Recovery of bean plants from boron-induced oxidative damage by zinc supply
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The effects of zinc on growth, boron uptake, lipid peroxidation, membrane permeability (MP), lypoxygenase (LOX) activity, proline and H2O2 accumulation, and the activities of major antioxidant enzymes (superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), and ascorbate peroxidase (APX)) in bean plants were investigated under greenhouse conditions. Treatments consisted of control, 20 mg/kg B, and 20 mg/kg B plus 20 mg/kg Zn. When the plants were grown with 20 mg/kg Zn, B toxicity was less severe. Zinc supplied to soil counteracted the deleterious effects of B on root and shoot growth. Excess B significantly increased and Zn treatment reduced B concentrations in shoot and root tissues. Applied Zn increased the Zn concentration in the roots and shoots. While the concentrations of H2O2 and proline were increased by B toxicity, their concentrations were decreased by Zn supply. Boron toxicity increased the MP, malondialdehyde content, and LOX activity in excised bean leaves. Applied Zn significantly ameliorated the membrane deterioration. Compared with control plants, the activity of SOD was increased while that of CAT was decreased and APX remained unchanged in B-stressed plants. However, application of Zn decreased the SOD and increased the CAT and APX activities under toxic B conditions. It is concluded that Zn supply alleviates B toxicity by preventing oxidative membrane damage.
- Torun, A., Gultekin, I., Kalayci, M., Yilmaz, A., Eker, S., and Cakmak, I., Effects of Zinc Fertilization on Grain Yield and Shoot Concentrations of Zinc, Boron, and Phosphorus of 25 Wheat Cultivars Grown on a Zinc Deficient and Boron-Toxic Soil, J. Plant Nutr., 2001, vol. 24, pp. 1817–1829. CrossRef
- Cakmak, I. and Marschner, H., Increase in Membrane Permeability and Exudation in Roots of Zinc Deficient Plants, J. Plant Physiol., 1988, vol. 132, pp. 356–361.
- Yu, Q. and Rengel, Z., Micronutrient Deficiency Influences Plant Growth and Activities of Superoxide Dismutase in Narrow-Leafed Lupines, Ann. Bot., 1999, vol. 83, pp. 175–182. CrossRef
- Mittler, R., Oxidative Stress, Antioxidants and Stress Tolerance, Trends Plant Sci., 2002, vol. 7, pp. 405–410. CrossRef
- Molassiotis, A., Sotiropoulos, T., Tanou, G., Diamantidis, G., and Therios, I., Boron-Induced Oxidative Damage and Antioxidant and Nucleolytic Responses in Shoot Tips Culture of the Apple Rootstock EM9 (Malus domestica Borkh), Environ. Exp. Bot., 2006, vol. 56, pp. 54–62. CrossRef
- Keles, Y., Oncel, I., and Yenice, N., Relationship between Boron Content and Antioxidant Compounds in Citrus Leaves Taken from Field with Different Water Source, Plant Soil, 2004, vol. 265, pp. 345–353. CrossRef
- Karabal, E., Yucel, M., and Oktem, H.A., Antioxidant Responses of Tolerant and Sensitive Barley Cultivars to Boron Toxicity, Plant Sci., 2003, vol. 164, pp. 925–933. CrossRef
- Cakmak, I. and Marschner, H., Zinc-Dependent Changes in ESR Signals, NADPH Oxidase and Plasma Membrane Permeability in Cotton Roots, Physiol. Plant., 1988, vol. 73, pp. 182–186. CrossRef
- Zhu, Z., Wie, G., Li, J., Qian, Q., and Yu, J., Silicon Alleviates Salt Stress and Increases Antioxidant Enzymes Activity in Leaves of Salt-Stressed Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.), Plant Sci., 2004, vol. 167, pp. 527–533. CrossRef
- Xiong, L. and Zhu, J.K., Molecular and Genetic Aspects of Plant Response to Osmotic Stress, Plant, Cell Environ., 2002, vol. 25, pp. 131–139. CrossRef
- Singh, J.P., Dahiya, D.J., and Narwai, R.P., Boron Uptake and Toxicity in Relation to Zinc Supply, Nutr. Cyc. Agroec., 1990, vol. 24, pp. 105–110.
- Gunes, A., Alpaslan, M., Cikili, Y., and Ozcan, H., Effect of Zinc on the Alleviation of Boron Toxicity in Tomato, J. Plant Nutr., 1999, vol. 22, pp. 1061–1068. CrossRef
- Marschner, H. and Cakmak, I., High Light Intensity Enhances Chlorosis and Necrosis in Leaves of Zn, K and Mg Deficient Plants, J. Plant Physiol., 1989, vol. 134, pp. 308–315.
- Hacisalihoglu, G., Hart, J.J., Wang, Y.H., Cakmak, I., and Kochian, L.V., Zinc Efficiency Is Correlated with Enhanced Expression and Activity of Zinc-Requiring Enzymes in Wheat, Plant Physiol., 2003, vol. 131, pp. 595–602. CrossRef
- Cakmak, I., Possible Roles of Zinc in Protecting Plant Cells from Damage by Reactive Oxygen Species, New Phytol., 2000, vol. 146, pp. 185–205. CrossRef
- Graham, R.D., Welch, R.M., Grunes, D.L., Cary, E.E., and Norvell, W.A., Effect of Zinc Deficiency on the Accumulation of Boron and Other Mineral Nutrients in Barley, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 1987, vol. 51, pp. 652–657. CrossRef
- Gong, H., Zhu, X., Chen, K., Wang, S., and Zhang, C., Silicon Alleviates Oxidative Damage of Wheat Plants in Pots under Drought, Plant Sci., 2005, vol. 169, pp. 313–321. CrossRef
- Nakano, Y. and Asada, K., Hydrogen Peroxide Is Scavenged by Ascorbate-Specific Peroxidase in Spinach Chloroplasts, Plant Cell Physiol., 1981, vol. 22, pp. 867–880.
