong earthquakes (from long-term regular observations on the Kamchatka Peninsula)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The results of long-term studies of seismic noise before strong regional earthquakes on the Kamchatka Peninsula in 1992–2006 are presented. These results show that parameters of seismic noise variations caused by the tidal effect depend on the source position of the forthcoming earthquake. The reproducibility of the observed effects is demonstrated by the example of two strong deep (∼200 km) subduction earthquakes with similar parameters that occurred on June 16, 2003 (M = 6.9), and on June 10, 2004 (M = 6.8). The physical mechanism of the synchronization of the tidal component extracted from high-frequency seismic noise with the wave of the gravitational tidal potential can be related to the possible development of near-surface dilatancy zones.
- A. S. Alekseev, A. S. Belonosov, and V. E. Petrenko, “A Multidisciplinary Approach to Earthquake Prediction Using an Integrated Precursor,” in Computational Seismology, Vol. 32: Problems of Lithosphere Dynamics and Seismicity (GEOS, Moscow, 2001), pp. 81–97 [in Russian].
- A. S. Belyakov, A. G. Gamburtsev, V. S. Lavrov, et al., “Vibration Action on Rocks and Their Induced Seismic Emission,” Fiz. Zemli, No. 2, 68–74 (1996) [Izvestiya, Phys. Solid Earth 32, 149–155 (1996)].
- I. A. Berestnev and A. V. Nikolaev, “Propagation of Long Vibrational Signals in a Geophysical Medium,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Zemli, No. 1, 86–89 (1990).
- L. M. Bogomolov, B. Ts. Manzhikov, V. N. Sychev, et al., “Vibroelasticity, Acoustoplastics, and Acoustic Emission of Loaded Rocks,” Geol. Geofiz. 42(10), 1678–1689 (2001).
- V. N. Chebrov, N. P. Voropaeva, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. A. Saltykov, “A Versatile Microcontroller for Geophysical Studies,” in Seismic Instruments (OIFZ RAN, Moscow, 1997), Vol. 28, pp. 26–30 [in Russian].
- B. P. Diakonov, B. S. Karryev, O. B. Khavroshkin, et al., “Manifestation of Earth Deformation Processes by High-Frequency Seismic Noise Characteristics,” Phys. Earth Planet. Int. 63(3–4), 151–162 (1990). CrossRef
- S. A. Fedotov, A. A. Gusev, G. V. Chernysheva, and L. S. Shumilina, “The Kamchatka Seismic Focal Zone: Geometry, Distribution of Earthquake Sources, and Their Relation to Volcanism,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 4, 91–107 (1985).
- S. A. Fedotov, L. S. Shumilina, and G. V. Chernysheva, “Seismicity of Kamchatka and Komandorskie Islands from Data of Detailed Studies,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 6, 29–60 (1987).
- E. I. Galperin, N. V. Petersen, A. V. Sitnikov, and L. P. Vinnik, “On the Properties of Short-Period Seismic Noise,” Phys. Earth Planet. Int. 63(3–4), 163–171 (1990). CrossRef
- L. I. Gontovaya and I. V. Nizkous, “Seismic Heterogeneity of the Lithosphere in the Junction Zone of the Kurile-Kamchatka and Aleutian Island Arcs,” in Proc. Conf. Devoted to Volcanologist’s Day, March 30–April 1, 2005 (IViS DVO RAN, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, 2005), pp. 175–183 [in Russian].
- A. Gorbatov, V. Kostoglodov, G. Suares, and E. Gordeev, “Seismicity and Structure of the Kamchatka Subduction Zone,” J. Geophys. Res. 102(B8), 17 883–17 898 (1997). CrossRef
- A. Gorbatov, J. Dominguez, G. Suarez, et al., “Tomographic Imaging of the P-Wave Velocity Structure beneath the Kamchatka Peninsula,” Geophys. J. Int. 137(10), 269–279 (1999). CrossRef
- E. I. Gordeev, Yu. Yu. Mel’nikov, V. N. Chebrov, and S. A. Shevchenko, “The Foreshock-Aftershock Process of the Kamchatka Earthquake of August 17, 1983,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 3, 81–96 (1987).
- E. I. Gordeev, V. A. Saltykov, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. N. Chebrov, “On the Relation of High-Frequency Seismic Noise to Lunisolar Tides,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk 340(3), 386–388 (1995).
- E. I. Gordeev, V. A. Saltykov, and Yu. K. Serafimova, “The Kamchatka Division of the Federal Center of Earthquake Prediction,” in Combined Seismological and Geophysical Investigations in the Kamchatka Region (Kamchatskii Pechatnyi Dvor, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, 2004), pp. 202–215 [in Russian].
- V. S. Kuksenko, “Diagnosis and Prediction of Fracture of Large-Scale Objects,” Fiz. Tverd. Tela 47(5), 788–792 (2005).
- V. S. Kuksenko, B. Ts. Manzhikov, K. Tilegenov, et al., “Trigger Effect of Weak Vibrations in Solids,” Fiz. Tverd. Tela 45(12), 2182–2186 (2003).
- A. I. Lutikov, “Estimating the Effective Influence Radius of Endogenous Macroseismic Noise,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 4, 111–115 (1992).
- B. Ts. Manzhikov, “Synchronization of Acoustic Emission during Deformation of Rocks in the Field of Low Frequency Vibrations,” in Physical Foundations of Rock Fracture Prediction: Proc. 1st Int. Workshop, Krasnoyarsk, September 9–15, 2001 (Krasnoyarsk, 2002), pp. 42–47 [in Russian].
