Surface-to-volume wave conversion in shallow water with a corrugated bottom
- O. A. Godin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Acoustic transmission between points onshore or in very shallow water and points in deep water is strongly influenced by the shear rigidity of marine sediments, which control the parameters and the very existence of seismoacoustic surface waves. Previously, it was found that coupling between acoustic modes and the seismoacoustic surface waves is normally weak, although not negligible in the case of a gently sloping seafloor and soft sediments. In this paper, the previous work is extended by accounting for the small-scale roughness of the seafloor. The significant role of roughness in coupling between volume and surface waves is demonstrated. The combined effect of bottom topography, roughness, and wave attenuation in soft marine sediments on the sound propagation between points in shallow and deep water is discussed.
- A. D. Pierce, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 72, 523 (1982). CrossRef
- A. D. Pierce, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 74, 1837 (1983). CrossRef
- L. M. Brekhovskikh and O. A. Godin, Acoustics of Layered Media. II: Point Sources and Bounded Beams, 2nd ed. (Springer, Berlin, 1999).
- O. A. Godin, Akust. Zh. 53, 809 (2007) [Acoust. Phys. 53, 714 (2007)].
- Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Ed. by M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun (National Bureau of Standards, Washington, 1964; Nauka, Moscow, 1979).
- O. A. Godin and D. M. F. Chapman, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 110, 1890 (2001). CrossRef
- D. M. F. Chapman and O. A. Godin, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 110, 1908 (2001). CrossRef
- Surface-to-volume wave conversion in shallow water with a corrugated bottom
Volume 54, Issue 3 , pp 346-352
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- O. A. Godin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. CIRES, University of Colorado at Boulder and NOAA / Earth System Research Laboratory, Boulder, CO, 80305, USA