- Cakmak, I., Strbac, D., and Marschner, H., Activities of Hydrogen Peroxide-Scavenging Enzymes in Germinated Wheat Seeds, J. Exp. Bot., 1993, vol. 44, pp. 127–132. CrossRef
- Axelrod, B., Cheesbrough, T.M., and Laakso, S., Lipoxigenases from Soybeans, Methods Enzymol., Lowenstein, J.M., Ed., New York: Academic, 1981, pp. 441–451.
- Hodges, D.M., DeLong, J.M., Forney, C.F., and Prange, R.K., Improving the Thiobarbituric Acid-Reactive-Substances Assay for Estimating Lipid Peroxidation in Plant Tissues Containing Anthocyanin and Other Interfering Compounds, Planta, 1999, vol. 207, pp. 604–611. CrossRef
- Yan, B., Dai, Q., Liu, X., Huang, S., and Wang, Z., Flooding-Induced Membrane Damage, Lipid Oxidation and Activated Oxygen Generation in Corn Leaves, Plant Soil, 1996, vol. 179, pp. 261–268. CrossRef
- Mukherjee, S.P. and Choudhuri, M.A., Implications of Water Stress-Induced Changes in the Levels of Endogenous Ascorbic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide in Vigna Seedlings, Physiol. Plant., 1983, vol. 58, pp. 166–170. CrossRef
- Bates, L.S., Waldren, R.P., and Teare, J.D., Rapid Determination of Proline for Water Stress Studies, Plant Soil, 1973, vol. 39, pp. 205–207. CrossRef
- Wolf, B., The Determination of Boron in Soil Extracts, Plant Materials, Composts, Manures, Water and Nutrient Solutions, Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 1971, vol. 2, pp. 363–374. CrossRef
- Gunes, A. and Alpaslan, M., Boron Uptake and Toxicity in Maize Genotypes in Relation to Boron and Phosphorus Supply, J. Plant Nutr., 2000, vol. 23, pp. 541–550. CrossRef
- Alpaslan, M. and Gunes, A., Interactive Effects of Boron and Salinity Stress on the Growth, Membrane Permeability and Mineral Composition of Tomato and Cucumber Plants, Plant Soil, 2001, vol. 236, pp. 123–128. CrossRef
- Mishra, A. and Choudhuri, M.A., Effect of Salicylic Acid on Heavy-Metal Induced Membrane Deterioration Mediated by Lipoxygenase in Rice, Biol. Plant., 1999, vol. 42, pp. 409–415. CrossRef
- Jain, M., Mathur, G., Koul, S., and Sarin, N.B., Ameliorative Effects of Proline on Salt Stressed Lipid Peroxidation in Cell Lines of Groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.), Plant Cell Rep., 2001, vol. 20, pp. 463–468. CrossRef
- Wang, H. and Jin, J.Y., Photosynthetic Rate, Chlorophyll Fluorescence Parameters, and Lipid Peroxidation of Maize Leaves as Affected by Zinc Deficiency, Photosynthetica, 2005, vol. 43, pp. 591–596. CrossRef
- Zhao, Z.Q., Zhu, Y.G., Kneer, R., and Smith, S.E., Effect of Zinc on Cadmium Toxicity-Induced Oxidative Stress in Winter Wheat Seedlings, J. Plant Nutr., 2005, vol. 28, pp. 1947–1959. CrossRef
- Inal, A. and Tarakcioglu, C., Effects of Nitrogen Forms on Growth, Nitrate Accumulation, Membrane Permeability and Nitrogen Use Efficiency of Hydroponically Grown Bunch Onion under Boron Deficiency and Toxicity, J. Plant Nutr., 2001, vol. 24, pp. 1521–1534. CrossRef
- Gilabert, M.P., Nicolas, J.M.L., and Carmona, F.G., Purification of a Novel Lypoxygenase from Eggplant (Solanum melongena) Fruit Chloroplast, Physiol. Plant., 2001, vol. 111, pp. 276–282. CrossRef
- Noctor, G. and Foyer, C.H., Ascorbate and Glutathione: Keeping Active Oxygen under Control, Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 1988, vol. 49, pp. 249–279. CrossRef
- Azevedo, N.A.D., Prisco, J.T., Eneas-Filho, J., Medeirosb, J.V.R., and Gomes-Filho, E., Hydrogen Peroxide Pre-Treatment Induces Salts Tress Acclimation in Maize Plants, J. Plant Physiol., 2005, vol. 162, pp. 1114–1122. CrossRef
- Garcia, P.O.C., Rivero, R.M., Lopez-Lefebre, L.R., Sanchez, E., Ruiz, J.M., and Romero, L., Response of Oxidative Metabolism to the Application of Carbendazim plus Boron in Tobacco, Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 2001, vol. 28, pp. 801–806.
- Cakmak, I. and Marschner, H., Enhanced Superoxide Radical Production in Roots of Zn-Deficient Plants, J. Exp. Bot., 1988, vol. 39, pp. 1449–1460. CrossRef
- Recovery of bean plants from boron-induced oxidative damage by zinc supply
Russian Journal of Plant Physiology
Volume 56, Issue 4 , pp 503-509
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- Phaseolus vulgaris
- antioxidant enzymes
- B toxicity
- oxidative stress
- Industry Sectors