Tangent plane approximation and some of its generalizations
- A. G. Voronovich
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A review of the tangent plane approximation proposed by L.M. Brekhovskikh is presented. The advantage of the tangent plane approximation over methods based on the analysis of integral equations for surface sources is emphasized. A general formula is given for the scattering amplitude of scalar plane waves under an arbitrary boundary condition. The direct generalization of the tangent plane approximation is shown to yield approximations that include a correct description of the Bragg scattering and allow one to avoid the use of a two-scale model.
- L. M. Brekhovskikh, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 79, 585 (1951).
- B. F. Kur’yanov, Akust. Zh. 8, 325 (1962) [Sov. Phys. Acoust. 8, 252 (1962)].
- I. M. Fuks, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz. 9, 876 (1966).
- G. R. Valenzuela, Radio Sci. 3, 1057 (1968).
- A. G. Voronovich, Waves Random Media 6, 151 (2002). CrossRef
- A. G. Voronovich, in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Mathematical and Numerical Aspects of Wave Propagation, Golden, CO, 1998, pp. 84–88.
- A. G. Voronovich, in Light Scattering and Nanoscale Roughness, Ed. by A. A. Maradudin (Springer, New York, 2006), pp. 35–60.
- A. G. Voronovich, in Light Scattering and Nanoscale Roughness, Ed. by A. A. Maradudin (Springer, New York, 2006), pp. 93–106.
- A. G. Voronovich, Wave Scattering from Rough Surfaces, 2nd ed. (Springer, Berlin, 1999), p. 236.
- Yu. P. Lysanov, Akust. Zh. 2, 182 (1956) [Sov. Phys. Acoust. 2, 190 (1956)].
- W. C. Meecham, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 28, 370 (1956). CrossRef
- A. G. Voronovich, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 89, 116 (1985) [Sov. Phys. JETP 62, 65 (1985)].
- A. G. Voronovich, Waves Random Media 12, 341 (2002). CrossRef
- T. Elfouhaily, S. Guignard, and D. Thompson, Waves Random Media 13, 321 (2003). CrossRef
- T. Elfouhaily and C.-A. Guerin, Waves Random Media 14, R1 (2004). CrossRef
- Tangent plane approximation and some of its generalizations
Volume 53, Issue 3 , pp 298-304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- A. G. Voronovich (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. NOAA/Earth System Research Laboratory, Broadway 325, Boulder, CO, 80305, USA