- P. Melchior, The Earth Tides (Oxford, 1966; Mir, Moscow, 1968).
- K. A. Mirzoev, S. D. Vinogradov, and Z. Ruzibaev, “Acoustic Emission Effect of Microseisms and Vibrations,” Fiz. Zemli, No. 12, 69–72 (1991).
- G. M. Molchan and O. E. Dmitrieva, “Identification of Aftershocks: A Review and New Approaches,” in Computational Seismology (1991), Vol. 24, 19–50 [in Russian].
- A. V. Nikolaev, “Problems of Induced Seismicity,” in Induced Seismicity (Nauka, Moscow, 1994), pp. 5–15 [in Russian].
- I. V. Nizkous, I. A. Sanina, E. Kissling, and L. I. Gontovaya, “Velocity Properties of the Lithosphere in the Ocean-Continent Transition Zone in the Kamchatka Region from Seismic Tomography Data,” Fiz. Zemli, No. 4, 18–29 (2006) [Izvestiya, Phys. Solid Earth 42, 286–296 (2006)].
- M. V. Rodkin, “Seismicity Variations with Depth: New Empirical Relations and Their Interpretation,” Fiz. Zemli, No. 10, 63–72 (2004) [Izvestiya, Phys. Solid Earth 40, 840–848 (2004)].
- L. N. Rykunov, O. B. Khavroshkin, and V. V. Tsyplakov, Instrumentation and Methods for Studying Weak Seismic Effects, in Preprint of All-Union Inst. Sci. Technol. Inform., Moscow, 1978, no. 2919-78, p. 31 [in Russian].
- L. N. Rykunov, V. A. Saltykov, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. N. Chebrov, “Characteristic Parameters of High-Frequency Seismic Noise before Kamchatka Strong Earthquakes of 1996,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk 361(3), 402–404 (1998).
- M. A. Sadovsky, K. M. Mirzoev, S. Kh. Negmatullaev, and N. G. Salomov, “Effect of Mechanical Vibrations on Plastic Deformations of Materials,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Zemli, No. 6, 32–42 (1981).
- M. A. Sadovsky, L. G. Bolkhovitinov, and V. F. Pisarenko, Deformation of a Geophysical Medium and the Seismic Process (Nauka, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian].
- V. A. Saltykov, “Aftershocks of Deep Earthquakes in the Kamchatka-Aleutian Junction Zone,” in Linkages among Tectonics, Seismicity, Magma Genesis, and Eruption in Volcanic Arcs. IV International Biennial Workshop on Subduction Processes Emphasizing the Japan-Kurile-Kamchatka-Aleutian Arcs. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski. August 21–27, 2004 (2004), pp. 166–168.
- V. A. Saltykov, “Relation between High-Frequency Seismic Noise and Lunisolar Tides,” Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk 341(3), 406–407 (1995).
- V. A. Saltykov, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. N. Chebrov, “Variations in the Tidal Component of High Frequency Noise Due to Changes in the Stress State of a Medium,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 4, 73–83 (1997a).
- V. A. Saltykov, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. N. Chebrov, “High-Frequency Seismic Noise from Monitoring in Kamchatka,” Fiz. Zemli, No. 3, 39–47 (1997b) [Izvestiya, Phys. Solid Earth 33, 205–212, (1997b)].
- A. V. Saltykov, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. N. Chebrov, RF Inventor’s Certificate no. 94 042 027/25, Byull. Izobret., 1998a, no. 5.
- V. A. Saltykov, V. I. Sinitsyn, and V. N. Chebrov, “The Use of High-Frequency Seismic Noise for Medium-Term Prediction of Strong Kamchatka Earthquakes,” in The Kronotskii (Kamchatka) Earthquake of December 5, 1997: Precursors, Specific Features, and Consequences (KGARF, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, 1998b), pp. 99–105 [in Russian].
- V. A. Saltykov, V. N. Chebrov, V. I. Sinitsyn, et al., “Network of Stations Recording High-Frequency Seismic Noise,” in Combined Seismological and Geophysical Investigations in the Kamchatka Region (Kamchatskii Pechatnyi Dvor, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, 2004), pp. 136–151 [in Russian].
- M. G. Serebrennikov and A. A. Pervozvanskii, Influence of Hidden Periodicities (Nauka, Moscow, 1965) [in Russian].
- G. A. Sobolev and A. V. Ponomarev, Earthquake Physics and Precursors (Nauka, Moscow, 2003 [in Russian].
- O. I. Suprunenko, T. A. Andieva, and P. N. Safronov, “Kronotsko-Krutogorovskaya Zone of E-W Trending Faults on Kamchatka,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 209(6), 1398–1401 (1973).
- Yu. A. Trapeznikov, B. Ts. Manzhikov, and L. M. Bogomolov, “Effect of Weak Vibrations on Deformation of Rocks under a Constant Load,” Vulkanol. Seismol., No. 1, 66–71 (2000).
- S. N. Zhurkov, “Kinetic Concept of the Strength of Solids,” Vestn. Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 3, 46–52 (1968).
- Spatial relation between the tidal component of seismic noise and development zones of strong earthquakes (from long-term regular observations on the Kamchatka Peninsula)
Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth
Volume 43, Issue 9 , pp 754-765
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors