Revision of the genus Poromitra (Melamphaidae): Part 2. New species of the group P. crassiceps
- A. N. Kotlyar
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Five new species of the genus Poromitra (family Melamphaidae) belonging to the group of species P. crassiceps are described. An important specific feature of this group is the structure of praeoperculum in which bony crests of the anterior edge are at an acute angle to each other, and the posterior and lower edges are uniformly (without break) spinulated with small spinules. In P. decipiens sp. nova described from the Indian Ocean (from the East Indian Ridge), the insertion of ventral fins is located posteriorly the vertical of the posterior edge of pectoral fin insertion, which makes this species similar to P. crassiceps and P. rugosa. The remaining four species have the insertion of ventral fins anteriorly the vertical (or at its level) of the posterior edge of pectoral fin insertion (as in P. unicornis and P. coronata). P. curilensis sp. nova inhabits the northern part of the Pacific Ocean from the Kuril Islands and the Japanese Islands to the Gulf of Alaska; P. indooceanica sp. nova is described from several individuals from the subtropical part of the Indian Ocean; P. glochidiata sp. nova, from catch in the Great Australian Bight; and P. kukuevi sp. nova, from the individual from the western tropical part of the Atlantic Ocean.
- A. W. Ebeling, “A New Indo-Pacific Bathypelagic-Fish Species of Poromitra and a Key to the Genus,” Copeia, No. 2, 306–315 (1975).
- A. W. Ebeling and W. H. Weed, “Order Xenoberyces (Stephanoberyciformes),” in Fishes of the Western North Atlantic, Mem. Seas Found Mar. Res., No. 1, Part 6, 397–478 (1973).
- A. N. Kotlyar, “Revision of the Genus Poromitra (Melamphaidae). Part 1: Species of Group R. crassiceps,” Vopr. Ikhtiol. 48(4), 437–450 (2008).
- Revision of the genus Poromitra (Melamphaidae): Part 2. New species of the group P. crassiceps
Journal of Ichthyology
Volume 48, Issue 8 , pp 553-564
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
- Additional Links
- A. N. Kotlyar (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences (IORAS), Nakhimovskii prospekt 36, Moscow, 117218, Russia